Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • sonos? whats the cheapest and easiest way for two rooms
  • georgecats_0
    Free Member

Ideally want to use an ipod as source and iphone to control it,any exper4ences

mossimus
    Free Member

To use ipod as a source you will need the Ipod dock, and to have music in two rooms 2 * Play 3. If none of these 3 devices are going to be wired into your network you will also need a bridge.

Any particualr reason you want to use the ipod as a source, do you have your itunes library on a PC? if so you can use this as the source and save £100 by not needing ipod dock.

Alternatively could you not get a NAS drive for same price as a Ipod dock?

alfabus
    Free Member

cheapest and easiest way

NAS box as source and 2 x Squeezebox radio. Controlled using iPeng (or the free squeezebox app, but iPeng is better).

Squeezebox is cheaper than sonos, and now they have sorted multiroom stuff, there is no advantage to sonos other than if you prefer the looks.

Dave

georgecats_0
    Free Member

How do the squeezebox radios sound compared to sonos?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

NAS or always on PC and 2x the basic Sonos 3’s and the bridge

Conrol from ipod touch possible

alfabus
    Free Member

How do the squeezebox radios sound compared to sonos?

IMO they sound bloody good – they are only a mono speaker, but the sound is very room filling; I have one in my kitchen and one in the dining room next door.

I also have a squeezebox touch which is plugged into amp and speakers (inc sub) in the living room. Obviously, this sounds better!

Dave

georgecats_0
    Free Member

right,been doing some research now,anyone use a squeezebox duet-i think i could buy 2 of those and plug into my home cinema,but iv only got a digital optical in availlable-anyone know if the duet has a digi out?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Airport express? I just bought a couple off a guy at work, I-device controllable, optical and analog out. It’s a mystery why he upgraded to Sonos

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was looking round and to do the Optical route to the 5.1 I was going to go with the Sonos and a 3 or 5 in the other room, adding to it over the years type idea.

The pass through box on the Soonos looked like the best idea for me for sitting behind the TV/PC/Surround sound setup.

Also like the different music for each speaker idea

Price seems reasonable especially as it’s now android compatible

SBrock
    Free Member

Airport express? I just bought a couple off a guy at work, I-device controllable, optical and analog out. It’s a mystery why he upgraded to Sonos

Probably because the DAC in airport express is utter shite

alfabus
    Free Member

anyone know if the duet has a digi out?

Yes, pretty sure it does.

oliverd1981 – Member

Probably because you can’t run airport express from a NAS box without a separate computer turned on and running iTunes – for me that killed the whole point of the NAS. I didn’t want my computer on.

hunta

+1 for Squeezebox. Have had them for years. As may also already have been mentioned, there are now apps on iPhone and Android which allow you to use your device over wifi as an output, so no need even for the hardware – just stream direct from your PC.

Marvellous bit of kit.

bazzer
    Free Member

I have a squeezebox touch downstairs and a Duet upstairs.

I can control them from a PC, phone or the dedicated controller.

I can play Spotify, Iplayer and my music collection on the NAS and it sounds pretty good to me 🙂

Bazzer

Edited to add I can control it all from the touch too 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘sonos? whats the cheapest and easiest way for two rooms’ is closed to new replies.