Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Someone tried knock me off my bike yesterday – deliberately!
  • Hadge
    Free Member

I was riding from work yesterday on my normal "safe" route when some plonker in a big station wagon pulled out on me from my right side and pushed me into the gutter. I stayed on but shouted at him (yes maybe I shouldn't) and called him a blind prat when he suddenly did an emergency stop causing me to do an endo and using my immense skills ( :roll:,) actually stay on! I pulled round his car and carried on when he opened the door, got out to shout a loud of abuse at me. I totally ignored him and just carried on. But as I did I heard his engine rev and I braced myself as he drove past, knocking my arm and and making me hit his car but luckily managing to stay on. He then sped off but not before I got his registration plate details. I flagged a car down who's drive saw it all and we exchanged details and I got home, shaking and rang the Police.
    After a visit to the station giving them the details and story I've been contacted this morning to find it's an un-registered vehicle and also uninsured – typical. The Police called to see me at work and they went to the scene of the incident only to come across the guy and nab him. I'm now waiting for another visit from them and hopefully it'll end in a proper result for the cyclists. I'm ok – shoulders a bit sore but nothing serious and no damage to the bike than god. What a day!

wwaswas

Well done you for getting his number and well done the police for nabbing him 🙂

meehaja
    Free Member

good news that you're ok and they got him, nice to see the police taking an interest… its great when the system works!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Result. Well done. Fingers crossed he gets more than a slapped wrist.

psychle
    Free Member

glad you're OK… and good work to the cops for nabbing him, that's two good police stories I've heard today 🙂 Returning to the scene of the crime is always a good idea, it's suprising how so many crimes are committed near the rats homes 😕

coffeeking
    Free Member

Nice one! But what the hell is a station wagon? Have you only recently returned from an extended US visit?

Hadge
    Free Member

I think because I got his number and the PNC check showed the car as being dodgy, they've got something positive to nab him for. I'm hoping now he'll get done for the offence against me, especially as I've got a witness plus he's knackered for the car and no details. Wasn't nice and I hate to think how it could have ended if he hit me harder.

Hadge
    Free Member

Station wagon – 4×4 – pick-up they're all the same to a BMW driver lol.

kimbers

isnt it attempted murder if he tried to hit you with his car?

Hadge
    Free Member

You've got to prove something like that Kimbers but he obviously tried to intimidate or cause injury/damage to me or my bike. There was no cars coming the other way so he didn't have to swerve to avoid them as he came past me. Just a case of road rage I guess but I hope some form of justice is done in the end.

cynic-al
    Free Member

kimbers – Member

You'd need to prove intent to kill.

kimbers

i dont see how driving a tonne of 'station wagon' at a cyclist could be considered anything other than attempt to kill

sofatester
    Free Member

You might have something there but i doubt it would stick in court

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Gald your ok.

Where was this ?

Part of me says you should also take this story to the newspapers, as it might encourage the authorities to take it more seriously.

Another part of me thinks that the very act of publishing this will make some idiot thinks its a normal thing to do and they'll drive into some one else. Wont occur to them that the driver got caught.

neninja
    Free Member

If he's running fake plates hopefully they'll do him for perverting the course of justice. If they do he'll have to be careful not drop the soap in the prison showers.

The reality is he should be done for dangerous driving, attempted assault, no insurance, perverting the course of justice. If found guilty of that lot he'll be enjoying a significant spell inside. However the CPS will no doubt either muck it up, fail to provide evidence/turn up to court or decide not to pursue it.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Glad you're ok, good outcome. Well done for exercising restraint and not dragging him out of the vehicle and beating seven shades of s**t out of him.

cynic-al
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    i dont see how driving a tonne of 'station wagon' at a cyclist could be considered anything other than attempt to kill

OK, I give up.

If he's running fake plates hopefully they'll do him for perverting the course of justice

Did you make this up?

myheadsashed

If he has no insurance did the police seize the vehicle?
    Worth asking.
    Sounds like a stolen motor anyway.

aracer
    Free Member

attempted assault

Attempted? Sounds like he succeeded.

Hadge
    Free Member

I'm in Newcastle Under Lyme. The idea of contacting a newspapers good but I'd rather it be a proper news story with a result of him getting what he deserves. I'll keep you informed of what happens.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

well done fella. Git needs to go down and the law will sort his no registration, insurance etc 🙂

dans160
    Free Member

Good work fella.

househusband

Nice one, Hadge – also glad that the other driver was happy to offer witness statement.

zaskar
    Free Member

Crazy nutcase, glad cops got him.

sonik
    Free Member

well done matey.
    a similar thing happened to me a few years ago. some bloke in a 4X4 pickup thing 'pretended' to ram me from the side. i saw him laughing, so i stopped and hurled abuse [mistake]. i quickly made a fast getaway when he got out of his 4X4 and reveiled himself to be an 18 stone bruiser skinhead animal-you know the type.
    runaway runaway

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Good work!

