Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Sorry but… what tyres?
  • FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve been out of MTBing for a couple of years, mostly used to do local trails and trail centres (blue/reds), with a new bike on the way I need to swap the apparently shite tyres it comes with (crossrocs).

Previously used Hans Dampfs (trailstar front/pacestar rear) and they seemed fine to me but is there anything better (need 27.5’s) around now for general trail riding? Also the Hans Dampf trailstar 2.35’s seem out of stock the usual places so might not be an option anyway, would a Minion DHF be overkill on the front instead? Probably won’t be riding much in the mud (will use the old bike for that). Was never a fan of High Rollers either due to the square edge, I assume 2’s are similar in that regard?

jekkyl

black ones, make sure they’re round as well. 😉

mattyfez

If you want to stay with Schwalbe, thier website has a handy tyre chooser you can play around with.

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

For best results I recommend two tyres and applying one to each end of the bike

mudfish

Lots of folk love the Minion DHF so there must be something special going on. Conti Trail Kings are good, 2.4 front 2.2 rear. Winter is coming, so maybe read up on Barons. HD Trailstar is good but does block in mud. Spesh tyres are good value, Ground Control is surprisingly grippy and fast. For real mud the Spesh Storm and Bonto XR mud are wirth a look. Its rather terrain deependent, look what your locals are using?

rickon
    Free Member

HD trailstar front and Pacestar rear. Can’t really go wrong. If it’s just for riding trail centres then anything will do. Barons are pointless, as youre not going to encounter anything worth needing that mud shedding ability at trail centres.

Maxxis HR2 exo 3c front and ardent dual conpound exo rear would also be a good option.

As would Bontrager XR4 front and XR3 rear.

djflexure

Specialized Butcher front, Purgatory rear – both with the Grid casing gives a decent all round combination.

zelak999
    Free Member

I favour HR2s over all others I’ve tried.
    Good general all purpose tyre imo.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Sorry but… what tyres?’ is closed to new replies.