Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Sorry its a tyre thread – what alternative to mountain kings?
  • scotabroad

I just got a Genesis Core 50 which came with 2.2 Mountain Kings.

Absolutely love how fast it rolls along, its a breath of fresh air so it is.

But.

The mountain kings roll very well but are not confidence inspiring in the corners. I normally run my other bikes with Maxi HR's or advantages, but I dont want to lose the fast rolling characteristics of the high rollers.

Happy to lose some cornering ability that the Maxis have but really do want to improve on the MK's lack of corner feel.

Cheers

S

RealMan
    Free Member

conti rubber queens

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Specialized Captain 2.2. The Mountain King is the worst tyre I've ever used.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I'm runnink a 2.2 MK on the rear, don't think i'd like it on the front so using a vertical pro on the front and it works for me. Or, get the 2.4 MK for the front. Although the tread pattern is the same, the knobs are taller and bigger so are a bit grippier.

popstar
    Free Member

I wouldn't try MK2.4 , as they are the ones I have swapped for Maxis Minions instead, albeit in 2.2 guise. In real life they are more like 2.1 but boy they do much better in cornering, but considering rolling speed they are slower, but not draggy. Swapped combo from F-Mountain King R-Race King to F-Maxis Minion R-Maxis Highroller. The bike doesn't roll as fast, but boy it grips!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

What about the Maxxis Aspen? They have the characteristic Maxxis edge knobs but with a rounder profile and have quite a shallow centre tread. They look fast.

Maxxis Crossmark is another faster Maxxis tyre I quite fancy on the back wheel of my HT

joolsburger
    Free Member

How do you mean not confidence inspiring?? I haven't been able to actually loose either end of my bike using the MK's in 2.4 size and I'd like to think I corner pretty hard and fast. I have tried changing them out for Speed Kings, Verticals, 2.1 high rollers and most recently some Specialized Enduros I had hanging around. I've always gone back to them as I'm not happy with how draggy other tyres feel in comparison..Is it really a problem or do you just think they don't feel grippy?

mcinnes
    Free Member

My experience is also +1 for MKs as a rubbishy tyre. I had lots of seemingly inexplicable pinch flats and just didn't get on with them.

Personally I love High Rollers, have been getting on nicely with Ardents too.

baronspudulike
    Free Member

I tried Panaracer Razors 2.3" about this time last year, was woried I'd be on the deck all the time with the low profile grips and fast rolling design. But very very pleased with the grip they offer. Been running them for the last three weeks in Keswick area with no grip losing issues.

hora
    Free Member

Crossmark = fast rolling but lethal due to that almost straight/one-thickness centre tread?

The only answer is Ardent. Amazing.

Nonsense
    Free Member

I had MK's on my genesis hardtail and they are the OE crappy rubber versions. I run Crossmark 2.25 60a on the back and Ardent/Advantage 2.25 on the front of my bikes. Great combo, fast and grippy and the rear always lets go before the front. Not the best in winter though.

Kahurangi

The STW consensus is that std (hard compound) MK's are shite no matter what. The 2.4's in Black Chilli compound may be good.

I like mine!

nickc

The larger sized MK are OK, but the OEM cheapo 2.2 versions are awful. (almost as bad as Vapours…*shudders* )

Nobby Nics or High Rollers are all I'm bothering with these days

rockhopperbike

I have had MK 2.2 as OEM's on my crush, – agreed not a good front tyre, but when you look at em, they are only an £8 tyre- whaddya expect!?, swapped my front for Spesh Captain 2.2, IMHO much better

MRanger156
    Free Member

The crossmark is an amazing tyre for the rear in the summer. It does drift a bit but controllably and its fast. Main downside is the descent 62a version is a bit vulnerable.

popstar
    Free Member

MK's are good on most surfaces, but once it's kind of soft-pack sandy trails … you would know and guess that something isn't right! The inconsistency of predicting that front tyre going to byte, that's what pulled me off it. Managed to ride them in wet, they were a little below average even in 2.4 guise.

orangefive
    Free Member

Ignitor 2.35's

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Sorry its a tyre thread – what alternative to mountain kings?’ is closed to new replies.