Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 290 total)
  • "Some very impressive engineering to get the cassette down to £115."
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

So says stw of GX1000. Really?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’m not convinced. The price is nearer to acceptable but how many pins that I hope won’t work loose before the cassette is worn?

Rubber_Buccaneer

And impressive engineering? No.

mcnultycop

“Down to”

PJM1974
    Free Member

Seventy five more quid just for one extra ratio?

I’m sure I can do a new cassette plus a 40T for less.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

2 extra gears, let’s see you get a 10t on a conventional one. The price looks about right for my next drive train change. Comparable with some stuff out there. Considering the use and enjoyment I get from my bikes I’m happy to spend reasonable money on it.

RustySpanner

I much preferred cycling when it was the sole domain of the impoverished eccentric.

Knowing that your target demographic was as skint as a church mouse was wonderful at curbing the excesses of the manufacturers.

I do rather wish some recent converts would piss off back to the golf club and take their ‘inspirational and aspirational’ pricing with them.

bol

The thing is that this will be such an OEM product that the likes of Merlin will be discounting the nuts off it by the end of the year. I’d be surprised if you won’t be able to get one for £75.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If they’d kept the one piece design and got it down to that price I’d be impressed. Although more with the manufacturing than the engineering.

njee20
    Free Member

Seventy five more quid just for one extra ratio?
    I’m sure I can do a new cassette plus a 40T for less.

No, £75 more for an entirely different cassette which happens to have two additional gears, one of which you won’t get on an XT no matter how hard you try. Better? You’re comparing apples:oranges.

A car can cost more than an XT cassette too. Rip off.

russjp
    Free Member

I refuse to spend more than £25 on a cassette. I’ll be sticking to 9 speed and a dose of mtfu to go up hill!

marky29er
    Free Member

I don’t believe it is compulsory to buy one. Other cheaper cassettes with less gears are available.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

The barely concealed seethe whenever something new is launched on here is a joy to behold 😆

rOcKeTdOg

Until there’s some competition at this level (c’mon Shimano) they can price how they like

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

What was wrong with a triple.?

nickjb
    Free Member

My first thought on reading the headline was ‘great’ but on reading on I did think £115 is a little on the steep side. I’d hardly call comparing it with a Shimano cassette apples and oranges. Yes it isn’t much money in the scheme of things but it’s an awful lot more than a £30 XT cassette.

eviljoe
    Free Member

much preferred cycling when it was the sole domain of the impoverished eccentric.
    Knowing that your target demographic was as skint as a church mouse was wonderful at curbing the excesses of the manufacturers.
    I do rather wish some recent converts would piss off back to the golf club and take their ‘inspirational and aspirational’ pricing with them.

This x 100000000

I am not falling out of love with my Bike and riding it, but I have definately fallen out of love with Mountain Biking…

tenacious_doug
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

but it’s an awful lot more than a £30 XT cassette.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-xt-m771-10-speed-mtb-cassette/rp-prod52281
    RRP is £50, the “you can get them from” price is a little misleading when doing a comparison. As the SRAM option isn’t in a shop you don’t know what the sale price will be.

much preferred cycling when it was the sole domain of the impoverished eccentric.

Take a look around, you can still by deore level kit for peanuts that will probably work better and last longer than 10 years ago.

I’m sick of people picking out a new and expensive component and claiming all mountain biking is now sooo expensive and the nasty nasty manufactures are forcing it all on us. No reason not to buy deore 9/10sp kit.
    The difference between a £1000-1500 entry level bike now and 10 years ago is huge.

ahwiles
    Free Member

looking at the cranks, i reckon they might be suitable for shortening, so there’s a good chance i’ll buy some of those…

and a wide-range 11speed is a nice idea for those of us that struggle to set-up/operate front mechs (i’ll include myself there*)

but “impressive engineering”..?

nope.

(*i cannot for the life of me manage to set a front mech so that 1click = 1upshift)

so, i like it, but yikes.

munrobiker
    Free Member

It’s not even fair to compare it to an xt cassette, the technology is more akin to Deore- steel cogs held together with pins. The price is obnoxious, and even at a discounted price is far more than people should be willing to pay for a cassette. I too saw the title (in Mbr) implying cheap wide range and thought “great, a cheap big cassette to run with new shimano 11 speed to make an affordable groupset. Then I saw £115 and I was out.

Remember if you want to.fit it to your existing bike you will have to buy a new.driver on top of that price. Mental. It’s a part that will wear out. Equivalent to charging £50 for a single shock bush.

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t see what’s so unimpressive about the engineering there – lets see you lot knock one up in your garage. What doesn’t really add up is that it’s much the same engineering as on a X1 cassette and the pricing appears to be mainly marketing driven rather than based on any advance in engineering – they’ve already sold X1 to everybody prepared to pay that much.

Am enjoying Rusty’s contributions though – presumably you’re aware of a problem with the pins on the similar X1 cassette?

Nothing at all like a Deore cassette – far more similar to an XT, you do realise one of those is also steel cogs pinned together?

irelanst
    Free Member

I don’t see what’s so unimpressive about the engineering there – lets see you lot knock one up in your garage

I think you’re confusing “engineering” with “manufacturing”. It wouldn’t take long to knock up a model of the cassette in CAD and find someone to make one for you. It would cost significantly more than £115 though.

nickc

I much preferred cycling when it was the sole domain of the impoverished eccentric.

