• This topic has 36 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Aidy.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Someone has just driven into my car
  • Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

My car was parked in a parking bay on the side of the road. All nice and legal. When I returned to it it has a dent in the back where the person behind has driven in to it. No note left, nothing.

Then a man comes running out of his office and volunteers that he saw it all and has the reg number of the other driver.

So do I report him/her, if so who to? It’s not a lot of damage but t has pi**ed me off that they did not leave a note and just drove off.

Advice please.

landcruiser
    Free Member

Report it to local police and insurance company.

br
    Free Member

Is it enough damage that you want it fixing?

If not, just ignore and save on the (possible) hassle.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cheez0
    Free Member

yes, get details of witnesses and make sure they will make a statement to the insurance*

..and what landcruiser said.

* mrs cheeze had the car bumped in the same manner, witness says ‘i saw it all but dont want to get involved’
    the tw@ is making it difficult for us to claim as he wont make a statement, in that case, why bother telling us he saw it all?.

Burls72
    Free Member

Report it to the police, automatic 6 points for failing to report an accident. People like that deserve it, why should you lose out because they are a ****.

Sui
    Free Member

is it enoough to make you spend money on a repair? If you get the insurance company involved and/or police your premiums will be affected. You will be considered higher risk though it was no fault of your own – that is an official view from the insurance unts (c) who sky rocketed my premiums after the same thing happened – though the driver admited his fault..

edited for clarification

Aidy
    Free Member

Report it to the police, automatic 6 points for failing to report an accident. People like that deserve it, why should you lose out because they are a ****.

Right, if you can get them to get off their arses and do anything.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You only have to report accidents where there is an injury no?

Def consider whether to claim or not.

el_diablo
    Free Member

Plod won’t be interested unless there’s an injury.

I reported my own accident to them years ago, I was asked if anyone was injured, I said not and was told not to worry about it.
    I also tried to report someone who drove in to my wife’s car, after I called him to tell him how much the repair quote was, he then told me he wasn’t insured. Again police asked if anyone was injured and then said, and I quote ‘get your insurers to chase him, they’re better at it than us!!!!!!’

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Cynic-al no any accident you have to swap details, car reg, insurance company etc. Injury TA police must attend, non injury we don’t have to.

Aidy
    Free Member

Plod won’t be interested unless there’s an injury.

Even if there is, they’ll just tell you it was your own fault.

Not that I’m bitter or anything.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

It is an offence for failing to stop and give details, police will investigate. But as said doesnt help if witness won’t talk to police!

Burls72
    Free Member

It was some time ago but a friend drove into a wall, knocking it down. He left the scene without telling anybody and a neighbour reported him. He got 6 points for failing to report an accident. IIRC you have 24 hours to report an accident to the police.

Aidy
    Free Member

It is an offence for failing to stop and give details, police will investigate. But as said doesnt help if witness won’t talk to police!

When I pointed out that the driver had admitted to fail to stop and give details (post assault statement), the police seemed entirely surprised that this was even a thing.

Then after checking with a more senior police officer, still failed to do anything about it.

donsimon
    Free Member

Report it to the police, automatic 6 points for failing to report an accident.

He might have done it deliberately.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Lol @ don Simon!!!! Like it 😉

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Update, following STW advice (This has to be the most stupid thing I have ever done!) I have reported to police.

I have come away from that call feeling slightly more like I am a perp than a victim but I guess there is a process to follow. Tomorrow I have to take my docs to the main stn in Norfolk. If I prove that I was legally on the road, then they will trace and speak with driver.

I have to say that the whole situation does not fill me with confidence. At 2pm I parked my car, at 4pm I returned to find it damaged. I did the right thing by reporting it. But I still feel that to get my car back to the condition it was in at at 2pm it will cost me money. Surely that is not right???

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Unfortunately shit happens though. A few years ago my wife was rear-ended when driving her brand new (4 weeks old) £16k car. Repair cost came *just* below the 60% write-off limit and it was repaired – now it is next to worthless on a trade-in against around £4.5k for a similar (but not extensively repaired) car. I have spent 5 years being quietly annoyed about it but there is nothing I can do.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

About a month ago I accidentally reversed into someones car when turning. It was dark, no-one was about, and I wasn’t keen on knocking on doors at 11:30pm, so I drove off. I went back a few days later and left a note on the dash of the car I hit.

Guy phoned me up, and we agreed a private repair. Only cost me £200, insurance companies weren’t involved, and I can still sleep at night.

enveetee
    Free Member

Note found on car…

‘I’ve just bumped into your car, sorry. Someone is watching me write this note and thinks I’m leaving my details…’

Aidy
    Free Member

On topic, I am a bit fed up with people crashing into my parked car.

Particularly so when I always go to the extra effort to make sure I park it where it’s unlikely to be hit.

Three occasions now, in the space of a couple of years. Have any notes been left?

