Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Sometimes it's the little things…
  • Gunz
    Free Member

I broke one of my tools whilst vigorously gardening last week. Upon popping into the local hardware store (all small draws and random stock) I turned to the counter and asked (completely without artifice) if he stocked fork handles. Whilst he didn’t present me with any wax products, we did both pause and then giggle. It left me with a satisfied smile on my face all day.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Sometimes it’s the little things…

You’re so right……….DRAWERS!

Gunz
    Free Member

Sometimes it’s the little things…
    You’re so right……….DRAWERS!

An ellipsis is a set of three periods ( . . . ) indicating an omission. Each period should have a single space on either side, except when adjacent to a quotation mark, in which case there should be no space.

The Punctuation Guide

I’m glad you agree.

Cougar

You’re supposed to have spaces inside an ellipsis? Every day’s a school day.

EDIT: Wait, “period”? That’s an American style guide.

Cougar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis#In_British_English

The Oxford Style Guide recommends setting the ellipsis as a single character (…) or as a series of three (narrow) spaced dots (. . .), and surrounding it by spaces.

Contrary to The Oxford Style Guide, the University of Oxford Style Guide demands an ellipsis not to be surrounded by spaces, except when it stands for a pause; then, a space has to be set after the ellipsis (but not before).

Oxford can’t even agree with itself. (-:

kayak23

Whilst he didn’t present me with any wax products, we did both pause and then giggle.

As he probably does with countless customers who’ve asked him that every week since the eighties.
    😉

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Fletcher’s hardware near me have a box of ” screws about this big “behind the counter .When I was in there with a mate and made reference to the four candles sketch the guy behind pulled out a piece of cardboard upon which was pre-written the phrase ” not funny after the 100th time ” ,smirked and put it away .

rossburton
    Free Member

Oxford can’t even agree with itself. (-:

Whilst with the font I’m using now, the ellipsis glyph (…) looks almost identical to three dots (…), some fonts do the right thing and they’re slightly more spaced out than three dots would be.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Sometimes it's the little things…’ is closed to new replies.