Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Sonos app and Spotify – good now?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Before I trundle off and buy myself a xmas present (2 x Sonos Play1) I’ve been doing a little reading about the app – what’s the integration with Spotify like now because 99% of our music is from there now.

Seems bizarre that they don’t simply allow you to play to the Sonos speaker directly from the Spotify app and back in June the app reviews were not looking too clever.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I use Sonos with Deezer, using the Sonos App, I think it all works perfectly well, no reason why Spotify would be different

Tinners

Better than it was but not as good as using it through the Spotify app (if such a thing were possible). I don’t think that the Spotify stuff shows as well via the Sonos app as if does when using the Spotify app, but unfortunately it seems you have to go “via the Sonos app” if you see what I mean. Mine used to constantly lose the music feed with a “searching for Sonos” type message on my phone. However, since the most recent iOS and Sonos update it hardly ever does that now. Not sure if that was an Apple, Spotify or router prob but seems to have sorted itself. Hopefully one day we’ll have some sort of “stream to Sonos” option in Spotify. That would be best. It wouldn’t stop be buying one though and I’m sure that plenty of people wouldn’t be bothered about it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

opefully one day we’ll have some sort of “stream to Sonos” option in Spotify.

You would hope they’d one day make it AirPlay compatible, but then the Sonos would just become a dumb speaker and I can see why they might not want to do this. Bit of a pain though for those who would like to use it as one occasionally. You can of course just get an AirPlay device thing and plug it into the aux port on the Sonos.

Oh and in reply to the OP, works well enough, quite nicely integrated into the Sonos app. Less feature rich than the full blown Spotify app and I don’t think it’ll do your Spotify playlists or Spotify radio channels.

mactheknife

Spotify works pretty well with Sonos, i am using it right now.

It does play the playlists that you have saved in Spotify. Under your music.

Not as feature rich but pretty decent nonetheless.

brooess
    Free Member

Google Chromecast Audio

depending on your setup this may save you spending a load of cash

iainc

^^^ +1. Got one recently, the DAB mini HiFi has been updated for not a lot of money 🙂

footflaps

You would hope they’d one day make it AirPlay compatible

There is an app you can buy which lets you Airplay any audio source

https://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

sharkbait
    Free Member

Well I went and got my Xmas pressie 🙂

At first I was a little underwhelmed with the Play:1 compared to my Harmon Kardon Soundsticks but they’ve grown on me quickly and I’m now well impressed.
    I really like the alarm feature and have just started a free 3 month google play music sub to go alongside spotify as although we have two spotify accounts they’re shared between me and 3 girls so there can be clashes! Also means I can cast straight from the android play music app to the speakers by-passing the sonos app – there’s even a chromebook app which works very well from what I’ve seen so far.

I can see this being an expensive purchase as I’m already thinking about more speakers 🙁

brassneck

Bit of a pain though for those who would like to use it as one occasionally

You can play content from your phone/tablet direct in the Sonos app.

I’d rather have Bluetooth or Airplay support though. I will almost certainly buy another Play1 for the bedroom, and possibly a Play3 for upstairs as I do like it overall despite that.

Also means I can cast straight from the android play music app to the speakers by-passing the sonos app – there’s even a chromebook app which works very well from what I’ve seen so far.

Interesting. Wonder if it does the same on the iOS app…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sonos app and Spotify – good now?’ is closed to new replies.