Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Someone figured out how to do that oneup tool properly
  • honourablegeorge
    jimdubleyou

I like this thing from last week’s FGF

Fork Cork

finbar
    Free Member

Re. the fork cork – am I missing something, or do you need to remove your front wheel to access it? And unless you flip your bike, when you undo it, won’t anything you’ve stuck up there immediately fall out into the mud?

theotherjonv

how do you tension up your headset if there’s a multitool in it instead of a starfangled nut?

Also, I’ve been using the bit of space in there to store a quicklink ever since they became invented, now I literally can’t leave home without one.

And re the ‘fork cork’ – I stuff a bit of screwed up clingfilm up the inside of my fork to stop it filling with mud.

jimdubleyou

Re. the fork cork – am I missing something, or do you need to remove your front wheel to access it?

I suppose it only works for suspension forks – the steerer tube is a fair bit above the wheel on my bike and I’ve only got 100mm of travel…

And, yes I suspect you get used to catching the items as they fall out with the cork.

BoardinBob

theotherjonv – Member – Block User – Quote
    how do you tension up your headset if there’s a multitool in it instead of a starfangled nut?

Read the Spesh article. It tensions from the bottom.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I have a Lefty so I’m thinking ForkCork in the top and a simple plug in the base. No starfangled in a lefty, just a long empty tube.

legend
    Free Member

theotherjonv – Member

Didn’t click then link huh?

My biggest issue with the cork is that you’ll also need to devise a way to stop stuff rattling around

al2000

It’s neat but the OneUp tool wins for me as there is much more in there – most of the space in the Spesh tool is occupied by the headset preload system.

Rubber_Buccaneer

OneUp wins for me too. Packs the most in the space available, I’d really like to get my hands on one to check how usable the EDC is in real life.

That fork cork is a good idea as a budget option but it isn’t budget. Nearly £30 for an elaborate bung that isn’t even convenient to use 😯

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of fork corks and really like them. They’re not difficult to use and work as described. Nicely made too.

I’ve also been looking at the OneUp EDC. Does it rely on the bung to stop it rattling or would it work just as well with the fork cork? I only ask as there is a min and max steerer length for the EDC.

poah
    Free Member

that SWAT CC is a bit much just for a multitool. I carry one in my pocket

Rubber_Buccaneer

^ that is the bottom line for me and the reason I don’t own any of these. I think the OneUp EDC is really neat but it’s still only a multitool and gas cartridge. I also want to carry a tube, adaptor for the gas, tubeless repair, maybe a pump, my phone, keys, some cash, water, food….I may as well stick the tool and gas cart in with that lot 😀

frogstomp

Re. the ForkCork.. looks like a marine drain bung would do the same job for considerably less..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

that SWAT CC is a bit much just for a multitool. I carry one in my pocket

I think that’s the problem with the entire SWAT range, there’s some cool ideas, but ultimately it’s just replacing 50p’s worth of neoprene and 10 minutes on a sewing machine to make a tool wrap you could then strap to any tube on any bike!

Pridds

Got an EDC and love it. The bung recieves the bottom of the tool so it does stop the bottom part from rattling on the steerer tube.
    If anyone is thinking about getting one i’m hiring out the tap for £5 a go!

Junkyard
    Free Member

they are all good suggestions but none of the negate having to still carry stuff

I prefer to have a camelbak as this easily changes between bikes

With those solutions its one for each bike and I still need to take my camelbak with me or other storage solution

Neat ,ineffective, and expensive is my view.

£30 for a bung you folk are crazy to pay that for that however nice looking and neat it is

nairnster
    Free Member

Can you get marine drain plugs small enough though?

dufusdip
    Free Member

Wee cog dropper-friendly saddle bag gets a tube, mulittool, quick link, co2 in. It’s small and unobtrusive and less messing about for about a quid more than the cork bung using the Premier discount code.

Looked at the swat stuff but the tube had to go in the stash tank pocket.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I will do anything to avoid riding with a pack on my back.but mostly a tool roll under the saddle even with dropper is all you need

Pridds

EDC and a B RAD strap are all i need. Phone in the pocket and i’m sorted

BoardinBob

If you have a Specialized saddle their Mountain Bandit is very good. I’ve been using it for a while

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/accessories/swat/bandit/105618

muggomagic

I think the SWAT stuff is good if you have the carbon frame with the SWAT box. I have tube, mini pump, co2, tyre levers, spare brake pads and hanger in the SWAT box, multi tool tucked in a slot just above the shock and the chain tool in the headset. Hardly ever have to wear a back pack and no longer have to double check I’ve got everything before I leave home as I know it’s all packed in the bike. Only time I use a back pack these days is on long days when I need the extra water or Bike Park stuff when I want a bit of protection for my back.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Swat cc is just an extra chunk of metal adding weight to my bike when I can stow a better multi tool in my pocket with no hassle.
    Fork cork is better but as Frogstomp pointed out there are cheaper improv options. I’ve never considered storing things there so will look in to it.

antigee

not quite the same but bought a topeak (i think) ninja pump that goes up your seatpost – well it would except without thinking i tried putting it up a specialized cobble one with a zertz gel insert so the rubber washer is still stuck up there making the pump unusable as intended – tried the hoover, tried bent wire, tried sticking it under the tap – its still there

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Spec have been doing some really innovative stuff with the SWAT systems and really on a bike that costs that I’d happily leave a multitool and CO2 in it (due to a packing malfunction I now have enough tools for each bike) so it’s always there. Though I think One Up still have the lead on the steerer one and the BB idea looks really good (not sure who did that one)

I’ve been running a smaller bag (USWE ones) with limited storage apart from water and small stuff, getting the tool and CO2 out of there would be a good thing and mean it’s always there.

Inner tubes are the next hassle and just geting them out of the way of dirt etc would be good.

nixie

Iove the simplicity of the 4mm and 5mm Allen key that fit into my syntace x-12 axle. However it does mean a lot of these tool solutions would mean duplicate tools. I’m wondering currently about taking a old crank bros mulit-tool apart and printing new ends/sides that would make it work a steerer bung.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m surprised no one has ever offered a modular tool. Buy the bits you need for your bike and then mount them into something like the crank bros frame.

monkeyboyjc

I love storing stuff on my bike but the swat steerer tube and fork cork are incompatible with my bikes (sealed base to forks) and the one up version is a)horrendously expensive and b)requires threading of the steerer tube (mine are carbon).

nixie

I think the threading is a terrible idea. Can see that limiting resale of forks that have had it done.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Can’t remember the last time I sold a used fork. Not sure it would be a problem selling. Leave the threaded preload cap on them or nosh in a sfn. Depending on length, someone might need to trim them anyway.

BoardinBob

How is threading any worse than a star fangled nut putting gouges inside the steerer? You can always remove the One Up gubbins and knock a SFN in. Makes zero difference

Rubber_Buccaneer

I still think the ‘Fork Cork’ is way overpriced but if anyone was tempted the importer has a 25% off sale this weekend

http://www.cyclorise.com/store/c1/CYCLORISE-HOMEPAGE-INDEX

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Someone figured out how to do that oneup tool properly’ is closed to new replies.