Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Some great news on Garburn Pass
  • ChrisE
    Free Member

Comming in the next day or two (on the RoW over it) (building on the Walna Scar news recently)

C

grum
    Free Member

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Gobbledigook of the day award

austen

I hope that means I’ll still be heading that way on the brmmmbike soon, but doubt it…

BigJohn

Wouldn’t it be great if they smoothed it out and put a proper surface on it? It’s just SO rocky. Almost unrideable.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

What was the Walna Scar news?

grum
    Free Member

Googling it I found that they made a final decision to ban motorised vehicles on Walna Scar.

http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/index/enjoying/outdoors/green_roads/green_road_walna.htm

I’m guessing maybe the same will happen with Garburn? Stunningly uninformative OP though.

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

Problem being the legislation is only as good as the enforcement and as there was motorbikes up there last week on the troutbeck side I dont think a great deal is going to change. I maybe wrong but I think the minority of bikes are not going to take much notice unless the effort to keep them off increases dramatically.

grum
    Free Member

I can’t say it really bothers me that much tbh on rocky tracks like Garburn/Walna Scar – I suppose the level of noise is pretty anti-social.

austen

I think that you’ll find the vast majority of motorised users will respect the ruling (but will fight it through the proper channels). Unfortunately there will always be some idiots who ignore the rules and I hope will be caught and prosecuted.

It’s a shame that the majority of riders go around unnoticed, but those that ride loud bikes and tear up the trails are causing a massive reduction in access… Ho hum.

midlifecrashes

If the motorbikes were electric, so made no noise or smell, would they be more tolerated?

Sanny
    Free Member

Sorry but why is this a good thing? Bannng a user group from trails doesn’t fill me with any joy. I can’t say in the many times I’ve ridden there and seen folk in 4x4s, I’ve not felt any desire to see them banned. They’re a user group just like us. Sounds like a sledgehammer to crack a nut approach to me.

scuttler

There are some electric trials bikes (Ewan MGregor and his mate rode them up in Queensland on the telly). I can’t help thinking though that part of the fun for participants is the noise and smell although though that is primarily the problem for everyone else (erosion not always being a problem).

fourbanger
    Free Member

If people weren’t such NIMBYs they’d be more tolerated. MTBers are starting to push the boundries in terms of access citing the ramblers movement. I think some motorbike riders are doing the same after the closure of so many legitiamate trails. This is a small lump of rock and we all need to get along and use it sensibly, side by side. Some cyclists and some walkers seem to forget that the road they traveled along in their car was once the same as the byway they want restricting.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think that you’ll find the vast majority of motorised users will respect the ruling (but will fight it through the proper channels)

thank god they dont have a set of cheeky rules so they can ignore other users rights and joke about their transgressions to their mates.

TBH only probelme I ever had was nearly hitting some as we were going fast downhill and they were coming uphill and we all only just stopped…bit like walkers feel on bridleways with MTB?

We [ MTB community] are being a touch hypocritical here.

chakaping
    Free Member

We [ MTB community] are being a touch hypocritical here.

Horse riders and walkers have been hypocritical for years with great success, so it’s probably not a bad thing.

**** them and their noisy **** machines. I don’t want them on bridleways and I don’t care if that makes me a hypocrite.

fourbanger
    Free Member

nice mate

Drac

Good thing about the motorised vehicles they get rid of the sanitised bits and turn to good rocky fun again nice and quickly. Bad thing is they can also churn it into a right old mess and hold you up on the descents.

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

I think you’ll find they aren’t supposed to be there right now but they are. I think you will find making the ruling banning them permenant will have no effect on the people which are currently ignoring the ban already. I think you will find they use the pass when most aren’t there to complain or report them. Pretty much like every footpath mountain bikers use.

Get over it. Banning motorbikes only enforces the opinion that that is where we should be not that we should have greater access to the rest of the countryside.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Why is a reduction in rights to public access good news?

Gary_C

If the ban comes into force, will it/can it be enforced? Walna Scar is subject to a ban on motorised vehicles, but you still get motorbikes up there.

As seen here on the 26th Feb 2011…

Northwind

First they came for the dirtlaners eh…

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I agree with Sanny, banning motorised vehicles from row only disscourages a legitimate user group,The people that ride ignorant of the law are not effected by a sign on a gate.

Apparently lots of greenlaners are using the trails at night when its quiet. 😉

Theres lots of damage from enduro bikes on stephensons ground near Coniston at the moment, and its all Bridleway/footpaths around there. 😥

ChrisE
    Free Member

ChrisE
    Free Member

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/pins/row/documents/fps_q9495_7_22_m.pdf

The news is now out, The decision is published. It’s called an interim one as it can be appealed as the width of the route has changed but other than that it’s final. The descion is a restricted byway ie only open to walker, horses, cyclists and horsedrawn carts.

C

boxelder

Stunningly uninformative OP though.

He lives in Yorkshire – where they tell him to stop using so many words (advice he tries to avoid with the judicious use of brackets)
    Apparently

Y’allreet Chris?

ChrisE
    Free Member

I am all’reet.

When are you back round here to ride out for a day? Had a good day out recently with Mike from TMB and phil’ in early May,

C

ChrisE
    Free Member
    kaesae
    Free Member

What does that mean in real terms ❓ and how much do we pay these inspectors ❓

Junkyard
    Free Member

Did you rad the link 😯 here the first sentence

A GOVERNMENT [their caps] appointed planning inspector has ruled that an ancient Lake District fell pass is out of bounds for motorised vehicles.

now as this was a bit vague for some the third sentence helped clarify it

It means that any motorist or motorcyclist using the pass is committing a criminal offence and could face serious legal consequences.

How has that confused you ?
    Now as to how much we pay them

The decision by the Secretary of State

http://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons-information-office/m06.pdf
    but they took a 5% pay cut as we are all in this together and only earn £134,565 + MPs expenses + ministerial perks – house perhaps , car etc.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Some great news on Garburn Pass’ is closed to new replies.