Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Soul/BFe sizing?
  • v666ern
    Free Member

So I’m currently riding a medium BFe, but quite fancy changing to the soul as I’m riding more xc than am nowadays. Question is I should be a large soul, 6′ with 34″ leg, but is there any point…I’ll swap the same gear and stem etc so will it just be a little more ‘reached’ out
    Basically med BFe to large soul, why or why not?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

its the same geometry, if you are ok on the bfe, you’ll be ok on the soul.

v666ern
    Free Member

Ps all my gear is pitch running gear, 140 pikes 2×9
    I’ll have to allow for new gear cables and brake hoses I assume, everything else would be a straight swap

chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

I use my BFE to ride XC, i prefered it to the soul which was a bit too springy. Be careful in that you may find the same thing.

If you ride a medium BFE now for long distances, you should be ok with a medium soul.

johnners
    Free Member

34″ inside leg on a medium? You must be right on the line with a 400mm post.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

slightly longer stem will give you the extra stretch, so I’d say stay medium on the Soul. Seatpost was 27.2 on my Soul but they may have changed that now. If it’s a weight-reducing activity then you could save some by going 1×10 and swapping the Pikes for something lighter.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Think top tube on latest Soul is slightly longer than BFE, c.5mm , according to Paul at Cotic anyway. I’ve had Large Soul (Mk2) as well as Medium BFE’s and now a Mk3 Soul, at 6ft with 33 ” inside leg I’d say medium is good for me. Large felt very long to me with a 50, 70mm stems.
    Welcome to throw a leg over mine if you are nearby(Lancs)
    Richard

v666ern
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I’m fod area unfortunately tricky thanks though. Guess I’m just being sold on it having more soul thing!
    Will save my pennies and hope I can find a cheap 2nd hand rocket frame next year! Someone please buy that one in the classifieds!

vertebratetom

I’m 6 foot with a 32″ inside leg and have ridden a medium Soul for years – 24 hour solos, gravity enduros, multi-day rides. It’s great. (Still using it as a singlespeed.)

Then I got a Stanton with a top tube the same length as a large soul – and the extra room feels better for pretty much everything.

Expanding on what chunkymonkey found, the new bike is much stiffer and better in corners. On the other hand, I’m getting kicked around a lot more and I think I preferred the flexier feel of the Soul for everything outside a downhill track. I guess it’s just what you’re used to!

If I was buying a 26″ hardtail for predominantly XC use, it would be a large soul.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Soul/BFe sizing?’ is closed to new replies.