Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • sorry – Conti Trail King – UST or Protection?
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member

Conti do a few versions of their black chili Trail King. I’m wondering what the difference is between the ProTection and UST versions.

2.2 Protection – tubeless ready/bead and 750g (stated) and 4-ply, 240tpi

2.2 UST – tubeless obviously and 800g stated, 3-ply, 330tpi

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20rubberqueen.shtml

They appear to be very similar specs on paper yet there’s less info around about the UST version. I’m basically after a tough rear tyre so it’s the sidewall that’s of interest. It’ll be run tubeless on FlowEX.

Anyone?

nickdavies

As far as I was awarer UST were only for UST rims – the protection versions sit better on the tubeless ready rims due to the different bead.

You shouldn’t have a problem with protection, I’ve ran both RQ & XK with 0 tubeless issues. If you want a tough rear tire you might want to look at maxxis the conti sidewalls don’t last that well imo, but they are great tyres otherwise.

qwerty
    Free Member

The “protection” is the addition of extra sidewall material, love mine on the front.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ll probably plump for the protection version as I can’t find any info on the UST one. I just like proper UST tyres on the rear as they tend to have decent burly sudewalls. The Maxxis LUSTs keep splitting on me.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I love conti tyres especially rubber queen/trail kings but I’ve had 3 new tyres badly warped when fitted 1 was so bad that it touched the frame when the wheel was span.
    Next day tyres where great and exchanged them for me but did say conti tyres where bad for being warped.
    Even the one I have fitted now isn’t great…
    It’s worth checking before using it.

cultsdave
    Free Member

I have used various conti tyres both protection and UST their side walls are crap. Holes in them within minutes.
    Now running a snakeskin magic mary up front with a High Roller Exo on the rear and no issues. I will not use conti’s again.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘sorry – Conti Trail King – UST or Protection?’ is closed to new replies.