Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Solstice Riding??
  • jekkyl

Who’s out riding tonight? Sunset on the longest given as 9.38pm!! and where I am in staffs the forecast is totally sunny and a totally tropical 27 Degrees tonight. I’ve earnt this, I’m not one to stay in during the winter. I’m out every week and I dream of nights like this in winter going out in thermals and 2 scarves, with the risk of ice on the descents. I shall be out in the woods tonight in short shorts and short sleeves with the slight risk I’ll need the lights for the final 5 minutes of the ride 8) 😀
    Happy Solstice.

qwerty
    Free Member

I was up at 03:50 this morning and riding by 04:30, fantastic 🙂

weeksy

Potentially riding, depends on the heat though in all honesty. If it’s tipping in at high 20s then i just cant see me riding outside tonight. If i can see low/mid 20s, then yeah very possibly.

scotroutes

I was out at the top of Cairngorm overnight. Just back and inhaling bacon rolls. I’ll pop up a couple of photos later.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Big off-piste ride in FoD this evening, can’t bloomin wait

philjunior
    Free Member

I’ve got my bike and camelbak loaded up ready for a club bivvy night tonight… Sunset is after 10pm up here.

andytherocketeer

27, chilly.

Thought about it, but 35C last night, so nah.

Looks a more pleasant 28C at the weekend, which should correspond to the latest sunset time, so I’ll go for a ride then.

jimdubleyou

I got a Boris bike from Waterloo to work today. Does that count? 😛

scotroutes

Post-sunset sky on the way up

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VK8MVy]P1040310[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VK8MP1]P1040313[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

A few wisps of mist creating some brilliant effects
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/VK8M9o]P1040319[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VK8LDq]P1040320[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

Missed the sunrise due to more hill mist but not a bad place to wake up
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/VK8KZu]P1040327[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VK8Kfy]P1040328[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VK8JAh]P1040329[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VK8HZh]P1040331[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

For my partners in crime it was their first time bivvying. Quite an introduction!

tonyg2003

Was out riding at 3:30am – 20degrees! – then watched a great sunrise. Another 1.5hrs of riding and full English at the cafe. Now to work 🙁

simon1975

Yeah – Dark and White Trailquest from Peak Forest this evening, followed by chips, beer and cheeky Peak bivvy tonight 🙂

fathomer

Yep, local ride with the Wednesday night boys, dry dusty trails, can’t wait 😀

rocketman
    Free Member

Went out yesterday evening to check the conditions and obv out tonight.

‘The nights start drawing in after tonight’ *rolleyes*

kayla1
    Free Member

It’s pissing down here, so probs not 🙁

carlos
    Free Member

yeah, usual Wednesday evening ride. plan is to take in some Macc Forest and Goyt Valley. Might start over in The Goyt though and do more cheeky bits as its dry 😉

trusty

Yep, Staunton trails tonight and tomorrow night. Be rude not to

scotroutes

rocketman – Member

‘The nights start drawing in after tonight’ *rolleyes*Not so. Sunset carries on being later for a couple of days.

jekkyl

This is news to me scotroutes, why is the solstice regarded as the longest day then?

andytherocketeer

because the difference between sunrise and sunset is the largest.

the earliest sunrise was a few days ago.

it’s about a week between the day of the earliest sunrise and the day of the latest sunset, with the solstice being in the middle.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/germany/frankfurt (search for your location for more accurate times, then scroll down and you can see the sunrise/sunset time)
    I think last night was the shortest night? and today is the shortest day. But the mornings have started getting darker already for a few days.

cp

Yeah – Dark and White Trailquest from Peak Forest this evening

me too!

followed by chips, beer and cheeky Peak bivvy tonight

funnily enough I was thinking earlier of nipping home to grab the bivvy kit at lunch time!!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I was out at 4:30 and I intend to be out until 10:00 tonight no lights needed off road.

sebgt
    Free Member

Couple years back I fatbiked from Lowestoft at sunset down the beach to Aldeburgh, rode a lap of the Viking Trail in Tunstall Forest and rode back to Lowestoft for the most easterly sunrise, 80 miles, lovely night. No plans this year

Alex

Was some talk about coming out your way Trusty, but we’re starting from PAB. FoD was brilliant last night and we’ve got an extra minute of daylight to enjoy it tonight.

