Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Somail Pirates, what should we do about them?
  • TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

How about using decoys, during the war they used something called "Q" ships
    Basically what seemed to be a tramp steamer was actually a heavily armed gunboat. They had guns hidden behind what seemed to be cargo and once the raiders were drawn in, blew the crap out of them

snowpaul
    Free Member

nuke them from space, its the only way to be sure….

paul

hora
    Free Member
    5lab

?

chameleon78
    Free Member

The problem with the Navy involvement is that when they do find them they cannot open fire on them.

I say give our Military a fighting chance and ditch some of these ridiculous rules of engagement.

hora
    Free Member

As in the Falklands, send in the Subs and Feirless's Harriers 😉

CountZero

Apparently they had armed special forces ready to go and desk jockeys in Whitehall vetoed it twice, forcing the Navy ship to sit on their hands while the Chandlers were taken off their yacht. As far as shipping not sailing close to the pirates, as one poster suggested, that's kinda tricky when the pirates are operating as far away as India using stolen motherships loaded with weapons carrying the fast launches. That means not using the entire Indian Ocean; hardly practical.

dmiller
    Free Member

I say give our Military a fighting chance and ditch some of these ridiculous rules of engagement.

Totally – after all they are like those daft civil rights laws…

Also if they are taking hostages, but not harming them and negotiating for money, is that not a civil police matter between our police / goverment and thier police / goverment rather than an armed forces matter?

grahamh
    Free Member
    flippinheckler
    Free Member

Is there another route the ship could take an avoid going through the waters patrolled by the pirates. It may cost more in time & fuel but result in less risk and hostages.

grahamh
    Free Member

Well once all the ice in the Artic has melted, all
    shipping can go via the North West Passage.

hora
    Free Member

Fantastic idea. They could star in a Musical,

The Pirates from Somalia.

We could make it really camp with lots of cross-dressing etc? 😀

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

The talk like a somalian day should be good for a laugh.

Might upset the pc brigade a bit though, probably not best tried if you are a council worker, teacher etc

MikeT-23
    Free Member

'Round them up, put them in a field, and…….'

Kenny Everett afficionadoes complete at your leisure.

sofatester
    Free Member

not best tried if you are a council worker

Too late 😆

I get in trouble all the time for saying how we should deal with them in my office.

Be interesting what a .50cal would do to a RIB full of Pirates!

zaskar
    Free Member

I don't think bombers is a good idea when that guy is grinning with a rocket launcher!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    WTF
    Free Member

Shipping companies should have their own "security" through pirate infested waters.
    Got to be cheaper than giving those a-holes any cash.

Nico
    Free Member

WTF – Member
    Shipping companies should have their own "security" through pirate infested waters.
    Got to be cheaper than giving those a-holes any cash.

I think that's the point. It isn't.

Olly
    Free Member

i think they cant do anything about it for the same reasons the police cant go around smashing peoples faces in.

like in batman: criminals thrive on the tolerences of society, or something…

if it wasnt a "human rights" problem, i think owners of ships would have no problems with mounting some 50cals onto the corners of the ships?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

if it wasnt a "human rights" problem, i think owners of ships would have no problems with mounting some 50cals onto the corners of the ships?

So it's got nothing to do with international law and armed vessels entering ports then ?
    It's about "human rights problems" ?

How strange 😕

flippinheckler
    Free Member

As they seem to know where the ports these pirates operate from the shipping companies along with NATO should get some special forces guys to put tracking devices on all the boats so they can keep an eye on them, then blow the fookers out of the water if they attack a ship!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Sounds like a job for 007 flippinheckler

BigDummy
    Free Member

I know almost precisely nothing about merchant seafaring, but this International Maritime Organisation Guidance is interesting. This, and other IMO papers read this evening, are very, very against arming ships or carrying personal weapons and suggest that actually preparedness and a willingness to take prompt evasive action are pretty handy in preventing attacks.

Sandwich

I bet they don't join in International Talk Like A Pirate Day in September either.

JoeBones
    Free Member

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Somail Pirates, what should we do about them?’ is closed to new replies.