Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • sorry. i know it’s been done before but,
  • alpin
    Free Member

superstar. need some pads. no recent mighty failures?

what is better for he Alps – i.e. better heat dissipation/longevity?

had a look on the site and couldn’t find any standard non-uppy-downy seatposts. is he/they still doing standard carbon posts? (27.2)

cheers

Stu_N

Buy cheap, buy twice. Especially on superstar pads.

Pook

superstar, disco pads. All fine.

Oh, and that little epithet “Buy cheap, buy twice” – you get them for half the price so everyones a winner baby.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

mine have been going strong through the peaks grit mub since early april – very good, and they have outlasted the expensive fibrax ones i had before

glenp
    Free Member

Buy cheap, buy twice is simply untrue in the case of ss sintered pads. Disco pads also v good, in my experience.

“Buy official, pay quadruple” is a better mantra.

Stu_N

I can only vouch for the organic ones, but they seem to be about as durable as a digestive biscuit.

Going back to Goodridge ones, which cost 2 or 3 times as much but last 5 times longer.

jules.b
    Free Member

I’ve just got back from Verbier. When I arived I was using Superstar sintered pads in XTR calipers. They were fine in the UK, but a significant problem in the alps where at times we were descending for up to 1700m. The braking was OK, but the heat build up was exceptional, in the calipers as well as the discs. As the heat built up so the squealing from the calipers increased to an intolerable level. This was not a problem in the past with Shimano pads. The heat was so intense that the coating on the brake hoses bagan to bubble where they adjoined the calipers. I changed to A2Z organic pads and the problem was resolved – no noise and reduced heat.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

You get less heat build up in resin and organic pads than sintered – I don’t think it was superstar sintered that was the problen, it was just the fact they were sintered. The downside for resin/organic pads is that they generally don’t last as long in wet gritty uk conditions.

I’ve used SS sintered in the alps and in Italy with no problems but it probably depends what brakes you’re using as to whether the heat generated becomes a problem.

Agree with GlenP, buy official, pay quadruple and I don’t think you get any more miles out of the official ones.

rOcKeTdOg

no issues with the superstar pads in the 3 months i’ve had them

househusband

Superstar had a problem with a batch of pads about eighteen months ago; the pads delaminated from the backing – initially they denied the issue and blamed the user, but did finally admit there was a problem with the batch. I’ve since gone back to SS sintered pads and they’ve been fine.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘sorry. i know it’s been done before but,’ is closed to new replies.