Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Sorry, a slightly niche what tyres Q
  • m1kea
    Free Member

So I have;

Panny Razers on one set of wheels and get on very well with these in the dry.

Bonty Mud X’s on another set so that’s proper mud catered for.

Maxxis Aspens that came with a new bike (and wheels).

Now these are OK for dry stuff but with the 1 – 2″ of top slop we keep getting with this variable hot and dry, then rainy weather, they’re useless in the sloppy bits and washout at the merest suggestion of a bend.

So I’m after something that has more / better grip than the Aspens in the tacky stuff, but not full on mud.

Intended use? XC mincing by a 40 something IT roadie in southern England 😉

shortcut

So you want some ordinary tyrs then? Maxxis Ardent, Crossmark, Ignitor, Panaracer Fire XC, Schwalbe Rocket Ron etc.

m1kea
    Free Member

shortcut – Member

So you want some ordinary tyrs then? Maxxis Ardent, Crossmark, Ignitor, Panaracer Fire XC, Schwalbe Rocket Ron etc.

Am I asking for ordinary tyres? – genuine question

And you’ve reminded me I have some old Panny Fires somewhere but IIRC they weren’t that great.

shortcut

It seems you want a general purpose tyre. So not a semi slick/ low tread stunner tyre and not a mud tyre, so something in the middle that is the majority of tyres out there! Or am
    I missing something?

m1kea
    Free Member

I’m sure a general purpose tyre will solve this. I guess my niche aspect is trying to cater for the occasional sloppy bits you find on top of hard pack at the mo.

I seem to be finding loads of these patches in all the wrong places, corners, the bottom of rooty sections etc and I keep bolxing things up.

Cross marks look interesting 🙂

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I think Maxxis Advantage 2.25* is the answer to your question

*Though I rarely use one but then I don’t live down south anymore

2.25 crossmarks at the back are way better than the 2.1 and very fast (but then you didn’t want summer tyres)

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve been riding the Continental Mountain King 2 in 2.2in, Protection version, this week.

Fast rolling, grippy all the way over when cornering, copes with mud OK and clears quickly.

My new favourite XC all rounder.

m1kea
    Free Member

Chakaping

I stopped using Conti gear a few years ago after blown road sidewalls and utterly, stupidly tight fitting tubulars.

Shame as those Kings look OK

chiefgrooveguru

Mike, I stopped using Contis after too much annoyance with Speed Kings but I’m on Rubber Queen 2.2 front / X-King 2.4 rear now and loving them. As a less gnarr pairing I bet an MKII 2.2 and XK 2.2 (both black chili protection) would be great for everything but deep mud. As I never notice anyone on Crossmarks round here (and looking at the tread pattern) I wouldn’t bet on them clearing mud very well.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Being of 40 ish and an XC trail rider in the south, I agree with your opinion on the panny fires. I have also had similar issues with the Conti’s but find the protection versions are proper sturdy.
    I have ridden Ardents and I am a fan but I have been using High Rollers for years and anything else I have tried lack the bite and confidence in the corners, once you are committed to their lean requisite lean angle, when the ground is south woodland soft.
    I do have an urge to try those new Mountain Kings though. Look like a lighter Rubber Queen.
    Where are you based? I have a pair of part worn High Roller 2.35’s to try that you can have if you can collect?

m1kea
    Free Member

Cheers Alex

3 odd weeks ago when Stanmer was wet wet, I was having all sorts of fun. IIRC community coppicing was one trail in particular.

You’ll probably know what I mean about the little pockets of slippery.

Jef

Cheers for the offer. I’m in Mid Sussex and email in profile.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

2.35 high roller front and 2.1 advantage rear is a great combo actually. I hate high rollers on the back, draggy and don’t climb very well

mboy
    Free Member

Cross marks look interesting

Crossmarks are great on the rear, in dry(ish) conditions. Works ok in slightly softer conditions too as has good side grip (2.25″ version with deeper knobbles), but don’t expect too much traction or braking grip.

Crossmarks are rubbish on the front or in soft conditions though.

2.2″ Rubber Queens are a great all round suggestion, Nobby Nic’s seem popular or perhaps a Nobby Nic front Racing Ralph rear as the Ralphs are actually surprisingly good even in a bit of dirt.

People I know swear by Maxxis Ardents and Advantages for the kind of conditions you describe also, though I’ve no experience personally. Single Ply Minion is also a good front choice.

Sandwich

If it’s mincing then it’s got to be

colournoise

Local trails are similar round here – lots of hardpackish areas with the odd burst of sloppy mud.

I run a Rubber Queen 2.2 front and an X King 2.2 rear – the RQ is great in all but deep mud and clears relatively well. the X King lets go quite quickly in slippy stuff but is predictable when it does so and fairly easy to catch.

slainte 🙂 rob

traildog
    Free Member

I like the wtb Bronsons I’ve been using. They roll quickly but seem to handle the mud quite well.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Sorry, a slightly niche what tyres Q’ is closed to new replies.