Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Something like the DMR Bolt…
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

I can’t justify spending 900 plus quid on a new frame plus the subsequent kit to complete the build but I absolutely love the DMR Bolt (long version) after spending a day riding my mates last week. I’d love to get one but I can find any 2nd hand ones anywhere and no way I can buy new but what’s similar out there?

I love the burly, do everything feel of it. I could almost be tempted to sell my DH bike to get one but thought I’d see if there was an alternative first. Commencal absolut SX maybe (probably too small for me though)?

ndthornton
    Free Member

I had this problem a couple of weeks ago. Trying to decide between the bolt and the Absolut. Got an Absolut second hand for £450 – haven’t finished building it yet so cant comment (its going to be Alfine’d!). But I didnt have any problem finding second hand bolts….have you searched Pinkbike??

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Pretty sure Banshee or Transition do something similar.

Also, Konda used to do the Bass/Cowan which I think was along the same lines.

Specialized Supercross?

I havent looked at MTB frames for sometime though, so these may be well out.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Transition double, Dartmoor shine or wish, ns soda

banks
    Free Member

Transition covert, got a medium frame going, mail in profile, cheers.

_tom_
    Free Member

Scott Voltage? I love mine, the seat tube may be a bit short for taller riders if you want to pedal it but with my short legs it’s fine. It’s not made for that sort of thing anyway. I have mine set up 150mm rear/160mm forks and it feels awesome. Mine’s built pretty heavy but I’ve done a few 20ish mile fairly flat and pedally rides on it and they weren’t too bad. It flies downhill and over jumps. Can be built like this, a bit lighter, or all out dh bike with triple crowns and the longer travel shocks/mounts.

I do still kinda want a Bolt though, I’ve always liked DMR Bikes.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

banks – Member

Transition covert

Yeh, I’ve got a 1999 Specialized Rock Hopper doing nowt aswell. Email in profile. Cheers

banks
    Free Member

DMR have got it spot on with the bolt, just a bit of a dog pedalling uphill.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Transition double could be worth a look but again, might be a bit on the small side. When I was riding the bolt I was struggling to think of things I couldn’t very comfortably do on it from DH, bit of dirt jumping and gravity enduros and trails. It is absolutely bang on the money, maybe I will just have to sell my nukeproof scalp frame, I doubt I’d use it much if I had a bolt anyway.

chakaping
    Free Member

Saracen Ariel is a brilliant fun play bike, and rides how I imagine the Bolt would (not having tried the DMR).

Check out Pinkbike, there’s always bargains to be had.

handyandy
    Free Member

Commencal meta 4x?

VanHalen

alot of the recommendation are tiny DJ frames.

you a all do realise the long bolt is different beast to teh short version.

i`d love a long bolt but only if they made one about 2 lbs lighter!

I`ve an old meta 4 which is great fun and light and longer than a slopestyle/DJ specific frame.

i recon a blackmarket roam with the shorter shock option in a large would do me nicely. so if any one wants to send me one i wont get upset. i cant afford to pay for it though…

cookeaa

You’ll have more luck finding a used Bass or old Cowan DS on Pinkbike IMO…

The Konas have been about longer and I think a fair few people have been through the short travel hard riding bike “phase” with them.

I did start thinking this weekend that something like a SS or 1xN Bass or Bolt with a longer fork might make more sense as a fun in the woods and uplift day bike than a lugging a full on DH bike…

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I did start thinking this weekend that something like a SS or 1xN Bass or Bolt with a longer fork might make more sense as a fun in the woods and uplift day bike than a lugging a full on DH bike…

Exactly the thoughts that crossed my mind last week. I race a lot of downhill and do a fair few uplifts but they are all in England and some in Wales. I can’t think of any race I have entered this past two years that I wouldn’t be able to very happily do on the bolt. Plus I get the added bonus of being able to do my local trails, drops, gaps, dirt jumps and throw in the odd gravity enduro as well.

I think I’ve pretty much sold it to myself.

peachos
    Free Member

i just saw this for sale on pinkbike after reading this thread earlier…

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1433992/

kudos100
    Free Member

Gt distortion, if you can find a frame 2nd hand.

ndthornton
    Free Member

alot of the recommendation are tiny DJ frames

With my Absolut build I’m hoping to mitigate this by getting a 425mm/150mm dropper post and a “long” frame.

Its only got to get to the top of the hill at its own pace

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Something like the DMR Bolt…’ is closed to new replies.