Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Sorry – A sorry thread. What 2K bike to replace a Commie super 4?
  • couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I LOVE(d) my super 4. I cant rely on it though.

So – ideally – 2K for a built bike – 120mm f and r – where I can sell some bits and swap over. Preferablly – xc/am or am/xc. All day is the key criteria. 8+ hours – a good few times a year is my usual stretch goal.

Innerleithen Red is as “mad” as I’ll ever go. My bones dont do proper knarly. Too old and all that.

Longish warranty a must. No racey geometry (Anthems are out).

So thinking a Canyon Nerve XC, Trek EX, … what else? Ideally – I’d prefer to try before I buy. And bargains are a must!

I’ve already got a racy fs (and a tum that totally negates it!), and a do it all ht – I just need something a wee bit different that will chunder about all day – any day – with minimal faff and get me back out for more.

FOG

I am in exactly the same situation, although my replacement Super 4 frame is showing no sign of cracking I can’t get it out of my mind. I was thinking of a cheaper option of buying a frame and transfering kit as I have upgraded from the original so I shall watch out for suggestions. Apologies for hi-jack!

sambob
    Free Member

Specialized Camber is nice. Very neutral positioning, very stable but not massive fun. Good for riding when you want to turn your brain off. Good warranty for Specialized too.

neninja
    Free Member

2011 Giant Trance 1 from Pauls Cycles?

Pretty much all XT and a great suspension system.

chakaping
    Free Member

Mondraker Factor may be worth a look, the newer version with the Zero suspension.

chakaping
    Free Member

Probably something 120mm in the cheap Konas on CRC too.

Bregante

Cannondale RZ 120 rides well. Stiff as. cheap too if you look at 2010 and 2011 models. STW reviewed it and loved it.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b65s1p3711&tbv=CANNONDALE_RZ_ONE_TWENTY_1_Mountain_Bikes_Full_Suspension

tomaso
    Free Member

Sub £2K this looks like a good deal – Stumpjumper Elite £1.7K
    bikescene stumpy
    Plenty about at the moment with old stock being cleared out.
    Anthem X1 sub £2K
    ashcycles anthem

monsteryeti
    Free Member

Just picked up a new 2011. Trek EX9 for £1800. Pretty much matches wat you need and rides very light!

druidh
    Free Member

I’d be looking at something like a Cube Stereo Pro. 120mm with the option of ramping it up to 150mm for AM. Getting a test ride would likely be a problem though.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I didn’t realise my Anthem was ‘racey’ to be honest…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Thanks for the ideas guys – sorry for the delay responding – busy day.

I knew there would be some stuff I would never have thought of!

Some 2011 bargains around too! mmm.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Sorry – A sorry thread. What 2K bike to replace a Commie super 4?’ is closed to new replies.