Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Some roadbike questions for a newbie.
  • King-ocelot
    Free Member

Hello, I have just bought my first road bike now my commute is only 7 miles. I wanted a road bike over a commuter as I fancy going on a few long rides at weekends and joining the annual works rids cycling event. I’m having a bike fit next week to make sure it’s set up correctly for my height but I have a few questions…

1) all my riding thus far has been mountain bike or DJ, when looking at strava comparing myself to other riders it seems as though they are more smooth and don’t stop peddling. My graphs on the same segments are up and down. I think this has come from years of MTB rushing up to an obstacle jumping/etc then rushing to the next. Am I correct in thinking roadies peddle constantly?

2) can anyone please advise on a good layering system for the winter commute, for less than £100 (I don’t mind used) I am currently using my MTB gear and my baggy shorts don’t let me hop in and out of the saddle.

Enjoying my road bike so far 🙂

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Am I correct in thinking roadies peddle constantly?

Pretty much. It’s all about being smooth and efficient.

can anyone please advise on a good layering system for the winter commute, for less than £100

Bib tights, never underestimate a good pair of bibs. Merino base layer and some sort of wind stopper jacket. I managed to pick a gore jacket up a few years ago for not a lot of money and I can get away with just a thin base layer underneath and when it’s really cold I pop a gillet over the top.

lunge

As above, don’t stop pedalling!

As above on layers as well, though i prefer synthetic base layers to merino. For interchangeable conditions (most of the year in the uk) 3 roadie specific items that really work are a wind proof gillet, some arm warmers and some leg or knee warmers. All 3 can be stowed in back pockets when not needed and can be picked up quite cheaply.

geetee1972
    Free Member

As funds allow, for commuting consid getting some Showerspass Skyline pants. They are very comfy, waterproof and fit like a tight trouser rather than a tight. I would always use bib tights for actual rides, but for commuting in the rain when I don’t want to look too much like a MAMIL, the showers pass are excellent.

As for pedalling, yes, smooth consistent strokes all the way (ahem). There’s even a word for it. Supplesse. 😀

tomkerton
    Free Member

If you’re going to commute all winter then Hands and feet will be important.

Wind proof insulated gloves are important.

A thick neoprene overshoe will be fine for 7 miles rather than winter boots which are spendy (£120 ish) and well worth it.
    Are you riding clipped in? SPD?

Mudguards will save alot of the mud & wet getting on you.

tomkerton
    Free Member

And yes … Keep pedalling, up, down or flat!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Thankyou!
    I’m currently on flats with a cage, they came with the bike. Some spd’s and shoes are on my Christmas list.

I’ve been out this morning for a practice at gear changing and keeping smooth. Really enjoying the road bike. My other bikes a BFe with 150mm fork so it’s a very different ride with more finesse on the road bike

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

If you ever get the chance to do a fast ride in a group then go for it, it’s amazing fun. 😀

orangeboy
    Free Member

I must be a little odd. I still use baggy shorts no matter what bike I’m riding as I like the pockets and never had an issue withy them catching the saddle.

For winter a good bib tight and a gloves/overshoes will help no end
    For budget brands the Madison stuff or funkier seem very good

Mud guards too

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Decathalon do some fairly decent bibs, base layers etc for the money. Well worth a trip to your local store.

stevious

Pedalling – try to concentrate on keeping your upper body relaxed & keep control of your breathing. You’ll eventually find yourself going quite fast for quite a long way and it won’t really feel like you’re trying.

Lots of good advice above about clothing. I use whatever bib-shorts I’ve got with knee warmers or unpadded leggings over the top depending on temp. Top half is usually a mixture of jersey & windproof, with a waterproof if it’s really wet.

There’s a whole lot of different stuff you can try for your hands/feet and it’ll take a bit of time to work out what works best for you. Planet X have a whole load of gloves, booties etc at really cheap prices so I’d have a look there. They probably have some kind of £20 bundle that’s outrageous value.

EDIT: Also, muddydwarf is right about Decathlon stuff.

Sandwich

If you want to save a couple of quid and have lycra mtb liner shorts with a decent pad then the Lusso Repel Max tights are a good bit of kit. Nice and toasty but no pad in the crotch, stirrup loops at the foot to stop them riding up.

chakaping
    Free Member

As Sandwich suggests, if commuting I’d say get a pair of tights or bibs without liner, and wear liner shorts under them.

