Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Solve my CK rear hub problem!
  • postierich
    Free Member

When coasting the chain seems to snag and gather,and if I back pedal the same thing happens.Hub recently serviced and cleaned and using correct lube.

Any ideas

jedi

needs lubing. easy to do

jedi

i always use chain lube in mine to stop that happening. 2 5mm allenkeys is all you need

Frankers
    Free Member

It’s common with CK hubs Rich, you tried a full hub service or just split the rings, clean and relube jobbey??

postierich
    Free Member

full service done finish line wet weather lube used!

nicolaisam
    Free Member

when it was serviced did they change any bearings or seals,if they did they need to break in.
    If you serviced it,it sounds like the lube is too thick,Maybe its the cold weather

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Also make sure the bearing preload adjuster is not too tight.

Dibbs
    Free Member

When coasting the chain seems to snag and gather,

Usually caused by the needle roller bearings in the freehub body needing a service/good clean. It’s easier if you have the toolkit 😛

Yet1man

They are also very very finicky about what lube is used in them, if its too thick (which I would say finish line wet almost definitely is) the free hub wont coast properly and causes the type of problem you are describing but cold weather also does the same.

If you download the CK hub manual they talk about changing the lube in the hub if being used around the 0 degree’s C mark.

Michael

ChrisA
    Free Member

On geared bikes it tells you to increase the rear mech tension screw, this Worked a treat for me but I’m not sure how you’d replicate this on an ss. Would probably depend on what chain device your using or how the chains retained currently.

tollah
    Free Member

Chris, the issue doesn’t occur on a SS.
    Postie you’ll find that one or both of the bearings in the freehub part are tight, ime it’s normally the roller bearing that gets a little tight. Or you’ve tensioned the axle up too tight.

snakebite
    Free Member

finish line is too thick, 3 in 1 is bang on 😀

postierich
    Free Member

Serviced myself as I have the tool kit will clean and regrease with the proper CK lube,will check the preload adjustment first!

tollah
    Free Member

Rich the CK stuff seems to be too viscous over here when it’s cold, works well in the summer though. I used green oil on my last few services works a treat.

postierich
    Free Member

Sheldon stripped cleaned and used the ring drive lube and its now perfect so the Finish line Wet lube must be to sticky 😕

snakebite
    Free Member

yup, thats what 8 of us said m8… 🙂

postierich
    Free Member

Snakie I doff my hat to you a wise man with wise words!!!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

It’s similar to when Hora put vegetable oil and too much of it in his forks when he was ranting how much it costs to service Fox.

If you know what lube to use, you are halfway there.

stoney
    Free Member

When i sericved 1 of mine it was doing the same thing, even before i got it on the bike the freehub felt tight. It was simply that i hah`nt engaged the freehub body into the hub properly. It requires a little tap to seat it properly.

sslowpace
    Free Member

If it gets really cold, run it with 10wt oil in an open bath stylee.
    Works very well and keeps it nicely lubed inside…. (fnar, etc)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Solve my CK rear hub problem!’ is closed to new replies.