Based on how hot it is, the choice of route will be less important than the choice of pub afterwards. I’m voting for one serving ice cold lager by the fathom 🙂

Alex

I was out at 4:30 and I intend to be out until 10:00 tonight no lights needed off road.

That’s a heck of a long day EB 🙂

rascal
    Free Member

I’m out tonight…on the road bike 😐
    As an aside, I was in Patterdale last weekend and it was still light at 10.30pm which was very bizarre (went dark very quickly after that though)…

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

where I am in staffs the forecast is totally sunny and a totally tropical 27 Degrees tonight

Ignoring the big yellow warning of thunderstorms, downpours and local flooding… 😉

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

A group of us did an overnight bivvi in the lakes with the 4-Play cycles shop ride. Good craic a good place to spend a night.

Will try to get a pic or 2 up later

lunge

Riding home from work and it’s head v’s heart as to if I should take the long way home.

Heart – It’s the longest day, my wife is out for the evening, it’s warm, you’ll love it.
    Head – You’ve beasted yourself all week, tomorrow you have a 12 mile run planned and today was meant to be a rest day.
    Heart – Yeah, but you can rest Saturday, or even Sunday. And it’s Ok to do tomorrow’s run slowly, as long as you do it.
    Head – Saturday is Parkrun, we know this, we also know you’ll likely run there and back giving you another 10 mile run, that’s not rest. Sunday is turbo day, you love it secretly and will do it whether you’re shattered or not.
    Heart – Yeah, but let me say again, sunny solstice day. Long. Way. Home.
    Head – I’m not going to win this am I? See you at the top of the hill.

So yeah, it’ll be 40 road miles in the evening sun then.

jekkyl

bacondoublechee

Ignoring the big yellow warning of thunderstorms, downpours and local flooding…
    😯 sounds like fun.
    I’ve just had a look at the met office and it states thus:

There is a risk of more severe thunderstorms breaking out over parts of the Midlands, northern England and north Wales from late Wednesday afternoon onwards into Wednesday night, leading to torrential downpours, frequent lightning, very large hail and strong gusts of wind. This could result in some disruption, more likely from late Wednesday afternoon, which may include sudden localised flooding of transport routes, homes and businesses. However, many places will likely miss the worst of the storms and see little or no impact.

LOL that last line is a killer. It might be really really bad or it might not at all! However it suggests that all this will be

Between 10:55 Wed 21st and 02:00 Thu 22nd

when I will safely be at home. BUT given the temps of over 27 being out in rain doesn’t sound too bad.

onandon
    Free Member

Just back from a 42 mile road spin. Average was 33c but it topped out at 39c during the ride.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I think that is 10:55am (met office use 24hr clock). I’m not too far from you and i’ve just had to take the washing in from the line..!

cp

going to be a wet one in the peaks tonight!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Afan tonight, fulling expecting to melt as it’s all too open these days – local woods unbearable in this heat though, it so humid it’s like riding through steam.

jekkyl

Doh!

midlifecrashes

Very tempted to strap on the sleeping gear and bivvy bag and head to a pub about 15 miles north of here, only one I know round with a swimming pool.

trusty

Alex, it’ll be the saracens I expect, cold beer by the river. And it’s close to home!

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’ll be heading out at 9pm after I finish work and doing a 2 hour jaunt through the local woods which is the same as every week day evening. Might get 30 min of daylight riding in before I have to turn on the lights.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Went out last night for a pre-solstice ride as the forecast was good.

What a night! Annoyingly, got back to Glenridding just as the pub shut 🙁

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

A couple of pics from last nights 4play cycles shop ride overnighter bivis tarps of all shapes and sizes!

rob2
    Free Member

Just did a ride over the quantocks. Round lady’s Combe it was all misty and you could only see about 20ft. It was like something out of a Thomas hardy novel. Lovely ride and no one about, not even any doggers for once!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Solstice Riding??’ is closed to new replies.