Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Sorry….should I get an iphone5?
  • What’s the differences? Will i notice? Got a 4s ATM…..any decent deals or am I gonna have to pay for the phone?

Couldn’t find a good thread on this but I’m sure it’s been done!

starsh78
    Free Member

wait for the 5s

5s? Noted ta,what if I can’t wait?

Stuey01
    Free Member

Pointless if you have the 4s, imo, unless due an upgrade anyway

I’ve seen one and it just looks a bit bigger/lighter..

footflaps

I’m sticking with my 4s. The 5 has IoS 6 and crappy Apple Maps, which is a deal breaker for me.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you’ve got a 4s I seriously wouldn’t bother unless you like spending money for the sake of it!
    I upgraded from a 4 to a 5 and there’s a lot more it can do, and it’s noticably faster etc, but I upgrade every 2 years so I can SEE the difference. Not worth it every year, just throwing good money after bad IMO 🙂
    That’s the beauty of iPhones – They will last 2 years and still look good and be worth money at that age

Yup that’s what I thought…I’m due an upgrade in the spring so will probably wait…not cheap is it? Just googled a few companies and there’s not any good deals on ATM

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yup that’s what I thought…I’m due an upgrade in the spring so will probably wait

When your contract is out, drop to sim only for a few months, save some money, then get a 5S next September.

thorpie
    Free Member

I’ve had a 5 for a few weeks now and actually found the mapping to be really good, especially when using the 3d satnav.

johndoh
    Free Member

I don’t know why anyone gets them on contract now – 24 months at around £40 a month. Buy one from the Apple shop for £530 and stick it on GiffGaff – then sell and upgrade at your leisure. In 24 months you will only have spent £770 against £960 on a compatible contract tariff.

And my local indie guy will cut down a giffgaff micro sim for £2 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah. I bought mine outright. But I needed 64gb……
    Ouch!

Sandwich

Footflaps there’s a way of getting GoogleMaps on iOS6. Visit GoogleMaps on Safari and it will encourage you to tap the box at the bottom of the screen. This will put an html app on a homescreen that links directly to GoogleMaps. Works well too.

deviant
    Free Member

Peter Poddy, the 5S is coming early next year, Apple are going to do what they did with the iPad and release a new one early. Don’t know why they are breaking from their usual annual update but the tech sites are full of it.
    Poor form if true given that a lot of people are paying £500+ for the new one only to see it superceded before a year is out.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Poor form if true given that a lot of people are paying £500+ for the new one only to see it superceded before a year is out.

No one is making those poor, poor people buy a new phone.

jfletch
    Free Member

£500+ for the new one only to see it superceded before a year is out.

This isn’t logical. Just because your gadget has been superseded doesn’t mean it was worth any less when you bought it.

jota180
    Free Member

That’s totally lost on me, why should another model coming out have any effect on the functionality of the one you bought previously?

jambalaya
    Free Member

For me the bigger screen and lighter weight of the 5 are appealing, I have a 4S and wouldn’t change unless it was attractive price/contract wise. Perhaps the deal will be get a 5 when the 5S comes out if the 5 is retained and discounted

footflaps

actually found the mapping to be really good

It might look flash, but if you compare the two side by side, Google Maps has way more detail (in the UK). Go to a random capital city in Africa and the difference is huge. Apple’s maps seem to come from 10 years ago, so half the roads are missing. Google’s are bang up to date, with shops and offices all identified and correctly named.

Footflaps there’s a way of getting GoogleMaps on iOS6

Yep I know, but I’m not spending £600 on an inferior product, just so I can use a bodge to try and get somewhere back to where I was….

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Apple maps also worms its way into all your other software that uses maps, like Strava, Endomondo, Rightmove, whatever – so avoiding it is not as simple as having Google maps on your home page.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

This isn’t logical. Just because your gadget has been superseded doesn’t mean it was worth any less when you bought it.

Consumerism isn’t logical

thorpie
    Free Member

I was due an upgrade, sold my iPhone 4 for £210 on eBay and paid £214 for a 5 on a similar contract, so cost me £4 to get one, tied in for 2 years but then so are most contracts now.

deviant
    Free Member

Jota 180, the functionality of the existing phone remains the same when a new model is released (obviously) but if the new model has a better screen, larger battery etc it will be seen as an improvement, this hits second hand values of the previous model.

iPhone 4S prices dropped when the 5 was released….the same will happen to the 5 if Apple release a 5S next year….and eventually Apple stop rolling out iOS updates to older models.

Can’t believe I had to explain that, it’s not a difficult concept and happens every day in other industries….a new model of a mountain bike for example hits the second hand value of the one currently out there..doesn’t change how the bike works, just takes the shine of it and reduces its monetary value.

FuzzyWuzzy

You weren’t really talking about second-hand value before though were you, you’ve just realised that’s about the only non “I want to show off my latest toy” argument to support your comment. And does anyone really think about second-hand values when buying new bits of technology? It’s not like there’s not another Android phone practically every day and Samsung themselves are about to bring out another top-end handset so it’s not just Apple being evil, they’re a business like every other player in the market. Oh and I still have a 3GS, works fine for me even with iOS 6 on it.

jam-bo

Go to a random capital city in Africa and the difference is huge.

not a big deal breaker for me…

used the maps sat nav for the first time the other day and got me across rush hour bristol in time for the flight I would have missed had I gone the route I knew.

saxabar
    Free Member

No – keep the 4, arrange a massive drop in fee from your service provider (mine is now £7pm), and put the extra £35pm towards an Alps trip.

steve-g
    Free Member

Saxabar – £7pm, I need some of that action, who is good for a SIM only deal?

I have a 3GS that I got on a 2 year deal for £20pm, and that is nearly up. I am running IOS6 with no problems and the phone does more than I need it to do so I am going the SIM only route

saxabar
    Free Member

I’m with Orange. My contract was up for renewal but I’d been paying over the odds for some time. Rather than having me leave for O2 they offered me a £7pm deal. I doubt they did me any special favours though. If I recollect, it’s 150mins pm, more texts than I’ll ever use and ample internet access (the latter was the important part).

tonyd

The 5 is a lovely phone, I just got one this week (last iPhone was a 1). Mine was through work mind, I wouldn’t/couldn’t pay for one.

If you need to ask what the differences are perhaps your current phone is doing all you need it to do?!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

tied in for 2 years but then so are most contracts now.

They are. I simply will not sign up for a 2 year contract. As far as I can see its companies dragging money out of gullible people who MUST have the latest thing NOW but actually can’t afford it.
    I don’t throw my money around lightly. I don’t earn enough to do that big I do like the odd expensive treat. A new phone every 2 years, a new camera every 4 or 5 years and a pair of Oakleys about every 7 years! 🙂

Cougar

As a general rule, you pay less overall (but more per month) on an 18 month contract.

ericemel
    Free Member

I went 4 to 5 – worth it

I probably wouldn’t rush form a 4s though unless you are out of contract.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Sorry….should I get an iphone5?’ is closed to new replies.