Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 588 total)
  • SOME dog owners make me very angry…..
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

yeah, sure.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Yup – what other person have I affected there?

the kind of response you expect from a speeding motorcyclist giving it beans down twisty mountain roads. it’s doing nobody any harm.
    until you hit somebody…

nealglover
    Free Member

TJ, you continually accuse me of misquoting you, or twisting your words, or misrepresenting what you said.

So just for clarity, here is a direct quote[/B] from you.

I haven’t changed it any way, it’s cut and pasted from this thread.

Just read it

Then have a think about it.

Then explain it ?

[quote=TJ]Tandem Jeremy

…Prezet – why should I have to accept your dog coming up to me and sniffing me?
    I don’t like it,
    I don’t want your dog to do this.
    Please acccept your legal responsibilities and control it.
    [/quote]

Right, have you read it ?

Now explain exactly what you meant by “Legal Responsibility”

And how does it relate to a dog “coming up to you, and sniffing you”

(and I cannot be “Misquoting” you as it’s a direct and full quote. I cannot be twisting your words as I haven’t made any statements, just asked questions about what you said.)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think that is fairly clear. would you like a dictionary?

Legal obligation. Something you are bound to do and a court can enforce it. It might be criminal or civil. There might be stature or case law. No sensible dog owner would deny they have a legal obligation to keep the dog under control.

If your dog is kept under control it does not go up to people uninvited and therefore sniffing around them.

Simple, straightforward and concise

Now cue another load of hysterical rantings, distortions and denials.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

No sensible dog owner would deny they have a legal obligation to keep the dog under control.

Surely this has nothing to do with the sensibility of the dog owner or if in fact a person is a dog owner at all. Either a dog owner has a legal obligation to keep the dog under control or he doesn’t. The denial of this is meaningless.

The only issue, assuming the legal obligation, is whether or not a dog which is sniffing a person is out of control, or if you prefer, not under control.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nice one Charlie 🙂
    *tips hat*

donsimon
    Free Member

If your dog is kept under control it does not go up to people uninvited and therefore sniffing around them.

Said dog has wandered up to TJ and is about to take a sniff, when the victim reaches for his phone to make a formal complaint.
    How do you think the police would react?
    How do you think the courts would react?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Said dog has wandered up to TJ and is about to take a sniff, when the victim reaches for his phone to make a formal complaint.

Now, you are twisting his words, it is not the sniffing which is the problem so much as the wandering up.

donsimon
    Free Member

It’s a moot point anyway as my dog had standards…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Now I’m wondering, If i tell my dog to go up to TJ and sniff him, and he obediently does so, surely the dog is under control.

TJ how would you be able to tell if the dog wandering up and sniffing you is doing so under control or not?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

It’s a mutt point anyway as my dog had standards..

Sorry, just hate seeing waste

donsimon
    Free Member

Now I’m wondering, If i tell my dog to go up to TJ and sniff him, and he obediently does so, surely the dog is under control.

nealglover
    Free Member

Legal obligation. Something you are bound to do and a court can enforce it. It might be criminal or civil. There might be stature or case law. No sensible dog owner would deny they have a legal obligation to keep the dog under control.

Both points are true.

And the fact is.

A dog owner has No Legal Obligation Whatsoever to stop their dog wandering over to you and having a sniff.

Just because you don’t want it to. Doesn’t make it a “legal obligation”
    Do you disagree with that ??

Sadly for you, TJ-Law only exists in your head 😥

(I’m sat stroking a sleeping dog as I write this, but I suppose you still think I’m “ranting” 🙄 )

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

(I’m sat stroking a sleeping dog as I write this, but I suppose you still think I’m “ranting” )

Is that a euphemism?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A dog owner has No Legal Obligation Whatsoever to stop their dog wandering over to you and having a sniff.

Really. so you do not have to keep your dog under control then? 🙄 You have repealed the various animals acts? the kennel club think you do.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Really. so you do not have to keep your dog under control then?

Now you’re twisting his words. He didn’t say that.

user-removed
    Free Member

Fascinating. It’s like watching the slowest, most boring car crash in the world.

donsimon
    Free Member

Fascinating. It’s like watching the slowest, most boring car crash in the world over and over again.

Relatively new here, are we?
    Do not fear though, progress has been made.

user-removed
    Free Member

Even by STW standards, this is quite bad.*

*(understatement).

nealglover
    Free Member

OK TJ.

Now is your chance…………

Prove me wrong.

Which LAW would they be obligated by, to stop there dog wandering over to you and having a sniff.
    (no criticism, or waffle, just the LAW please)

Many thanks.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The tags are particularly unimaginative
    some quality rating from Neal tho with creative use of bold which was a minor highlight is a sea of drivel.

some nice comparisons of dogs to children and far fetched claims that dogs have rights and some nice understanding from some dog owners as well.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Oh TJ, that’s weak, even by your standards.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Oops -= he is off again. 🙄

Are you really that hard of thinking?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

me? Yes, I am, now you can show the law and how it would apply to sniffy dogs

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not you charlie

nealglover
    Free Member

Can you answer my question then TJ ?

