Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Someone explain long travel hardtails to me…
  • DoctorRad
    Free Member

I just don’t get it, what’s the point of having 5+ inches of travel up front and nothing on the back? If you’re travelling sufficiently fast over terrain where you need that much travel up front, isn’t what comes through the back end going to be highly uncomfortable / wheel damaging?

What practical advantages does is have? Is it just a case of what people have grown up with? Or is it largely a marketing gimmick?

MrAgreeable

So you can’t bend your legs then? 😉

rs
    Free Member

its just bloody good fun! 😀 Sorry can’t give a more technical response on why.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Yep, but even with 3 inches up front, what comes through the back is enough to send the saddle into my b*lls in a very uncomfortable manner if I’m not extremely careful. Do you have to adapt your riding style a lot?

MrAgreeable

I think it takes a bit of an adjustment. For the first few months of owning mine I was pinch-flatting like a good ‘un. The most embarassing was puncturing when riding up the kerb outside the bike shop. Having said that, you soon get the hang of riding the front and just letting the back end do its thing. I can’t say saddle/balls interfaces are a big problem for me but maybe I’m just less pendulous than you. 🙂

emac65
    Free Member

I think rs hit the nail on the head….

jonathan
    Free Member

Saddle down!

And dual ply rubber on the back 🙂

There’s definitely a different technique – weight over the fork to use it’s FULL travel, trust the front tyre, and let the back end smash along in line. As oppsoed to sitting ‘into’ it more on a full sus. So more front rear<->weight shifts needed going in and out of corners than on a full-susser.

Really comes into its own on super steep techy stuff where you can shift the back end around more easily.

You be surprised how much abuse the rear wheels can take – and your calves 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

is it ever about need? I think you are missing the point

DoctorRad
    Free Member

So what is the point?

emac65
    Free Member

it’s fun & they look good…..
    What more do you want…..

yossarian
    Free Member

if you have to ask then you are not rad enough

JonEdwards
    Free Member

6″ of fork travel, 18″ of leg travel. Bottom out at the back is rather more literal – High Roller/ringpiece interface 😯 .

If the trail is anything other than a climb or a fireroad what are you doing sat down?

Should be finishing off my Bfe tonight. REALLY looking forward to tomorrow! 😀

sharki
    Free Member

Its all about control, having more bounce up front allows your front wheel to maintain contact with the ground without the jarring through the bars you’ll get on a short travel fork, grip together with less of a beating through the wrists mean you can control the front wheels direction better allowing a faster pace through rougher stuff, the rear does its thing and by increasing your speed your rear wheel has more chance of not dropping into every dip and undulation on the trail, the legs are great shock absorbers and have quite alot of travel when used well.

Keep the front wheel in the direction you want it and let the rear do it’s thing, it’ll squirm and jump around at times but mostly it’ll let you know you’re having a great time.

It also allows a little extra cushioning through the arms when drops and jumps are landed a little front first.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Oh, and based on my Soda (5″ forks) they’re simply HUGE amounts of fun to ride, and not a massive amount slower than a full sus.

MrAgreeable

So what is the point?

Assuming the rider isn’t just sitting there like a lump on a log, a long travel hardtail will do everything a short travel full susser does with less weight, expense and hassle.

Pippin
    Free Member

They are FUN – thats all there is to it – pure unadulterated hooliganism, throw them around, treat em like you hate em, ride it like you stole it FUN.

You are more in touch with the trail due to having to be constantly moving body around – not having the get out clause of sitting on your suspension. Harder work – definitely, but worth it for the fun of the ride. Less maintenance issues as well.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

If the trail is anything other than a climb…

I like climbing though…

… or a fireroad what are you doing sat down?

Saving my aging back and shoulders?

nickc

Once you get over the fact that going down, it doesn’t matter overly much what the rear wheel is getting up to, then it makes all sorts of sense, they’re lighter than a full suss, not very much slower, less moving parts to look after, and it’s laugh out loud funny.

It’s the way forward.

jonathan
    Free Member

They’re REALLY GOOD FUN… has anyone said that already?

ton

i disliked h/tail for a while and spent a lot of money on other bikes.
    i now like long travel h/tail again.
    they are DABOMB innit…………………. 😀

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I can vouch for Sharki’s speed on his HT. 🙂

It’s only really scary when things get really choppy at speed. And your legs get a big workout and you get used to the rear-end skipping and sliding – it’s exciting having to work your balance instead of riding the magic carpet.

I think HTs are actually better at slow, steep terrain because when you roll-down, you don’t have a rear shock unloading you over the bars if you get it slightly wrong.

