• This topic has 16 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by toby1.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Sorry, cars: Any RS Megane (Cup) owners?
  • Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Just wondering about one of these, anybody got/had one and any experiences or ownership thoughts to share?

I want something fun to drive. Considered a Clio Cup cos no turbo, but perhaps a Megane more realistic for daily commute duties..?

colournoise

Had one of the previous shape (with the oddish looking squared off back end and bulbous arse).

Best (most fun) drivers car I’ve ever had – proper quick (0-60 6 seconds, 155 flat out) – you won’t find much that’s ‘everyday’ fast this side of supercar money. Handled like a go cart – cup chassis is – erm – quite stiff and tyre are very low profile, so ride comfort is a little compromised.

With the seats down would take a bike with the front wheel out.

Downsides? Expensive to run – drinks fuel (20mpg) if you’re heavy footed and as pretty much nothing is a standard Renault part spares are pricey too.

Would I have another one? Absolutely!

godzilla
    Free Member

Ive a Clio 200 full fat with the factory cup pack and while it’s the most fun ever the ride is very stiff and you have to work the gearbox quite a lot.
    I wouldn’t want to commute in it because of A the ride and B it egg’s me on to drive like a d1ck,
    Is the Megane not turbo’d?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Thanks both. I think a test drive is in order, Godzilla’s comment about egging on to drive like a d1ck makes me want one even more. K-Tec have a Clio Cup with Akraprovic exhaust at the moment …

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sister had one on i think a 60 plate. Good car, I drove it a few times, if anything everything is a bit hasty, rushed almost when driving it in a spirited manner, it always seemed close to the edge. I’d still go for a scoob over one of those personally.

godzilla
    Free Member

if you get one id think carefully about Getting a Cup packed car and not a Cup, Cup’s are pretty spatan with no toys and the same performance just a small weigh reduction.
    Ive had and driven loads of hot hatches but very few cars come close to a Renaultspot off the shel if your after that road track feel, the firm ride quick steering and really make it feel faster than it is which is part of its charm to me.
    Mine is white with anthracite pack Recaro’s but sadly only 26k 😥 because my girlfriend HATES the ride, HATES the Recaro’s and it car gives her a bad neck.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Ha, this thread sums up my anxiety …

This:

the most fun ever

versus:

my girlfriend HATES the ride

TheFlyingOx

Ha, this thread sums up my anxiety …

This:

the most fun ever
    versus:

my girlfriend HATES the ride

[/quote]
    If it’s all you’ve got, they make do. I took my wife to the maternity ward to give birth to FlyingOx Jr in a tuned RX7. I think the ride helped move things along a bit 😆

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

If it’s all you’ve got, they make do.

Yeah, this is my thinking. As long as it’s got leather seats I think I can get away with it.

julians
    Free Member

Mine is white with anthracite pack Recaro’s but sadly only 26k because my girlfriend HATES the ride, HATES the Recaro’s and it car gives her a bad neck

Take her out in an FN2 (the previous shape) Civic Type R, then she’ll think the RS megane is a limo in comparison.

Wife has owned an FN2 Civic Type R for the last 8 years, I like fast stiff cars (I have a track only caterham 7 with roll cage, race dampers and springs), but the civic is bordering on the ridiculous for me, it is not much less stiff than my caterham, its that bad.

DrP

I wouldn’t want to commute in it because of A the ride and B it egg’s me on to drive like a d1ck,

When we had our Type R, i found exactly the same – was lovely to drive, but you always felt like you were ‘leaning forwards, waiting to drop a gear a thrash the thing’…
    I know this mentality shouldn’t be there, but just be aware of it.

DrP

easygirl

I’ve had a megane sport, new shape with cup pack
    The best handling car I’ve ever owned, and I’ve had a few
    Very fast, and it slingshots yiu out of corners with the diff
    If yiu get the full fat , with the cup pack it’s got more toys
    Be aware though, the cup chassis is very stiff, and makes for a jittery jolts ride on anything except smooth surfaces
    Can get a little tiring if you are not going at warp factor 9
    Fantastic car though

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

leaning forwards, waiting to drop a gear a thrash the thing

…that’s exactly the feeling I’m after 😈 it’s what I miss in the TT, which encourages you sit back, and change up, if anything.

Interesting comparisons to Type Rs, I took out an FN2 on an extended test drive and loved it, but I did have a headache after 30 minutes and was glad to get out and give the thing back by the end of the drive. So it’s good to hear the Cup experience isn’t quite as bad as that.

Will mainly be a weekend car … so I think a test drive is in order.

I’m glad no-one’s mentioned a Golf GTI, which is probably what I should be considering. Already got a Passat for the sensible. I feel like following my heart for a change. RS-cars make me smile on the inside – I love the attitude – they’re almost like something that’s made production by mistake. Like a last win for the engineers over marketing.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Not got too much experience of the Meganes, but plenty of RS Clios have been owned in the family due to a friend working at Renault and their amazing friends and family discounts.

The little Clios were great cars, relaible, quick, fun to drive and actually not too bad to live with.

The Megane should be a bit easier to live with being a bit bigger, turbo charged etc (the older N/A 172/182/192 etc Clios needed / wanted thrashing all of the time).

Re the Golf GTi they’re good cars bit not hugely exciting. I’ve never got the point of them until test driving a few. They make sense if you need one car to cover lots of bases. I wouldn’t touch one if it was reserved for fun.

godzilla
    Free Member

I like that Megane, I toyed with the idea of getting my Recaro cs trimmed in a similar fashion at the Seat surgeons.

toby1

GTI, nope – R32, maybe 😉

I too think the Renault sports look like fun, even though they bear the Renault badge.

Harsh Civic EP3 ride here, did 2000 miles around France in it on September, loved it 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Sorry, cars: Any RS Megane (Cup) owners?’ is closed to new replies.