Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Somewhere to go for weekend from London without a car?
  • IainAhh
    Free Member

Looking for some ideas on where to go for weekend from London.
    I usually go back north of the boarder at the weekends, but I’ve got a free weekend coming up due to cancelled plans.

Sat over night stay would be good.
    Not too expensive.
    Travel by public transport or a flight.
    Bike hire? Or other sports. City break?
    I could bring a bike down but don’t really have anywhere to leave it.
    Trail center with bike hire in the south?

atlaz
    Free Member

Well if flights are on the cards, you can go basically anywhere. As I live there, I’ll pimp Luxembourg; quite easy to get around (small city lots of culture, bars, restaurants etc) and return fares can be had for under 80 quid at times. There’s cheap hotels and a good youth hostel depending on budget. All the usual places for city breaks apply, Brussels and Bruges are quite good too.

TPTcruiser

UK: Isle of Wight? Train and ferry. Probably about the same £ as a flight to Luxembourg but without the exchange rate. Not pimping the place myself but it must be a good contrast from day-to-day and weekend.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Amsterdam – Lovely city at this time of year. Hire a a bike and meander around the canals, museums, galleries and some ace pubs!( I have a few restaurant recommendations if you do go there)

However, as you say “not too expensive”, would it not be better to avoid the flights and look in the UK?

I might have suggested Dorset and a play at UK Bike Park, but the uplift’s been canned. Besides, it’s wetter than an otter’s pocket in the west country right now!

Hmm. Where else….
    Ride to Thorpe Park and learn to wakeboard? 😉

What’s your budget, I suppose is the key question.

theteaboy
    Free Member

Cambridge is ace and is only an hour on the train from KX. Get a punt and a picnic.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Barcelona, Amsterdam or Paris.

flowerpower
    Free Member

On the City break idea – York? Lovely City, plenty of opportunity to hire a bike for some cycle path pootles… not exactly hard core but a pleasant weekend? York Cycle info

TiRed

City break? Bath.
    Trail centre with bike hire? Swinley Forest (Bracknell).

binners

donsimon
    Free Member

Madrid.

molgrips
    Free Member

West Wales. Take bike on train, ride, camp, walk on beaches.

binners

toby1

the teaboy – Member

Cambridge is ace and is only an hour on the train from KX. Get a punt and a picnic.

Nope, we have plenty of visitors already thanks!

Seriously though, crap for extreme cycling lovely for wandering/pedalling around for the weekend and sipping a couple of ale’s. Bike hire from the station, but you can travel the city on foot if you want to.

Secure bike parks at the Grand arcade shopping centre or Park street car park if you do happen to bring a bike.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Swindon?

You’ve got the railway museum, the designer outlet village, and a trail centre.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Bruges beautiful city and wouldnt’ take long from London.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Somewhere to go for weekend from London without a car?’ is closed to new replies.