Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Sometimes i feel sad i'm not much of a jumper, then again….
  • maxtorque

i watch things like this an suddenly i don’t feel so bad 😆

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqNVkfilluU[/video]

ouch!

weeksy

Eek. Its a young mans game!

belugabob
    Free Member

1:07 in – oucherooney!!

scaredypants

1.07 indeed !

… and the guy on the flat woodwork 😀

it’s no wonder I cry whenever I see doubles or woodwork

bedmaker

1.28 nearly a ful frontflip 😆

A lot of sailors died in the making of that vid..

belugabob
    Free Member

I take that back – 2:30 in lumberjacktastic!

tomd
    Free Member

The two on the woodwork around 1min in are brutal, winced at those.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Thanks for that , brilliant !

Everyone seemed ok though… Keep jumping !

Edit: 23 episodes of Mtb fails on this YouTube channel

Aristotle
    Free Member

A few years ago dirt jumping was really popular with teenagers. I don’t see it much these days

mikey74
    Free Member

Everyone seemed ok though… Keep jumping !

Really? some of them weren’t moving afterwards. OK, the camera didn’t linger on them for too long, but I’ll be surprised if there weren’t broken bones amongst that lot.

The one where the guy got scythed in half by the edge of the wooden landing ramp really made me wince.

brocks
    Free Member

At the other end of the spectrum, mate was bunny hopping (trying) the little brook that runs through the car Clark at Whinlatter! Somehow face planted onto grass! Laugh! couldn’t stop. He even had grass and mud in his teeth, hilarious. As for jumping its for the kids. 😯

soundninjauk

Watching that just makes me even more sure that the new downhill/jump section at Swinley would be the death of me if I ever tried it.

milky1980
    Free Member

I hate watching crashes, especially my own but still clicked play :mrgreen:

The one at 1.07 was on PinkBike, tore a hole in his leg and badly bruised IIRC. Might have won the EVOC fail thing?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yep, I’ll be 40 next birthday – I’ve never ever tried a proper big jump, and I’m quite happy to think that, that shit is behind me.

Northwind

Bonus points to that feller. Which feller? The tree feller!

I just maintain jumps aren’t proper mountain biking. I like riding over stuff so why would I waste good stuff by jumping over it?

colp

I’m 47 and still trying bigger stuff all of the time. It’s addictive.

jamj1974

^^ fair play!

isitafox
    Free Member

A lesson I’ve learned is not to have a helmet cam attached to a Troy Lee helmet, magnet for disaster.

wordnumb
    Free Member

I’m 47 and still trying bigger stuff all of the time.

Nice try but I can clearly see the cables holding you up.

epicyclo

Future Paralympians training hard…

WillH

I’m less of a jumper and more of a big girl’s blouse… That video in the OP is exactly why my wheels never leave the ground!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Worst bit was over half the crashes you could see it coming a mile off, lots of air time to let it sink in. There are always the ones where on take off you know it’s all gone wrong

taxi25
    Free Member

18″ rule for me 🙁

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Worst bit was over half the crashes you could see it coming a mile off, lots of air time to let it sink in. There are always the ones where on take off you know it’s all gone wrong

Some terrifying examples of people trying stuff well beyond their skill level.

Hopefully no-one was too badly hurt – the guy who nearly chopped himself in half @ 1.07, brutal.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Well if you get the takeoff wrong the “landing” is going to be an issue 😐

@colp Chapeau with obvious statemet that one big crash and you realise 47 year old bones are much more brittle than 27 year old ones. I started jumping in my late 40’s (nothing like that I hasten to add) but a face plant off a 6ft drop saw my retirement from anything over about a foot or two.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The one where the guy got scythed in half by the edge of the wooden landing ramp really made me wince.

yes he had to be injured

Some just seemed to wash out and some were just going at the wrong speed

Stevet1
    Free Member

Chapeau with obvious statemet that one big crash and you realise 47 year old bones are much more brittle than 27 year old ones. I started jumping in my late 40’s (nothing like that I hasten to add) but a face plant off a 6ft drop saw my retirement from anything over about a foot or two

What a ridiculously defeatist statement.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Nah I agree with that

the reality is we will all crash at some point MYB all you can do is control the severity by riding accordingly to how big you are prepared to crash

I avoid drops above a certain size that I can do because eventually I will crash on them and be potentially injured for months as a result

colp

Nice try but I can clearly see the cables holding you up.

It takes bloody ages unwrapping gondola cable from your rear brake.

Digby

you realise 47 year old bones are much more brittle than 27 year old ones

Not so much the bones, but the tendons and ligaments tend to take a lot more time and effort to heal …

I’m 48 now and use the following rule of thumb for both the bike and the snowboard:

I’ll only hit a jump or drop etc if there is roughly an 80% or more chance of me landing it/riding it out … and if I don’t land it then there is an 80% or more chance of me being able to ‘walk away’ from it.

stewartc
    Free Member

Would love to have the cojones to do half those jumps but I’m a risk averse 44 year old, so I jump what I deem to give me a good mix of thrill but is within my ability.
    Fair play to those who hit the big jumps though, but we don’t all get our kicks that way.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Edit – forget it, each to their own.
    Colp – keep on keeping on, and if you’re ever in Preston drop me an email and I’ll show you a nice spot to ride.

hainman
    Free Member

Being 43 and having osteoporosis I’m probably in the wrong sport but I know my limits and realise i break easier than my riding buddies but I do still like to push myself a lil bit.I do get the heebies when hitting square edged jumps

Northwind

It’s more about skillsets than size of jump/hazard- yes my age and osteoperosis makes me more fragile but confidence and skill makes you safer. If I rode around worrying constantly about consequences I’d crash more. As it is, I approach stuff positively and I’m constantly learning and getting better and that keeps me safer than if I set a limit on my riding.

colp

I really stepped up my riding when I bought a DH bike 3 years ago. This, combined with lots of Alps riding sessioning the same tracks let me try bigger stuff. I still think twice about big doubles but I’m happy hitting most drops and big tables. I had my first trip to Whistler this year with my lad and we did everything without problems except for the 4th Crabapple hit, it was just a bit too windy to go for it every time we were there.
    Here’s me making sure I clear the 3rd by pulling up “slightly”

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I don’t ramp
    Rude boy don’t ramp
    My squad don’t ramp.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXxLbLvCRrk[/video]

batman11
    Free Member

Yeah I’d like to jump but then I see this and think yep this would be me.
    https://metavideos.com/video/1496494/ozzy-man-reviews-a-gopro-hero

maxtorque

colp
    I really stepped up my riding when I bought a DH bike 3 years ago. This, combined with lots of Alps riding sessioning the same tracks let me try bigger stuff. I still think twice about big doubles but I’m happy hitting most drops and big tables. I had my first trip to Whistler this year with my lad and we did everything without problems except for the 4th Crabapple hit, it was just a bit too windy to go for it every time we were there.
    Here’s me making sure I clear the 3rd by pulling up “slightly”

Props to your dude! ^^^ that’s a PROPER sized jump!!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Sometimes i feel sad i'm not much of a jumper, then again….’ is closed to new replies.