Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • “someone wants to buy our house” letter
  • kbsa
    Free Member

Hi,

We’re thinking of selling our house, but it’s not on the market yet. We got a canvassing leaflet from an estate agent saying they had someone interested in our type of house. It had the person’s name and I think we’ve found their phone number.

Obviously we have no contract with this agent, so would we be ok to contact the person directly?

Anyone got experience/knowledge as to what the other person’s agreement with the estate agent would be?

Cheers,

kbsa.

woffle
    Free Member

if its not through your contracted Estate Agent – none, AFAIK.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Phone em and find out 😉

I suspect they are bullshitting – we had similar aaages ago, someone wanted to buy our house for £250k, had a name and everything. They never even came to see the place when it went on the market though, funny enough (ended up selling for £200k… which hurt a lot)

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

its a scam

midlifecrashes

Scammier than a Nigerian inheritance spent on a new Dave Hinde frame from IWH…

Mugboo

This how a friend of mine chose his next house so its worth an ask

midlifecrashes

Yes, but did your mate do it through an agent?

eth3er
    Free Member

mlc you make me howl. 🙂

kbsa
    Free Member

Mugboo – could you ask your friend if he had any kind of contract with the agents when they sent out the letters?

Thanks for the warnings everyone, but I’m pretty sure it’s not a scam, the agent is a respectable regional one, and I think they offered us the same service when we were looking years ago!

muggomagic

was the name Mr J. Smith? If the estate agent really has someone interested I think they’d play their cards a little closer to their chest. Otherwise you might be able to find the interested party’s number and contact them direct. 😯

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Call the agent direct, or get a friend to, asking for a bit more info.
    If it seems legit, contact the ‘buyers’. You might find it’s just the an estate agent posing as a potential buyer, just to get you hookedin & interested! 😆

aphex_2k
    Free Member

midlifecrashes – Member

Scammier than a Nigerian inheritance spent on a new Dave Hinde frame from IWH…

Made me chuckle.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Well agents do charge a humungous amount of cash for taking zero risk and merely have to introduce you to a buyer. The marketing details are not beyond anyone moderatey computer literate. They are supposed to handle negotiations and ongoing communications, but would you trust this to a firm that has their own agenda? Sorry, I just cannot see their “value add” and the pricing is way way “out of the zone”.

I’d definitely opt for a private sale, but check any agent’s contract small print to which you might have agreed to.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘“someone wants to buy our house” letter’ is closed to new replies.