Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sonder Transmitter
  • coconut
    Free Member

Still eyeing up a Sonder Transmitter… few more questions please..

– Have others swapped down to narrower tires for long mixed road bike rides. The bike comes with 3.0m front and 2.8inch rear, looks like it would take a 2.4 may be ? I sometimes do 100+ miles

– Rough guess on weight of the large.. 12kg.. sound about there ?

– Is the SRAM rear mech a clutch mech ?

thanks

twicewithchips
    Free Member

No, I find they roll pretty well as is. I don’t do that sort of mileage on it though.
    Dunno, sorry
    Yes

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve run a 2.4″ Ardent on the back of mine, but b+ tyres seem to roll pretty quick. I don’t think it’s an issue. I’ve ridden the carbon as well and if you can stretch to it, it’s appreciably lighter which makes the whole bike feel snappier. No idea on the build spec questions, but the Alpkit/Sonder guys are super helpful.

Garry_Lager

I think you need to ride one before buying if you’ve got serious mileage in mind. If you were just looking for something fun to throw around the trails then I’d buy it sight unseen no bother (I did) – for proper mile-munching it needs a bit more of a considered approach IMHO.

I know alpkit will send you one to demo for a day or two for a small charge – perhaps they reimburse this if you buy it?

Mine has an sram NX mech that I don’t think has a clutch – it’s very easy to move the cage forward. Think I got the base build though.

sxneil
    Free Member

I’ve done a 92 mile single day ride on mine and also ridden it coast to coast off road in 4 days. I did that with 2 mates, one on a Nukeproof Mega and one on a Canyon Spectral, i definitely had the best bike for the job!

Got mine running 2.8 rangers at both ends, don’t think you’ll feel the need to go smaller as they roll super quick!

TheGhost
    Free Member

I’m running 2.4 HR2s on mine and it is both nimble and fast. 2.8s only just fit in the back of a Transmitter,they only has 78mm clearance. I think the Transmiter is better suited to 2.4-2.6 tyres rather than 2.8s. I tried 2.8 NNs (72mm wide on love mud wheels) but they where very draggy so I went smaller, 2.6 tires weren’t available at the time so I went 2.4.

For reference I’m running a 2.8 HR2 on the back of my Solaris Max and it is brilliant.

Garry_Lager

Was that 2.4s on a reg rim TheGhost?, or did were you using the B+ alpkit ones? Fancy giving a smaller tyre a go and seeing how it handles, although I don’t actually own another 27.5 wheelset.

The clearance at the back surprised me – I wonder what design constraint makes it so tight? The love mud branding seems a bit fatuous when my cyclocross bike has better mud clearance than my B+ transmitter.

TheGhost
    Free Member

@Garry_Lager – The 2.4 HR2s are on WTB asym i35mm rims.

These:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ridewill-27-5-Wheels-I35-Boost-Shimano-Wheelset/dp/B01FKLVYSU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1510923286&sr=8-2&keywords=ridewill+27.5%2B+wheels

I sold the love mud wheels because they were too heavy. Shame because the hubs seemed nice.

essexbiker
    Free Member

I recently did the London to Brighton offroad and an additional 25 miles before the start (so 100 miles in total) with the 2.8 Rangers front and rear and it was ace. With those types of distance I think the saddle and chamois pad choice is more important than tyre width!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sonder Transmitter’ is closed to new replies.