You’ll then have to wash the tights much, much less.

Merlin got a sale on ATM and Cyclestore are good for cheap roadie stuff. Also Start Cycles for Scott kit at silly prices.

Are you gonna have a backpack or will you need jersey pockets?

pdw
    Free Member

Clothes for commuting can be tricky as you have to go from stone cold to fully warmed up, and you don’t really want to be stopping for a costume change.

My recommendation is tops with collars and zips. Opening and close the gap around your neck makes a huge difference to warmth.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Are you gonna have a backpack or will you need jersey pockets?

Backpack for a bit, we have a locker system at work with a waiting list I’m due for a locker in January. For my weekend rides I don’t want a back pack at all.

Gloves are a definate, I’m using my MTB gloves at the moment but I didn’t realise how many vents they all seem to have but I suppose i wasn’t going as quick on MTB

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

My recommendation is tops with collars and zips. Opening and close the gap around your neck makes a huge difference to warmth.

Spot on.

I have varying degrees of kit depending on the temperature.

0-10 winter bibs and windstopper/
    10-15 arm and leg warmers with base, jersey, gillet. The leg and arm warmers can always be taken off for the warmer ride home.
    15+ shorts, base, jersey.

…and if there is a chance of rain then I carry a packable waterproof.

chakaping
    Free Member

Planet X Flanders softshell gloves are pretty good, especially if on offer – paid £7 or £8 for mine.

If you’re carrying a backpack, your MTB upper body stuff might be fine for now? I use the same two softshells for most of my wet MTB and road rides anyway.

kennyp
    Free Member

Lots of good advice above, and hopefully this is another bit. And apologies if it is blindingly obvious. One of the main things for any commuting jacket is that drivers can see it. I’ve read that reflective luminous stripes are actually more important than, say, a bright yellow jacket. And get at least one good rear light. Okay you may pay forty or fifty quid for it but it is worth it. And get a rear light for your helmet too.

Other than that have fun and welcome to roadie world.

TiRed

Welcome to the fold. I think you’ve discovered that a flexible wardrobe for the daily commute is not cheap! I ride in every day in clothes that cost the same as my suit.

Decathlon are great value for clothes. Get some bib longs, any base layer and a good fleecy lined jersey.

As for jackets, everyone likes the heavier Altura jackets. Personally I think they are boil in the bag, but I’m commuting at 18-22 mph, so wear a thin wind shell as needed.

To pedal you need “supplesse”, never stop, keep the legs turning over at 90rpm. By spring, you will be looking for longer routes to work!

project
    Free Member

Sports direct and Decathlon both do cheaper ranges of cycling kit, got quite a few bits.

Decent gloves and a head sleeve (buff)are worth a few quid, plastic bags over feet then a pair of thin socks over keep your feet dry.

Remember to keep a stock of dry clothes at work, a puncture outfit, and some tubes and a pump.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I would also invest in a CO2 inflator, changing a tube in the dark & rain when you are late for work isn’t fun.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Cyclestore are selling Endura Raceline Roubaix (ie fleecey) bibs for about 40 quid, half rrp and as nice as my 90 quid Giordanas.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice 🙂

Just been on a 30 mile ride, slowly getting into the constant peddling thing and getting used to the gears.

My brakes seem very weak, do they need much bedding in? Maybe I’m expecting too much after huge discs?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

You might find Aldi still have some softshell tops. They’re not mega breathable but they’re good when its cold. Aldi do some pretty warm ‘lobster’ claw style gloves as well. Wish I’d been wearing mine this morning!

Bib tight from Decathlon, or just some lycra bib shorts with some leg warmers – they’re a good versatile way to get some shorts for summer but ‘convert’ them for use in all but the coldest of winter days.

chakaping
    Free Member

What brakes have you got?

Unless they’re pretty high end I’d strongly recommend swapping the pads for Kool Stop Salmons.

They’re an amazing upgrade even in cheap Tektro calipers.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

The brake pads that came stock on my charge juicer were lethal.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Brakes are: Cannondale C4, dual pivot, cartridge pad.

chakaping
    Free Member

Get some better pads then. They make a far bigger difference than on mtb brakes.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Some roadbike questions for a newbie.’ is closed to new replies.