Not a lot you can do though, is there?

cloudnine
    Free Member
    AndyP
    Free Member

He might have done it deliberately.

[applause]

wheelz
    Free Member

Was sat in our local shop car park a couple of weeks ago, waiting for the missus to pick up some milk, and the old guy parked next to me opened his door into the side of my car.

Got out to have a look and there’s a big dent in my door.

“You’ve just put a big dent in my door.”

“No I haven’t, I never touched it.”

“The dent has paint from your door on it and your door has paint from my car on it.”

“No it hasn’t. It wasn’t me. See some sense.”

“Okay. just let me get your registration details and a few photos and I’ll let the insurance company sort it out with your insurance company.”

“If you’re looking for trouble, Ill get my son down here…”

“Ha, ha… Go on then…”

Luckily a couple of other people also saw him do it, so he ended up paying the couple of hundred quid it cost to repair.

Even when he was giving me the money he was claiming it was my fault for parking too close to him, despite the fact that he arrived and parked after me.

I’m sure he’ll do it again, but will probably get away with it.

In the meantime I’m still waiting for the insurance company to deal with a claim from November when someone drove into the side of my car in a car park. The third party’s insurance company is trying for ‘knock-for-knock’ despite it being 100% their customer’s fault. Nightmare.

br
    Free Member

But I still feel that to get my car back to the condition it was in at at 2pm it will cost me money

Can’t say you wasn’t warned…

richc
    Free Member

From personal real world experience, call these people: http://www.ach.uk.com/

If you have an independent witness, and it definitely wasn’t your fault they will deal with it, and it won’t cost you a penny or put up your premiums, and the car will be put back to the same condition it was (or better) before the accident.

Plus you will get a hire car whilst its being fixed.

I used them after some muppet drove into the side of me when going around aroundabout, and it was a very painless experience.

retro83
    Free Member

richc – Member

From personal real world experience, call these people: http://www.ach.uk.com/

If you have an independent witness, and it definitely wasn’t your fault they will deal with it, and it won’t cost you a penny or put up your premiums, and the car will be put back to the same condition it was (or better) before the accident.

How does it not cause your premiums to go up? Do they recover the extra premium you would have to pay after having a non-fault accident?

I reckon somebody hitting my car (non-fault, repair costs fully repaid) will still cost me £250 over the next 5 years. Good luck to anybody trying to get that back.

richc
    Free Member

your insurer isn’t notified (as they don’t need to be) so your premiums don’t go up, and nothing is logged against the car so in effect as far as your insurer is concerned you weren’t involved in an accident.

If you are uncertain you can discuss it on the phone with them, and if your aren’t happy with their responses don’t use them.

robh

richc you seem to be saying that when you try and get insurance and they ask you have you had any accident regardless of fault in the last 5 years you either don’t answer or don’t answer correctly?!

richc
    Free Member

When I go through an insurance broker, I say/said someone drove into me, however it wasn’t reported to the insurer as it was a non-fault accident and they do whatever they want with that information and it hasn’t increased my premiums at all.

It does mean that you have to deal with a human being rather than a web form though.

AndyP
    Free Member

Let it go…when its not a big damage.
    this. if the car still works, remember it’s only a bit of metal.

mustard
    Free Member

I’ve a feeling daniel may be another of the strange spam bots…

o96192083
    Free Member

just get the wit to dial 101 and report a crime, then call yourself and say the damage has actually occurred. The other driver will get a court summoning and if found guilty will be charged with leaving the scene of an accident (6 points default!)

zbonty

I was at one of my sites recently and during lunch one of the maintenance guys came in asking if anyone had bumped into his Subaru?

Blank looks all round (i was on my bike so in the clear!)

Shortly, the fat security bloke then got up looking sheepish and left the room leaving his fresh McDonalds uneaten…strange..

Small car park with about eight cars and incriminating paint swappage plus CCTV footage and it was all figured out (you saw car reversing and Scuby actually moving). Other than the continued denial, even in the face of the evidence the tosspot tried to delete the footage but was too inept. Surprised he’s still in a job after that sort of dis-honesty.
    Some people are dicks

zbonty

As an aside to my above post-
    another security guard (in the same building) has just been disqualified after getting pulled over for having no license/insurance. He’s only been driving British streets illegally for 26 years!!

a11y

Note found on car…

‘I’ve just bumped into your car, sorry. Someone is watching me write this note and thinks I’m leaving my details…’

Even better when putting it on an undamaged mate’s car, then watching them irately wander around their car trying to spot the “damage” as you p*ss yourself laughing…

Aidy
    Free Member

Even better when putting it on an undamaged mate’s car, then watching them irately wander around their car trying to spot the “damage” as you p*ss yourself laughing…

Haha, that’s too good not to do.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Someone has just driven into my car’ is closed to new replies.