Sad and ever so slightly pathetic

Klunk
    Free Member

seems quite good value when surly charge £23 for a single cog 🙄

toys19
    Free Member

yes Al I see your point, its magazine arse-lickery of the highest order. It would be impressive it was the same price as a 10 speed cassette. It should be 9.09-10% more expensive…

5thElefant
    Free Member

The difference between a £1000-1500 entry level bike now and 10 years ago is huge.

£1500 is entry level? Was entry level 10 years ago? You have an entirely different idea of minimum requirements to me.

But yes, cheap components are the expensive components (or unobtainable at any price components) of 10 years ago.

nickjb
    Free Member

seems quite good value when surly charge £23 for a single cog

It’s one extra cog for £70. Makes that surly look very cheap.

daveh
    Free Member

Cheapest 11-42 10 speed cassette is what, £55 but you need to modify a slx cassette for that. No bodging, £70 with an xt cassette. Plus you really need a 17t which seems to be about £10. £80. And that’s with the cheapest expander cog, go one up and perhaps you’re at £90. The GX gives you bigger range with the 10t and an extra gear for £115, doesn’t seem too out of the way for present pricing. Whether I’d buy one is a different matter.

Klunk
    Free Member

It’s one extra cog for £70. Makes that surly look very cheap.

yeah but it can have 3 times the number of teeth. 😉

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

“great, a cheap big cassette to run with new shimano 11 speed to make an affordable groupset.

Of course maybe sram thought much the same then decided they didn’t want to help sell their competitor’s product.

It’s oem gear through and through and I’d expect to see it priced against deore 610 builds given the rrp difference between an XT build and an x1 one vs the rrp of the group sets, then once you have an xd equipped bike you’ll buy their cassettes any how.

qwerty
    Free Member

Looks a bit, err, RoboCop

One of the things about previous iterations of SRAM’s 1×11 drivetrains was the high cost of the cassette. Here are details on the GX offering, according to the press release: “FULL PIN™ technology uses eleven lightweight, stamped steel cogs held together with 123 high-strength stainless steel pins. The result: a cassette that’s extremely light, durable and equipped with SRAM’s super wide 10-42 gear range that’s a perfect fit for any ride. The open design similar to our X-DOME™ cassette aids in mud clearance, giving you cleaner shifting performance and longer component life.”

XG-1150 FULL PIN™ CASSETTE
    The XG-1150 cassette differs from the X01 and XX1 cassettes in that it is not a single unit, but is instead 11 individually stamped cogs pinned together to cut down on manufacturing cost. It weighs 80 grams more than the X1 cassette because the X1 doesn’t use pins to hold together the three unified cogs on the high end.

FEATURES
    • 10-42T range
    • XD™ driver body compatible
    • Technologies: FULL PIN™, XD™ driver body, JET™
    • Weight: 394g

kimbers

What doesn’t really add up is that it’s much the same engineering as on a X1 cassette and the pricing appears to be mainly marketing

You’ve hit the rivet on the head there !

But until shimano offer some competition SRAM can get away with it
    They’ve done their homework really price of an expander sprocket + xt cassette + a bit more for the 10t + shimano don’t sell this = £~115

However as I’ve just gone back to shimano as I found the mid range SRAM stuff too flimsy I think I’ll stick with my expander

nickc

Or an entire 1 x11 groupset for £460.

I can make a cassette last 18 months (riding a couple of hours twice a week) with a couple of chain swaps.

so that’s £50 for a couple of chains, and £115 for a cassette, that’s about a tenner a month…which puts us obviously into the stratospheric world of golf club fees and bats 🙄

chakaping
    Free Member

Do Sram hold a patent preventing anyone else from manufacturing cassettes to fit the XD driver?

I know Shimano probably wouldn’t anyway, just curious I suppose.

jmatlock
    Free Member

There is a real undertone of inverse snobbery here. Like you have to be some rich golf playing dentist to buy this stuff.

‘We don’t want people with money liking our sport, it’s for poor folk’

With people spending money comes innovation and trickle down tech. Had no one have bought XX1 then this product wouldn’t have existed at all. Now someone with (slightly) less money can enjoy it.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

£1500 is entry level? 😳
    I got my first “proper” MTB in 1986. A Dawes tracker.
    It was an entry level £237…

jmatlock
    Free Member

Look at what £1500 gets you these days. A huge amount of bike. Stuff is expensive these days.

My first MTB was a 94 Kona Hahana that was £425 quid.

andyrm
    Free Member

Totally agree jmatlock – fact is, this is loads more affordable than XX1 at launch, so factor the same incremental reductions as OEM stock comes onto the market and it’ll be very cheap.

This is a good thing – it’s more choice and accessibility.

Unlike what some strange people on here would like to believe, the lizard rulers of the earth aren’t trying to force you to buy this. There are other, cheaper options. But this gives a great new entry point to 1×11.

Either buy it or don’t. But for god’s sake stop the inverse snobbery bullshit. If someone can afford it and it makes them happy, good. If it creates and protects bike industry jobs from R&D through to retail, good.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Massive marketing success, a whole thread about an SRAM product, one which most of us wouldn’t dream of buying. companies often carry a top end product whuch is designed to showcase their technology, (think cars) perhaps this is priced to reflect the low production run / sales they expect.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 290 total)

The topic ‘"Some very impressive engineering to get the cassette down to £115."’ is closed to new replies.