Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Soooo Butchers are scary
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Well, I’ve spent 20 odd years mtbing – never once had to think of the angle I’m hitting roots at with a decent DHish tyre (outside of not hitting them at a 45 degree angle). I used to be able to just point and shoot and pretend that it was dry.

Will swap to the new Minion 2.5WT’s when I swap the wheels out for something lighter and wider.

For now, I’ll stick my brother on it and see if he comes to the same conclusion about them – and maybe evaluate my riding – check to see if I’m riding too rear heavy. It’s all about psychology though isn’t it, it happens to pro level motorbike racers – they can get it in their heads that a perfectly good tyre lacks feel and they back off and they often can’t shake it until they try something new.

Wierdly, I **** love ardents.

rudedog
    Free Member

Not been impressed with the Butcher control on the front – lost the front end a couple of times on wet rock.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Butcher control on the front, purgatory Grid on the back.

Well happy everywhere on that combo, all conditions. In fact been using that combo for a couple of years.

matt_outandabout

It’s all about compromise imho.

+1
    And all the last modern tyres I have ridden are ‘ok’ in this respect. I fit a set, learn their (minor) foibles, and ride until worn out.

If you want to know how far modern tyres have come along, go and take a FireXC, Velociraptor or TiogaDH for a ride…

benp1

I have a purgatory on front. Was going to get a butcher for the rear

Is that against the general practice on here?

core

I run a butcher grid up front all year round, haven’t found it really lacking anywhere, sure it’s a slight compromise a lot of the time, but butcher/purg does me well.

As another front option – WTB Vigilante?

legend
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Member

Well, I’ve spent 20 odd years mtbing

*wonders about Tom’s user name referring to his DOB?*

My 2p, been running a Butcher Control on the front for over a year. Never experienced any extra issues that I wouldn’t have seen with the likes of a Minion anyway.

benp1 – Member

I have a purgatory on front. Was going to get a butcher for the rear

You’ll have a grippier back tyre, but whatever works for you

mikewsmith
    Free Member

15 years and the minion is still king

chakaping
    Free Member

No, the hr2 is better.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

*wonders about Tom’s user name referring to his DOB?*

I’ve been proper mtbing since I was about 3.5 foot tall 😛 but no, that isn’t my actual birthdate.

smatkins1
    Free Member

2.3 Butcher’s haven’t quite got the volume of other ‘similar sized’ tyres which isn’t going to help trying to find some grip when rolling over wet roots. Mine look quite narrow and low profile when parked along side everyone else’s Schwalbe tyres.

I also find once the softer outer compound wears away the harder bit of the knobbles which are left are noticeably less grippy (as you’d expect). I still happily run them as a dependable all round tyre.

There you go OP, some reasons which don’t blame your riding abilities.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Soooo Butchers are scary’ is closed to new replies.