Had something similar on weds night as i was cycling home from work.
    Approached a junction where i was turning left & waited as a bus was passing. Bus then pulls into nearby bus stop & i pull out & ride past on his outside. Next thing, the bus hurtles past me and pulls in leftward pretty sharpish into another bus stop. Thinking he was being a bit daft i passed him again & carried on. Heading down the road that has cars parked either side a car started to overtake me (no problem with that) and the bus decided to overtake BOTH of us on the wrong side of the road – the car driver looked pretty shocked as well.
    Bus pulls into yet another stop (they are about 500yrds apart on this road) and yet again i pass him and stop at the lights.
    I'm turning left and the bus appears behind me, revving it's engine in a way i can only assume was meant to intimidate me. Didn't respond or look back at him.
    Lights change, i set off. Bus sets off, starts to overtake then deliberately pulls hard left into me coming close enough to hit my handlebars. Then pulls back into the centre of the lane and drives on.

Shook me up, thought i was going under the wheels there. 😥

Called the police with his reg. No & ident No. and also called/e-mailed the bus Co. but not heard back from the bus Co. yet. Police said they weren't interested as i wasn't hurt!

neninja
    Free Member

Did you make this up?

If he purposely doctored his reg plate or put a knowingly false plate on his car he could be charged with perverting the course of justice or attempting the same.

Here is just one example of a driver charged with that very offence –
    http://www.kentnews.co.uk/kent-news/Jail-for-speeding-driver-who-used-false-number-plates-newsinkent3822.aspx

http://motorbikesolicitor.co.uk/Offence_Guides_-_Drink_Driving_and_Number_Plate_Offences/

cynic-al – you need to be less cynical

cynic-al
    Free Member

Police said they weren't interested as i wasn't hurt!

Insist on investigation! Unacceptable.

cynic-al
    Free Member

my apologies theninja!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Police told me "It's not the sort of thing the police generally get involved with".

Seems like its open season on cyclists in Gtr Manchester then.. 🙄

hora
    Free Member

If you have a witness, press for charges/follow up. Plus this lads possibly driving whilst SORN/Uninsured etc hence the 'interest'?

The deliberate action- If that was car v car or pedestrian the driver could be issued with a section 59?

Glad you are ok Hadge. I had an idiot move and I caught up/followed the fella to his Police station swipe/carpark- then proceeded to ask him if he was proud of himself as his (assume) colleagues went past him into work.

If you genuinely feel it was a drive at you and you were lucky- speak to the duty Inspector. Ask why this isn't in the public interest.

No idea about the technical terminology the Police use but if you make enough noise/complaint even they can't tell you to go away.

Speshpaul

Glad you are ok and i hope this idiot goes to jail to be honest, very doubtful that he will.

TheSlider
    Free Member

I don't see why you have to die (or at the very least, seriously injured) BEFORE the police see it as serious !!
    No doubt both drivers will be hit with a hefty driving ban – being as probably neither have a licence – that'll teach 'em a lesson they won't forget….

NikNak7890
    Free Member

You should get his details from the Police, contact someone like http://www.bikeline.co.uk/ or the CTC solicitors and start a private prosecution against him.

Also, if you have any injuries at all, document them and take a trip to your GP just for a once-over.

nbt

Called the police with his reg. No & ident No. and also called/e-mailed the bus Co. but not heard back from the bus Co. yet. Police said they weren't interested as i wasn't hurt!

Go to the station and ask to see the duty inspector. Ask him to explain in detail why the man isn't being charged. make sure you write down the name and number of the person you see and take notes. Explain that you will be talking to the Police Complaints Commission, and be prepared to follow up on that. As has been said, the reply given is unacceptable

Hadge
    Free Member

Going take on board all the comments about taking action against him and I'll contact the CTC and seek advise off him. I'm lucky as all I got was bump on the arm but I truly belive that was down to me having a sixth-sense knowing he was coming at me and sort of staying loose on the bike. I promise you all I won't let it drop and I think his mistake was thinking that a silly cyclist wouldn't catch his number plate. I live right near the area he works so I would have been round there today but luckily the Police got there first.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Someone tried knock me off my bike yesterday – deliberately!’ is closed to new replies.