Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Sorry for more tubeless related stuff – Hope stans kit, tape width?
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

Hope someone can help.

The hope tubeless conversion kits – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=49111

Is the included tape 21 or 25mm width?

It’s a bit confusing as it states suitable for “355s and flows”, but both rims need different width tape.

boxxer7
    Free Member

Fitted my flows no probs the tape went from edge to edge with no gaps left

Dave.

mattjg
    Free Member

24mm I have it in front of me and measured it.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yellow tape for 355’s and crests, the flows I don’t know

mattjg
    Free Member

The tape I measured is yellow, as per the CRC pic.

IanW
    Free Member

25mm for Flows.

Have you got a co2 inflator? Its probably a good idea, try to seat the tyre as much as possible first then woosh!

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s supposed to be 25mm. The idea is you cut it down for rims that need 21mm tape. Buggered if I’m doing that though!

honourablegeorge

Acording to Stan’s. the Crests take the 21 or 25mm tape

http://www.notubes.com/ZTR-Crest-26-32-Hole-Black-P341C54.aspx

mattjg
    Free Member

OK am abut to tape up my Crests with 25mm tape – looks too big for me. Here goes, back later …

mattjg
    Free Member

Nope I don’t buy it, it’s never going to work. Checking with the shop (CRC) …

mattjg
    Free Member

OK I ordered the 21mm tape from Wiggle now. The CRC page product name for the kit that came with 24mm (with no options) is ‘Hope Tubeless Kit for Hoops on Stans ZTR From …’ tho the body text does say Flows and 355s without mentioning Crest. Grrrrrr.

They’re not going on tonight then!

blanklook

Just Riding Along recommend the 25mm tape for crests – although both widths work the 25mm gives a tighter fit…

Mr5O
    Free Member

I taped up my crest rims on Sat with the 25mm wide yellow tape fine, it comes up either side slightly but has made a good seal, tyres are still up with no sealant in yet. I thought the tape would be to wide but it’s what Just Riding Along recommended.

Running an old bent spoke along the sides of the rim helped push the tape into the corners and not cover the bead slot, if that makes sense,

Hope the above makes sense

mattjg
    Free Member

OK, thx guys, does the tape need to go right down into the central gutter where the spoke holes are, rather than bridging across it? (I guess that would make sense actually).

Mr5O
    Free Member

Yep make sure it is pressed right down in the centre otherwise it will cover the bead slot

mattjg
    Free Member

So far all I’ve made is a twisty bobbly mess. I could never wrap presents properly either, my mum did it for me. Perhaps I should ask her to fit the rim tape too.

mattjg
    Free Member

That guy on the video makes it look so easy. But I bet he’s done hundreds.

Mr5O
    Free Member

Just take your time, luckily for me I have a truing stand which made it a lot easier, if you haven’t got one try putting the wheel in the bike with the bike upside down.

Pull it tight as your sticking it down and work from the centre towards the rims

mattjg
    Free Member

Ta, I had my wheel installed on the bike in a work stand. I’ll take it off and have another go tomorrow, perhaps sitting down may easier actually. I’m just doing the front for now as I can drop another wheel in and still go riding if it doesn’t work out, kinda like cataract ops I’ll not start the rear until the front is up and running!

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

theres a video of fitting on stans site

http://www.notubes.com/Movies.aspx

scroll down for yellow tape instal. I fitted it as per instructions and have had no problems.

mattjg
    Free Member

Update: I slept on it and had another crack this morning, my Crest rim is currently happily holding 35psi with 24mm tape without sealant (tyre: Bontrager Mud X 2.0). If you’re a bit klutzy like me it’s probably easier to use 24mm tape then trim it after (this gives you a bit of a margin of error during the install if you don’t get it totally straight) than use 21mm tape and have to get it bang on straight during the install.

I didn’t try to centre the tape during the install, instead I concentrated on getting one edge of the tape bang up against the point where the ‘bench’ of the rim meets the wall on one side only, this will mean at the opposite side of the rim the 24mm tape will stick against the wall as well as the bench.

I used my thumbnail and a tyre lever for pressure, one time I split the tape with my thumbnail so took it off, trimmed the nail, and did it again.

Once the tape was on all around, I made sure it was tight and flat on both benches and trimmed it at the bench/wall interface on the ‘opposite’ side.

I did it sitting on the sofa with the wheel on the floor, this made it easier to grip, and work on from above for better grip and weight for the stretch, rather than from the side with the wheel installed in a frame or spinny thing going all over the place. A few cm of tape at a time, and taking my time as 5 O says. Don’t try and copy the guy in the video who does it in 60 seconds, it took me a few minutes.

At one point during the install I could see I had weakened the tape over the gutter at one place (too much pressure with thumbnail I would think). So once it was all done I trimmed and stuck a small second layer of tape over that area, it seems to have held.

I didn’t do the first inflation with a tube in the tyre, with this combination a tube simply won’t fit.

I had to use a tyre lever to complete the tyre install: I’m a keyboard jockey and don’t have the finger strength more practical folks would. That’s a time to take care to not damage the tape install.

The valve is the other potential problem area, do it nice and tight.

I’ll probably install the sealant through the valve rather than take the tyre off the beading. Update later.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Sorry for more tubeless related stuff – Hope stans kit, tape width?’ is closed to new replies.