Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Sorry. Another warranty question.
  • andrewh
    Free Member

I buy a frame, which then breaks after about 2 months.
    I inform the retailer who puts me in touch with the manufacturer.
    I send the frame back to the manufacturer
    The manufacturer then goes bust.
    What recourse do I have to the retailer?

Cheers.

nonk
    Free Member

they have to sort you out.
    harsh on them but it’s the law.

nonk
    Free Member

they dont have to give you money back though if they can offer a suitable replacement.

druidh
    Free Member

The retailer still has responsibility to sort you out, regardless of any contact you have had with the manufacturer.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

repair / replace / refund – your choice – from the retailer.

google sale of goods act. check with info on the consumer direct website

andrewh
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies so far
    If it’s my choice I would take refund. Frame quality was shocking, obvious things like not threadlocking the bolts, and then one tube just delaminated, third time I had ridden it.
    Repair is not an option as I no longer have it and I don’t like the sound of replace, I don’t want another one after a terrible experiance with them. It was a PITA just getting it to turn up in the first place!
    Does it make any difference if it was a cost-price sale from the man who runs the team to a sponsored rider, rather than a man walking into a shop and buying it?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Does it make any difference if it was a cost-price sale from the man who runs the team to a sponsored rider, rather than a man walking into a shop and buying it?

yes I would think so. Not the normal retailer / purchaser deal

Repair is not an option as I no longer have it

who has got it?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

If you have proof you bought it off him. Then I don’t think its any different. If your sponsored i’d have thought you get a replacement to stay on the team or whatever,

lunge

If you bought it from the retailer then it is their problem to sort out, irrelevent of the details of the sale.

If you bought it “from a bloke” then you are on slightly more interesting ground.

andrewh
    Free Member

I no longer have it because I sent it back to the manufacturer, expecting a new one to arrive, which it hasn’t.
    One would think a replacement from the team would be easy enough but with the manufacturer going bust they are quite tricky to get hold of. The chap who runs it has given them several thousand pounds for frames which havene’t arrived at all, so I feel a bit guilty about chasing him for it but I think I’m going to get bugger all from the manufacturer.

highclimber
    Free Member

The retailer was wrong to let you arrange a replacement. given that you have done what they told you and are awaiting for a replacement, I am unsure as to your legal standing now. I suspect that your contract with the retailer still stands. if the frame doesn’t show up and assuming you paid for it with a credit card you could feasibly make a claim under section 75 of consumer credit act.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sending the frame back was a mistake. Its still your frame – where is it now? contact the administrator for return?

With you basically doing a private deal its an interesting and tricky one.

Is the chap you bought it from a trader? What is his connection to the shop?

Of course the other thing is how did it break? NO obvious answers as far as I or Mrs TJ can see – sorry

andrewh
    Free Member

No credit card unfortunately, bank transfer.
    The man who runs the team set himself up as the importer (sole trader) and I bought 1 full-suss and 1 HT frame from him at cost. The full suss is the broken one, the seat-tube went, a break right through but not a snapping, it’s like the layers of carbon just separated themselves, almost as if they hadn’t been glued properly. Not sure the company’s administrators would still have it, I expect the company would have just chucked it once they had verified it was a legit warranty issue.

showerman
    Free Member

for the sake of other people who may have one and me being nosey the manufacturer was?

druidh
    Free Member

showerman – think… what is the ugliest bike you’ve ever seen. No – I mean, really, really ugly…..

nmdbase
    Free Member

That one!

bruneep

Oh My….. 😯

druidh
    Free Member

Who wants a shot of the sick bucket?

druidh
    Free Member

I might be being a little unfair on Pronghorn here. It’s just that the OP did have a couple of them, so I’m assuming that’s the bike.

Still though….

flyingfox
    Free Member

It IS the bike. You’re right. I have never ridden a bike as fast, and a whole load of folk who have would agree with me. So do NOT judge a bike on looks.

However, the guys who had the company are a joke, they have ripped everyone off who has ever dealt with them and I sincerely hope karma comes for them.

neninja
    Free Member

So much for the Pronghorn 99 year warranty then.

Are the new owners not honouring any warranties then?

highclimber
    Free Member

someone’s put the forks on backwards. the warranty will be voided! 😆

sugdenr
    Free Member

Whot TJ said.

Your contract of sale is with the retailer.

Retailer told you what to do with the frame, so its his problem that its lost. If you have some confirmation it was accepted as duff then good, what would he have done with it anyway! Did you send frame or whole bike back? Just frame = very good.

the carbon thing is commonly known as delamination as is a usual failure mode of carbon.

If you have problems I am available to fight to good fight for you (for a fee payable in bike parts) 😀

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Sorry. Another warranty question.’ is closed to new replies.