• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by paule.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Somebody has bumped the wife's car
  • Harry_the_Spider

It was hit whilst parked. The chap who did it has left a note and has agreed to put it through his insurance.

Do I have to tell my insurance?

terrahawk
    Free Member

yes.

after you’ve told STW, obv 😉

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

How bad is it.?

portlyone

I’d tell him not too bother since you were so happy he came forward in the first place.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

hope you & your 7 kids recover from the nasty whiplash injuries.

Jamie
    Free Member

You should reward his honesty by paying for both sets of repairs.

Harry_the_Spider

Bad bumper scuff but only damage to the paintwork, not the bumper itself.

It must have been a hell of a bang as my neck is hurting and I was 15 miles away.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Tiz but a scratch. Leave it there and the next time it happens you won’t give a toss.

jambalaya
    Free Member

It must have been a hell of a bang as my neck is hurting and I was 15 miles away.

I think 30% of your premium is due to personal injury claims, so you’d only be claiming back what rightfully yours anyway ? 😥

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Have you phoned the number he left yet?

julianwilson
    Free Member

If there was no note and no witnesses how upset would you be? Be aware that having it repaired through insurance will cost you an increase in your premium regardless of it being nothing to do with the way the car was driven or parked, and pretending you never found a note and then living with a scrape on your bumper will cost you nothing. ( unless car is new-ish and you are planning on selling soon. )

Harry_the_Spider

I have phoned the number. The damage to his sounds worse than the damage to ours and he has agreed to get it all sorted.

The question was whether I need to inform my insurance even though they will have no involvement.

MoreCashThanDash

Was he drunk and/or speeding?

Harry_the_Spider

eh?

julianwilson
    Free Member

The question was whether I need to inform my insurance even though they will have no involvement.

In that case the small print in your policy will more than likely say that you do have to tell your insurer. They will want to know because statistics says that your car is more likely to be involved in further accidents now so they or whoever you switch to need to charge you more for it next year (when i did it online about a year ago, every quote i had went up about fifty quid as soon as i mentioned a very similar car park scrape paid for by other driver’s insurer) . And at renewal time they will find out anyway through the database thingy, as the other bloke will have to tell his insurer who he bumped into.

[edit] The drink/speeding comment above is ref: the other thread with loddrik argiung how much he was speeding by, and the arising troll thread about how drunk is drunk. But rest assured that if your whole family was squashed flat in your parked car by a speeding drunk truck driver, assuming you weren’t in the car and so seeking car insurance the next year, as a consolation and to assist with the grieving process your premium would still go up fifty quid as that accident makes your next car more likely to get squashed flat by another drunk truck driver a second time. Aren’t statistic great?

nick1962
    Free Member

If the guy insists on going through his insurance then you have little option.Personally I’d settle for some cash if it’s offered to spend on something nice and just leave the car as is.

Harry_the_Spider

Just spoke to him again. His is a company vehicle so it has to go through insurance. Groan.

paule
    Free Member

In that case, add the increase to premiums (backed up with otherwise identical quotes) to your uninsured losses claim.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Somebody has bumped the wife's car’ is closed to new replies.