Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 163 total)
  • Soo.. who else is switching from 2×10 back to 3×9 / 3×10??
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

I don’t really like the gear ratios of 2×10 at all. I feel the lowest gear isn’t low enough, and I find myself spinning out the highest gear at times. Also the rear mech seems to have worn out a lot quicker than usual.
    Anyone else tried it and not like it?

jam-bo

Nope. 1×10 on everything MTB.

weeksy

same as Jam Bo. Can’t imagine why you’d need more than 1×10.

djflexure

Same here – 1×10 on both bikes and it feels spot on for the riding I do. Occasionally change the cassette if I’m heading to the hills.

Janesy
    Free Member

why do you need more than 1×10. 34t front and a 34/11 back.

Just get stronger.

br
    Free Member

Can’t imagine why you’d need more than 1×10.

So you don’t have to push?

michaelmcc
    Free Member

why do you need more than 1×10. 34t front and a 34/11 back.

Just get stronger.

Have you ever done a 24 hour solo or a 7 day mountain bike stage race? Come back to me with a different answer if you haven’t. The last thing I want to be doing in an endurance event is haven’t to grind up a steep single-track switchback climb with low cadence in my lowest gear with 2×10, thinking about how much I want my granny gear back!

I can see how 2×10 / 1×10 might have some advantages, but not for my type of racing.

Northwind

I feel like the 2×10 on my Camber isn’t progress over my normal 2×9… It’s got some higher gears that I don’t have much use for, and less low gears. But 1×10 with an 11-36 block is definately progress.

jam-bo

Have you ever done a 24 hour solo or a 7 day mountain bike stage race? Come back to me with a different answer if you haven’t. The last thing I want to be doing in an endurance event is haven’t to grind up a steep single-track switchback climb with low cadence in my lowest gear with 2×10, thinking about how much I want my granny gear back!
    I can see how 2×10 / 1×10 might have some advantages, but not for my type of racing.

What are the winners running? I’d say just get stronger still applies…

druidh
    Free Member

Can’t wait until the Olympic XC event to see what the top riders are using.

djflexure

If a triple suits your style and you enjoy it more then that’s the answer.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Nope, 2×9 is plenty.

jam-bo

Can’t wait until the Olympic XC event to see what the top riders are using.

Cyclocross bikes from the look of the course…

michaelmcc
    Free Member

What are the winners running? I’d say just get stronger still applies…

Easy to say, not so easy to apply at 8am the next day.

continuity
    Free Member

I haven’t encountered anything I can’t keep a 60rpm cadence going for in 34t 11-36t yet, and that includes the alps.

Pooley
    Free Member

Never gonna happen! 2×10 for a couple of years now, love it.
    Male Olympians at Hadleigh will be running new SRAM 1×11, Shimano riders 1×10. I can see myself going that way sometime soon.

dreednya

2×10 on my Mojo for enduros such as Dyfi, CRC, Brecon Beast and Afan Monster. That is a 42:28 with a 11:36 and still find I’m in the 42 most of the time

druidh
    Free Member

* swoons at the STW strongmen *

michaelmcc
    Free Member

What kind of terrain are you happy 2×10 users riding? The South Downs or something similar to that? 😕

d45yth
    Free Member

continuity – Member
    I haven’t encountered anything I can’t keep a 60rpm cadence going for in 34t 11-36t yet, and that includes the alps.

Yet you would be quicker and more efficient with a higher cadence.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

1×10 (32 and 11/36). No issues and rode up everything in the Alps recently.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

1×10 (32 and 11/36). No issues and rode up everything in the Alps recently.

Just because you can ride up it, doesn’t mean you wouldn’t be more efficient with a better gear ratio and higher cadence.

I can “ride up” most things with my 2×10, I’m often in a lower cadence than I feel comfortable in though.

mrmo
    Free Member

Yet you would be quicker and more efficient with a higher cadence.

No you wouldn’t, it depends on the rider. higher cadence is more efficient but bigger gear out of the saddle is faster as you can generate more power. Just not as efficient.

I can “ride up” most things with my 2×10, I’m often in a lower cadence than I feel comfortable in though.

So you need to get stronger then.

Don’t look for excuses as to why you can’t do things, look at how you can. If lower gears works for you fine, if a triple makes sense fine, use it.

But the important thing, just because you have a gear doesn’t mean you should use it. The only way to get better is to push harder.

Frankers
    Free Member

I’ve just built up my new bike with 3×10 as didn’t really see the point in 2×10.