But my HT is noticably slower on rough ground under-power where you would sit and focus on pedalling with the FS, you have to stand and focus on balance. I’m sure there are some really good HT riders on here that don’t have a problem with that even.

nuke

Despite some good answers (particularly sharki’s post) you’re not sounding very convinced: just try one…your aging back and shoulders should survive as long as you stand up and bend zee knees 😀

Olly
    Free Member

because the front wheel does all the control, steering and braking.
    the rear wheel just follows.

if you can kepp your legs loose so the rear is free to buffet around underneath you, you ride the fork, and youve still got the traction and therefore control that the long fork offers.

i havent got one 🙁
    i want a stiffee FR (amongst other things)

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I like climbing though…

..and a long travel hardtail won’t stop you… Saddle up and it’ll climb like any other bike.

Saving my aging back and shoulders?

This would be the same back and shoulders that’s constantly getting hammered up the arse and having to cope with all the weight getting thrown onto your hands to stop you going over the bars? Drop your saddle, stand up and you can be much more centred on the bike, with more weight on your legs. You can get also get lower and use your legs and arms more to absorb the trail.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I like mine for sub 4-hour rides when I can cope with the aggro without getting exhausted. For longer rides, I prefer the magic carpet.

maxray
    Free Member

lol at sitting down on the saddle when going downhill. Has only happened a couple of times right near the end of an enduro and you get bucked all over and have no control.

stand up and be free DoctorRed!!!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Lol at DoctorRad’s Uun-rad give away!

mcboo
    Free Member

My favourite bike is my long travel Ti hardtail with TALAS fork. 25lbs in XL, can ride it all day long, wind down the travel for the climbs and let it all hang out on the big descents. Great bike for big days out in the lakes, peaks, spain, wherever.

Like the guys say above, you just learn how to ride it differently, make the fork do the work, pick your way down the big stuff like the hero you are.

Eccles
    Free Member

My comedy Lyriked-up B17 frame is possibly the most fun I’ve had on a bike since the Mini Burner I had when I was 5, and that’s praise indeed. It’s an absolute horror to climb on, though.

2tyred

All the lightweight hardtail flickability and a fair chunk of the confidence-giving full suss rideoveranythingness.

They’re for the sort of riding that marks you out to admiring female onlookers as a winner and a hero.

Chalkyslide
    Free Member

I just don’t get it, what’s the point of having 5+ inches of travel up front and nothing on the back?

Just get out and ride one and you will find out. If you like climbing then try one with an adjustable fork. I found changing to a 5″ ht gave bags more confidence on the downhills compared to what I rode before which was a 3″ ht. And way cheaper compared to an equivalent weight full sus with less mechanicals esp for winter riding.

MrNutt
    Free Member

because:

rs
    Free Member

nice workstand!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Cool subzero MrNutt

rs
    Free Member

ps, on the sore back thing, i never noticed a difference going from 5.5″ travel at the back to zero, my thighs after the first few rides though were murdered because of all the standing!

alpin
    Free Member

i think that for 95% of most peoples riding full-suss isn’t needed.

i have a mate who grew up riding FS. he’s not a bad rider, reasonably fast (on the downhills, not up). he’s recently moved his rear set-up to 4″ from 6″. he now keeps telling me how much more connected to the trail he feels. duh.

o my Alpine i’m able to keep up with/pass him on all but the very rootiest/rockiest sections where his FS allows him to take, within reason, almost any line. at the bike park, my Alpine handles everything that his 6″ jobbie does. ok he may not to riding it to it’s full potential but still, neither bike is holding us back.

LG-HT have all the benefits of a normal HT; climbing ability (obviously helps with adjustable forks), simplicity and weight with some of the advantages of FS but not the weight of a FS. often my mate is puhing to the top of a climb i’ve just cleared because of the weight of his bike.

my Alpine climbs up almost as well as my 100mm Sanderson. slightly different position but it isn’t hard to adapt.

it annoys me slightly that so many people ride FS thinking that is what they need. everyone should do a three year apprenticeship on HT before being allowed to buy a FS.

firestarter
    Free Member

i didnt like to ride them at first it just felt wrong compared to my 80mm hardtail. But now im used to it i luv it 🙂 ive got talas on it tho so i can drop it for climbs. Tho i havent actually changed them as they are great at 140mm

BigDummy
    Free Member

I wanted a new bike with some fairly sizeable bounce. A decent full sus would have coast nearly a grand more than a hardtail with the same spec. I did not have a spare grand. Doubtless there are good reasons for it even if you ahve the wonga spare, but I didn’t. 🙂

rob1984p
    Free Member

They look amazing, cost way less than decent bouncers, make you realise how much riding full sus all the time affects your skill, go up hills; whenever i have ridden full sus even short travel up hills my chest has been trying to escape my chest.

My FS cost sh*tloads. It’s f*cking ace!

😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Someone explain long travel hardtails to me…’ is closed to new replies.