Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Something blocking the bridleway today!
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

& I couldn’t/wouldn’t do anything about it.

On a local ish loop that I’d never done before but it looked ok on the map, slogged across a very tussocky, energy sapping field & down a nice steepish descent to a lake with a causeway across, only to find, slap bang in the middle of the trail… a swan sitting on a nest as wide as the trail, with Daddy To Be swan stood by her side flexing his wings at me. Well I didn’t fancy a broken arm today, so I trudged back up the steep climb a over the tussocky, energy sapping field back to the road.
    40 minutes I won’t get back. 😐

devash
    Free Member

I’ve had a few run-ins with angry and / or horny grouse recently but a swan! I think you did the right thing.

scotroutes

I had a very persistent pheasant trying to peck my legs today. They can run surprisingly fast!!!!

mildbore

Out on a flower sniffing fart’s pootle with my wife along the local canal yesterday we came across a small herd of gypsy horses. They were spooked by our arrival , couldn’t go away from us cos of one of those anti – motorbike barriers so galloped straight towards us. Luckily there was room for us to step aside without going for a swim and they just ran past us. Phew!

kevj
    Free Member

We were chased a three geese on the moors above Hamsterley a few years back. Honking and flapping and flapping and honking.

Klunk
    Free Member

isn’t the arm breaking thing a myth ? they hiss a lot for sure and look aggressive but it’s all show. The local farmer startled me today out on a road ride by firing what looked like roman candles at flock of swans in his field from a moving rangerover!

Northwind

Geese aren’t dangerous. Except for their TONGUE TEETH. WTF is that, even sharks don’t have teeth on their tongues

stu170
    Free Member

My village is famous round these parts for its geese. Sodding things are a nightmare, always in the road and quite mouthy too, around breeding time. They simply will not let you past, even a gentle nudge with the car won’t get em to move.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I think the ‘break an arm’ thing is a myth but I didn’t want to disturb them anyway. Might head back in a few weeks to see how theyr’e getting on.

teethgrinder

Swans are dicks. If this is anything to go by, you’d be lucky to only get a broken arm.

Edit: It’s a swan being a dick. Don’t watch if you don’t want to see a swan being a dick.

[video]https://youtu.be/NaJa6pVOr5I[/video]

patagonian
    Free Member

There are some of dinosaurs in Hawley Woods at the moment – Filming of Jurassic World 2 “Ancient Futures”

perchypanther
    Free Member

I saw a pair of cormorants on my ride tonight.

It’s about 40 miles from the sea. They’ve taken up residence in my local pond.

sirromj

Edit: It’s a swan being a dick. Don’t watch if you don’t want to see a swan being a dick.

It’s an American swan, what do you expect!?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Holy ShiteyMoley Teethgrinder!

That’s it, I’m going back tomorrow with a big stick!

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqsoGoxpG2M[/video]

dissonance

isn’t the arm breaking thing a myth ?

Apparently so. Still wouldnt want to be attacked by one though.

Ambrose

My little bro dropped his teddy in the River Thames underneath Marlow bridge. A swan pushed it back to shore, much to our relief. I like swans.

Do they ever break people’s arms or legs or hearts or whatever? Apart from Leda, obviously.

papamountain
    Free Member

I got charged by a badger tonight! Was alone on trail next to a fence and suddenly heard something thundering towards me from the front. Just caught sight of it in the lights. I think it stopped and reared up just as i got to it, didn’t hit it, felt no attack..
    Scared the bejeesus out of me, i hooned it off but it didn’t follow thank god.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I got charged by a badger tonight

For services provided?? 😉 😉

RoterStern
    Free Member

You hooned it off and it charged you for the service? 😯

PiknMix
    Free Member

I think the ‘break an arm’ thing is a myth

So did I until my sister and my mum both confirmed that my dad had his arm broken by a swans wing, apparently he was trying to rescue it.

Wish he was still alive so I could get the details/laugh at him.

rOcKeTdOg

dovebiker

I do a bit of flatwater kayaking and there was a swan on my local stretch of canal that was very aggressive, both on water and on the towpath. My racing kayak is quite tippy, the only way to maintain stability is to keep the boat under power – I managed to pass the swan but it then proceeded to launch itself at me, as though it was taking off, running along the water and flapping its wings and crashing into the back of the boat. The combination of bow-wave and boat impact had me in the water at 2 degrees! They’re also known to break carbon-fibre boats with their impact. Fortunately the swan was ‘relocated’ a few years ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Something blocking the bridleway today!’ is closed to new replies.