1×10 and losing the front shifter makes sense but I like having the variety of big and little gears

Though 1×10 does seem a bit of a current “fashion statement” that has taken over from single speeding.

tomhoward

Went from 1×9 to 3×9. Cos I’m a pathetic weakling.

GW
    Free Member

WTF OP? (and you ^^)

20 gears is more than enough to ride anything, You’ve simply chosen inappropriate chainring sizes for you and your riding.

I’ve been happily running 2×8 for over 15years with no issues,

wiredgeneration
    Free Member

Im not the fittest bloke on the planet, but I recently changed to 2×10 and ill never go back to 3×10, a 2×10 always seems to be the ‘right’ gear when riding…true I miss the granny ring when im knackered but the harder the 2×10 setup sometimes is, just means youll get stronger and fitter 🙂

GW
    Free Member

Why are you removing your granny ring to go to two rings instead of removing the middle and big ring and replacing the middle with something sized somewhere between the two? 😕

jordie
    Free Member

32:16 is plenty 😉

transapp
    Free Member

GW I’d love to go on a ride with you. In between never sitting down and your 2×8, you’ve got to be the fittest person around with sprinter esq legs if steel

michaelmcc
    Free Member

So you need to get stronger then.

No, I need to go back to 3 rings on the front. 🙄

michaelmcc
    Free Member

It does seem like its a bit of a macho man statement people are trying to make here, as if you need to show off your hardness and push through with the 2 / 1×10, in sort of a “GGRRRRR look at me” type way. Slightly pathetic really.
    I don’t see the point in going 1 or 2 by ten unless

A) You ride mostly in the South Downs.
    B) You’re an XC racer and rarely out of the big ring.
    C) You are a total weight weenie and want to save the 10 gram’s, or whatever it is.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

20 gears is more than enough to ride anything.

Vaguest statement of the year award goes to you, well done 😉 .

br
    Free Member

I looked at 2×10, glad I didn’t spend the money.

I’m reasonably fit and able (my Strava times show that), but every-so-often you need a granny (and 34 rear) otherwise you’ll be pushing.

But at the time I looked the reason I didn’t buy was the simple reason that an XTR 2×10 was heavier than my current XTR 3×9.

I now live in the Scottish Borders, and while 2×10 would be fine for GT/Inners etc it would mean a lot of pushing on the natural stuff.

mrmo
    Free Member

No, I need to go back to 3 rings on the front.

Have a look at a gear chart and you will see that most gears are duplicated if not triplicated, which is one of the points behind 2x*

Have you ever done a 24 hour solo or a 7 day mountain bike stage race?

If your racing you need to get stronger. There are reasons why 2x* makes sense.

If you want to go back to 3x* do so, but be aware that if you pick the right chainrings and cassette there is very little benefit to be gained. and you do gain a few problems.

As for climb size, Le Chable to Col de Gentiannes in the Val de Bagnes on a 2×9, in prep for the Grand Raid Cristalp. Is that a big enough climb?

Climb hardness has nothing to do with size, the south downs vs the Cairngorms, they are different nothing more.

ahwiles
    Free Member

michaelmcc – Member

It does seem like its a bit of a macho man statement people are trying to make here, as if you need to show off your hardness and push through with the 2/1 x10, in sort of a “GGRRRRR look at me” type way. Slightly pathetic really…

don’t most people ‘go’ 2up at the front by removing the big ring?

GGRRRRR look at me, i’m also a pathetic weakling, i never use the 40tooth ring so i took it off.

Northwind

If memory serves, going from a 22-32-44 to a 22-36 cost me only the 2 highest ratios- so not a case of never using the big ring, you need to be using everything on the big ring to make it worth keeping.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

I have 3 singlespeeds. Form an ordely queue to come and touch me.

GW
    Free Member

Vaguest statement of the year award goes to you, well done

No. Well done you!!
    from your partial quote I’ll assume you had trouble understanding how my next sentence made perect sense of that statement. 🙄

Read what Northwind wrote above ^^

Transapp – I didn’t sit down or change gear all afternoon today, but no, I’m hellishly unfit just now. 🙁

billyboy
    Free Member

For real time XC riding in the longterm I can’t imagine why anyone would go 2x or 1x or singlespeed and balls to a 3x with 24 and 42, I want 22 and 44….as much range as you can get.

Emperor’s New clothes!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 163 total)

The topic ‘Soo.. who else is switching from 2×10 back to 3×9 / 3×10??’ is closed to new replies.