Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Soul fork advice
  • kaysee

Well, it seems I have another set of forks to send back with a creaky crown – that’s 2xRS, 1xFox, and 1xMarzocchi (but they went back twice) in the last 6 years – dunno what I do to them cos I’m a strictly wheels-on-the-ground rider. Maybe I brake too much.

These ones should still be warranty jobs, but I’m getting a bit fed up with it. Fox F120 RL this time.

Options are –

send these back and wait for warranty and just refit them.

nab a set of older Marz Shiver SC 100mm forks which are available – cheap, but I’ll need a new front hub, and it’ll add some weight

Buy something else and see how long they last

fit rigid forks and be done with it.

Is anyone running rigid forks on a soul? If so, what axle-to-crown length are you using? Would I be better off with rigid 29er forks with a 26″ wheel to keep the geometry about the same?

Failing that, what forks could anyone recommend that are fairly light, but don’t have a crown made of cheese.

Depending on the outcome, there may be a minty-mint set of F120 RLs up for sale soon with new crown assembly and freshly serviced. Oh, and yes, they’ve had the lift-the-seals service every 15 hours. Ish.

singletracksurfer

I was recommended revaltions by lots of other soul riders and they’ve been great. Got the adjustable travel ones. Perfect.

JoeBones
    Free Member

Pikes or Revs

tang
    Free Member

maxle reba or revs.

Northwind

08 model dual-air revs are perfect for me, bang on the right size (100-130mm u-turn), reasonably light, and very effective. They seem to match the frame quite well.

Speshpaul

Menja’s from cotic.
    Very well made, 1700g, plush, £350, good warranty, and service intervals of “about a year!”

kaysee

I guess I’ll get the forks back to the shop tomorrow, and see what they say. I’m away for a week now anyway, so waiting for a warranty might not be too bad. Shame really, cos I’ve been considering getting then F120s Pushed. They ride well, it’s just the usual service issues I’m worried about.

kaysee

Well I’ve back from my trip to find my forks repaired and waiting for me. Initial impressions are good – they seem a bit plusher, and give me much closer to full travel.

Hopefully I’ll get to try them this afternoon – fingers crossed I don’t brake them again.

topangarider
    Free Member

Magura Menja?

Vortexracing

Pikes or Reba teams here, had both, and both have been great. I must admit I do like the 20mm axle options.

topangarider
    Free Member

Menja’s are stiff as – and no need for 20mm axle.

johnners
    Free Member

Menja’s are stiff as – and no need for 20mm axle

However stiff they are, I’d be amazed if bolting through the sliders didn’t produce a stiffer front end than just clamping on the sides of the hub.

househusband

Kinda see what topangarider is saying…

I’ve gone from Pikes to Menjas and have been utterly amazed to find I am still very much alive! No doubt a 20mm bolt/screw through front end might be more secure, but I do wonder if the perceived stiffness is really noticeable..? I’m not exactly lightweight at 15st, and really haven’t noticed any lack of stiffness at the front end. Even if it is, is it *that* important? Dropping 800g from the front end of the bike (they were coil Pikes) has made so much difference and transformed my bike.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Happy with 130 Menjas here too.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Soul fork advice’ is closed to new replies.