Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Sorree but… tell me about cordless drills in the £60-70 range
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve got a 3yr old Bosch 18V one which after very little use has a knackered battery. It only stays charged for about a day.
    It won’t get a lot of hard use but I want something that will work when I go to use it.
    Any suggestions?

stumpyjon

Personally I like the Ryobi one plus stuff from B & Q. They’re my got drills and the batteries can be used in all sorts of stuff. I have a top of the range Hitachi cordless but usually grab the Ryobis first.

mactheknife

B&Q have a DeWalt offer on at the moment. Cordless drill and cordless impact driver for £80.

sweepy
    Free Member

I have a well expensive dewalt, just on the cusp of binning it as the batteries lasted minutes, never mind a day!
    Before I did I had a look for replacement batteries, genuine ones were nearly a hundred quid each, but I got two pattern batteries for forty notes delivered and they have been great so far.
    If you have a quality drill i’d look into it.

CHB

Bite the bullet and get a Makita LXT 18V from FFX or Toolstop. I did and now have several LXT bare tools to go with it. The quality is a big step up from Bosch, and the price not a huge step up!!

revs1972
    Free Member

Find your local independent tool stockist. I use a small company that has branches in south Devon . They often do good deals on batteries and certainly a lot cheaper than the big boys ( for all things DIY) . I think people get put off going in as they wrongly think they are trade only

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

can’t you just replace the battery? genuine or none branded are available for most, depending on budget and how much you trust none branded.

Bite the bullet and get a Makita LXT 18V from FFX or Toolstop

also found powertoolworld to be cheap

bomberpork
    Free Member

b&q dewalt 18v £68, a few weeks ago on special. Great buy

matt_outandabout

Don’t by a Ryobi – utter junk. First charger almost caught fire, I am now two years in and three batteries dead from irregular DIY and one larger project.

tomd
    Free Member

Got the Ryobi one, seems pretty good. I bought it on the basis of it being the least “plasticky” of the drills in that price range with the best torque range.

My take on it was the Ryobi one comes with no case and a small battery for that price, but appears the better drill for it. Some of the others have bigger batteries and nice cases but the drill itself has less oomph and more plastic. Depends on what you want really.

stumpyjon

Well to counter matt, I’ve 3 drills, an impact driver and a grinder along with half a dozen batteries and a couple of chargers all working well, some over 6 years old.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I would also say ryobi are rubbish. We tried a few with the site blokes at work and they only lasted a few weeks. We had a few burn out and a load of batteries fail. They harp on about the 1 battery system but it’s nothing different to what most of the other companies do. We went back to dewalt 18v. I only use dewalt at home now and for heavy diy use it lasts a long long time.

olly2097
    Free Member

For light diy use and 70 quid I’d go get an erbauer from screwfix.

Yes it’s a positec but the quality is good.

Two year warranty. Two li ion batteries.

Erbauer isn’t German it’s screwfix’s own brand. Their top one.

They have energer > Titan > erbauer.

I’ve a erbauer impact driver that’s been abused for two years and it’s never let me down.

Though personally I’d spend £100 and get a nice Bosch blue from screwfix but that might be overkill.

finishthat
    Free Member

The Ryobi 1 battery system is so fantastically different from what the other companies do.
    No company has the same range of tools that use the same battery voltage and
    fitting for so long and keep it supported .
    Ryobi get mixed reviews – there were problems with lithium batteries stopping due to over protective circuitry in the batteries – this is also true of some Makita batteries as well as other manufacturers – the lithium batteries are
    a bit of a pain.
    So actually a nicad battery setup can be more reliable and long lasting
    + cheaper if you can find a good deal on decent quality kit – worth researching the batteries – nicad has some advantages.

curvature
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t have thought any of the drills in the £60-70 bracket are that good if you want to use it more than occasionally.

As for Makita being better that Bosch? If you get the blue (professional) Bosch stuff it is very good and covered by a good warranty. I have two Bosch 10.8v units at home and they are very powerful for the size but even they are more than what you are looking for.

Like most things you get what you pay for. When I was hands on in my company we got rid of all the Makita stuff and bought Festool. Massive difference in price but you can’t compare the two brands.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

if its only for occasional diy use, why bother with cordless? All you’re doing is paying lots of money for a battery that’s going to sit in a toolbox and deteriorate (they all do).

Northwind

Battery life is just an issue, it doesn’t really matter what you get, if you use it rarely and sporadically and you don’t store the battery right then it’ll die… And that’s just the nature of power tools, their batteries have a hard life. Better chargers and batteries will help but none of them are immune. Bosch do seem worse than most mind, on both fronts, I had a stream of charger and battery warranty replacements for my shitey green drill.

My brother uses Ryobi pretty much constantly, he’s killed a few with big drops and other similiar abuse but he’s happy otherwise. I think the one-battery-many-tools thing helps a lot as while the individual tools might not get used for a long time the batteries will.

footflaps

for my shitey green drill.

Buy their pro range (blue) stuff, much better quality. The green stuff is aimed at DIY users i.e. use once and leave in toolbox for 5 years.

Northwind

Aye. Though to be fair, that’s literally what I wanted to do with it and it was useless 😆 Ended up back on my ancient wired hammer drill, and a cheap screwdriver with a battery tender.

captaintomo
    Free Member

Have a look at kielder. New brand Machine mart stock them. Have their drill driver ans impact wrench. Fantastic!!!!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Sorree but… tell me about cordless drills in the £60-70 range’ is closed to new replies.