Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • solo ride disasters
  • geminafantasy
    Free Member

Did my first solo peaks ride last week, only short one up mam tor and down chapelgate, but all the way round i just cudnt get out my head the thought of having a bad crash and being stuck there on my own, for few hours at least. has anyone got any horror stories of this happening to them? or does everyone take it eeeaaasy when riding billy no-mates?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Take it easy – let someone know where you are and when due back. Don’t worry.

rich-6
    Free Member

What Jeremy said, I whack the ipod on and it tends to make me ride a bit less carfully though 😆

allyharp

I almost always ride alone so I’m just used to it. But I am a very risk averse rider so you could probably say I take it easy!

In 2007 while riding the West Highland Way I fell and broke my hand, and was lucky that a walker was just a few minutes behind or I would’ve struggled to get my bike back.

Garry_Lager

Not had any real nightmares compared to some I’ve read on here, and I ride on my own all the time. The worst things are unusual mechanicals that can’t be fixed. I’ve done things like shearing a pedal off the spindle, completely siezing a rear hub etc but it’s only meant a walk of a couple of miles.

There was a guy on here recently talking about getting a flat in Torridon (v remote area in Scotland) and finding his pump was broke! Walked something like 15 miles back carrying the bike – It might have been before the site broke so I’m not sure if the thread is here anymore. Anyway, walking 1 mile in cycling shoes with the bike on the shoulder is a chore – 15 is heroic.

fozzyuk

Same here, always ridden solo so never given it a thought. No accidents so far. Having said that I always leave a route unless I’m doing my local loop (not that that’s any safer…).

For me being out on my own is part of the fun, I’ll probably regret it one day though..

Even go night riding solo although I stick to bridleways and haven’t picked up the courage to try the moors yet….

soma_rich
    Free Member

I went out on my own last year, crashed and did this:

Kuco

I thought you had your fingers crossed for luck 😉

jam-bo

worst i’ve heard of was sharki.

saw him heading out late one summer sunday night on the quantocks as we were packing up.

next time i heard from him was when he sent me a picture of his chest drain…

had binned it in frog combe, seperated his shoulder, broken ribs and collapsed a lung. to make it worse, had to drag himself back up the hill to get enough signal to phone for an ambulance and try and explain where he was.

FOG

I almost always ride alone because I can get out in the week when my mates can’t.This also means i often can’t get out at weekends when they’re out. So I am aware I am a little more careful on my own. It’s better to bottle something potentially nasty than end up in Intensive Care, an institution I spent far much time in due to a Motorbike accident.

cp

i’m always riding out on my own… i wouldnt say i generally take things that easy (i.e. a fast rocky downhill is taken fast!), but i wouldn’t do stuff i’m not massively confident at… like going jumping. general xc riding though, i’m really not too concerned. always take a phone out with me.

I did fall in a stream this morning and had friggin cold feet the rest of the ride… i was swearing at myself for not putting the waterproof socks on this morning!

geetee1972
    Free Member

I did the big Nan Bield Pass ride in the Lakes on my nigel once. I stacked half way down the big decent to the Haweswater Resevoir and had to walk the entire way back on a badly bruised leg.

avdave2

And don’t forget that you could do yourself a lot of damage in the middle of a city and 95% of people would just walk by hoping someone else will deal with it. At least on the trails anyone coming across you is likely to help. The most important thing is that someone knows where your going and what time you expect to be back. And at this time of year some spare warm clothing isn’t a bad idea along with a basic first aid kit. And most important avoid any “I wonder what would happen if” moments. I still to this day remember having that thought before stepping on the garden rake as a kid.

tang
    Free Member

i mostly ride alone and now take it easy solo as a couple of years ago i stacked badly, knocking myself out. i was in the middle of a wood that no one walks in or rides. i now have a map at home with all my potential local routes on so if dont come back my wife can a least have an idea where i might be(i tell her roughly which route im taking). also i always carried my phone in my backpack but not much use there if injured so now have a pouch on the shoulder strap.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

