Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Sorry – what 26" rear tyre to go with Chunky Monkey up front
  • filks

Sorry for the boring question! General all round use, downs more important than ups, for aggro full susser (160mm travel)

I have on the list
    Chunky monkey firm compound
    Maxxis HR2 3c 2.3
    Maxxis Minion DHR 2.3
    Spesh Purgatory GRID 2.3

Anything else I should consider? Are the Maxxis tyres decent actual rather than list size (width/volume)?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Isn’t http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYOOSM26X225/on-one-smorgasbord-26×225-tyre designed to work with the Chunky Monkey?

poah
    Free Member

depends on the conditions – I use a spesh slaughter for trail centres on the rear and I’ve got a DHR2 2.4 for pretty much everything else other than mud when I use a baron 2.4. Either have a DHR2 2.4 or a baron 2.4 at the front.

munakorva
    Free Member

Put the Monkey rear. All those maxxis options are more aggressive than that On one rubber.

coupled with chunky monkey I would recommed 2.5″ widetrail versions from maxxis. Or Schwalbe tyres. Chunky Monkey runs big in size.

Im running Magic mary front and the single ply Chunky monkey rear. Solid combo. Im having similar bike. 140mm, cotic bfe. Descenting, doing jumps, just playing around.
    Last season I had Trailstar snakeskin MM and now having the super gravity vertstar version. At the time with magic marys I have tried few tires in rear. Another magic mary, nobby nic, hr II.. but I always end up putting chunky monkey back. Its tough, grippy enough, but still fun to slide. Safe and solid

mb51
    Free Member

MagicMary evo snakeskin trailstar up front and HighRoller2 exo tr 60/62 on back is what i use on my bikes.Their both not the softest compounds? ,but give the best performance vs longevity. The MagicMary although a 2.35 it’s actual size is 2.4 easy, and the HighRoller2 is a accurate 2.3. I use them in all weather conditions and types of trails, and they’ve never let me down, can’t knock them at all.

chakaping
    Free Member

How strong a casing do you need? What are your local trails like? Rocky? Rooty? Muddy?

treksuperfly
    Free Member

Bontrager XR4 Team Issue TLR like the very lightly use one I’ve got forsale for £17 posted

filks

Chakaping – my trails are the Surrey Hills. Sandy and roots
    Treksuperfly – does the XR4 come up big in terms of volume?

chakaping
    Free Member

Minion DHR 2 exo 60a.

treksuperfly
    Free Member

Very similar to a Minion in size

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sorry – what 26" rear tyre to go with Chunky Monkey up front’ is closed to new replies.