Or can you not find the LAW that relates to the situation you described.

(I did say no waffle, just the relevant law please ?!)

It’s a mystery really because normally you LOVE quoting laws at people, like on the “big man” threads ?!

user-removed
    Free Member

Actually, this reminds me of a (true) dog-related story. Whilst walking Kasper the lurcher over the fields, I saw a dog in the distance tearing after something. It managed almost a whole field before giving up and returning to its owner. At this point, a nearby dalmation took over and chased the still invisible would-be prey round a field twice, before coming to within 50 yards of Kasper and I.

At this point I could see the object of interest was a large hare. Kasper saw it and took over where the dalmation left off, so really, that (crap but true story is quite like this thread, if you substitute the hare for TJ). The hare was unharmed by the way.

As an aside, can anyone tell me the phrase used to describe a hare crouched down hiding in grass? It’s got a rather lovely name, but can’t remember it. TIA.

donsimon
    Free Member

How do you think the police would react?
    How do you think the courts would react?

I suppose I’ll have to assume that these are not being answered because you know that common sense prevails in the real world and you’d be told by the police to simply mtfu.
    Always good fun on these, but at least we’ve gone from fear to dislike and 1st person to 2nd person or passive.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

No user-removed, neal has the baton firmly clenched here, we’re just along for the ride

nealglover
    Free Member

The reality is.

TJ will never answer the question.

Because to do so will prove him wrong (heaven forbid)

There is no Law that requires dog owners to stop their pets wandering up to people and having a sniff.

TJ will soon deny he ever said there was (again) and accuse me of making it up (again) 🙄

And no doubt accuse me of “Ranting” (again) In an effort to divert attention from his made up laws.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Neal

@re you really this dim? can you read?

Its a mix of differnt statute, and case law. some civil and some criminal. it varies depending where you are .

Some links to some of the more obvious laws.
    http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/1052

Training

A well trained dog is a happy dog and, he will not be a nuisance to others if he’s under control.

Stray dogs

You must keep your dog under control at all times.

http://archive.defra.gov.uk/environment/quality/local/dogs/owner.htm

donsimon
    Free Member

@re you really this dim? can you read?

*giggles*

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I think you should ask this family what they think about dogs sniffing around people

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1314164_toddler_infected_by_playground_dog_mess_could_go_blind

I really hope she recovered and maintained her sight

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Also the kennel club again
    Do
    # Keep your dog under control at all times.
    # Train your dog to use the kerb correctly.
    # Always clean up after your dog.
    # Keep your dog close to you when walking it on a lead.
    # Respect the Countryside Code.

Don’ts

* Don’t allow your dog to foul footpaths, parks or public places. Local authorities have the power to make it an offence punishable by a fine. [Dogs (Fouling of Land) Act 1996].
    * Don’t allow your dog to interfere with passers-by in the street.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/205

nealglover
    Free Member

Yep.

The problem being.

None of it says anything about dogs wandering up to people and generally having a sniff and exploring the area though does it ??

And the kennel club stuff is just general advice ? Nothing legal at all.

The Ski Club of Great Britain says I should wear a Helmet.
    But it’s not a “Legal Responsibility” is it ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

🙄

buttercup
    Free Member

Alright.. so after some reading… have we decided that allowing a dog to roam around is out of control?
    Whilst it is inhumane to keep the animal in a restricted area?
    But it is only out of control if it is infringing on someones thought process?
    but not if it’s a leopard?
    Of which, if domesticated, was created by humans?

Can we get back to a point, gents? it’s losing momentum.

P.S.

Keep your dog close to you when walking it on a lead.

No need to keep it close if it’s off a lead… and still deemed in control via the kennel club.

donsimon
    Free Member

Do
    # Keep your dog under control at all times. Even when in my enclosed garden or inside the house?
    # Train your dog to use the kerb correctly. Even in the countryside where I live and the nearest kerb is over a mile away?
    # Always clean up after your dog. Even in a field populated by cows, sheep and horses
    # Keep your dog close to you when walking it on a lead.The lead is 1m long!!
    # Respect the Countryside Code.Well duh!!

Don’ts

* Don’t allow your dog to foul footpaths, parks or public places. Local authorities have the power to make it an offence punishable by a fine. [Dogs (Fouling of Land) Act 1996]. Sounds reasonable which is why they were avoided.
    * Don’t allow your dog to interfere with passers-by in the street.Interesting as people would cross the street when I came along with my shaved head, tattooes and little on the lead staffy at a distance of 20m+, when is it reasonable to say the dog is posing a threat and when can we say the victim has overreacted?

Cougar

TJ,

I respect you a lot and mostly agree with your stance on this; however, in the broader scheme of things you’re demolishing your general credibility here. You’re seriously arguing legal issues based on the policies of the Kennel Club?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Always clean up after your dog. Even in a field populated by cows, sheep and horses

yes, toxocanis persists for up to 10 years

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 588 total)

The topic ‘SOME dog owners make me very angry…..’ is closed to new replies.