I ride in the peaks alone since my mate went to Bali, i just dont push myself on anything but all this talk of accidents always puts doubts into your head. maybe all us billy no mates should get together, super fit racy types need not apply 🙂

The-Beard

I do a lot of solo riding nd it never really crossed my mind that it might be a bad idea until I was up in the Highlands in the summer and was riding across a mountain pass all on me tod. After riding for three or four hours I got to the highest point of the pass and was well and truly on my own. Suddenly the weather turned, cloud came down and the wind and rain picked up. Never felt so alone! Took it very easy on the descent and almost hugged the first person I saw once back in civilisation. Well, Glenelg. About as civilised as it gets up there. I do try and always make sure people know where I’m going and always carry my phone.

Though in the days before mobiles it was always a very long, and sometimes painful, walk to get help.

How did we manage back then?

mrsflash
    Free Member

I’ve never ridden my bike off road on my own, I’m a big wuss. I’ll happily go out on my road bike alone, but haven’t done on the mtb.

jonb
    Free Member

I used to ride on my own a lot, still do but less now. I am aware of the consequences of a bad crash on my own so I used to avoid crashing. Still rode downhill courses and dodgy “exloratory” trails though just with a lot more focus.

jimmy

I went out for a ride on my own a few years back. Perfect summer’s day, was feeling fit, all round feel good factor. Got to a favourite descent in Ashover and thought ‘just take it easy’ being on my own. Unfortunately the feel good factor increased with speed and I was motoring along before I knew it. Then hit a hidden rock going round a bumpy corner c.20 – 25mph, straight over the bars at pace, took a heavy fall and was thrown some way down the trail. I knew immediately I’d broken my collarbone (again) and was well dazed.

Luckily a mate was playing cricket in the next village and by chance he was one of two people who would have known where I was so he came a scooped me up off to hospital. If he hadn’t been around, there was no one else around who could have helped and I’d have been utterly screwed.

Have since ridden on my own plenty, but take it well easy… Most of the time….

coffeeking
    Free Member

TJ speaks sense, just tell people where you’re going, when you’re likely to be back and enjoy yourself. In this country very few places are remote enough for you to be properly without hope – usually there are walkers on most trails, but take a phone and in the odd case where you’re knocked out properly and dont come round your telling your home-time to a mate will do the rest. You cant negate all risk, but its stupid to let it rule your rides.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Can I have that framed coffeking? TJ makes sense shock horror!

until the last few years I always went out on my own. Never even gave it a thought.

Fraz
    Free Member

I couldn;t motivate myself to ride solo.

Running on my own is bad enough.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

but do you wear a helmet when out alone tj?
    that would make more sense…

and i don’t really ride any different.

don’t ride alone too much, but did things like glentress black (in the middle of the week… its dead!) blasting round it, and playing on some back tracks there/local riding just like a normally would with friends…

SaxonRider

I’ve had to ride alone a lot recently, both at night and during the day. I just make sure I don’t go beyond my own limits, carry a phone with me, and let others know where I’ll be.

Night riding alone can be a bit scary, though, but only due to an overactive imagination!

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I havent had any BAD experiences. Just experiences.

I always let my wife know where i am riding and when i should approx finish, this includes solo nightrides in the lakes. Only prob i ever had was riding helvelyn last year on a glorious summers day. On the descent back down to grizedale tarn i somehow took the walkers path down to the right (Havent got the name). I only realised i went wrong about 3/4 of the way down. It was the same great big steps as the correct path. Anyhow i worked out i could traverse across for 2mls to save me the hike back up. I must have been halucinating because that 2 mile included a 900ft drop into a cravass and then a 900ft hike back up in long grass. It took me over 2hrs to walk them 2 mls, then i had to complete the ride. I had given a pal my estimated finish time. I had to blast back to the car, then drive for a further 30mins to get phone coverage to call him. I was over 1hr past the time he should have been calling mountain rescue. I called him and asked if he had reported me. His reply was that he had forgotten about me, whoops!

coffeeking
    Free Member

His reply was that he had forgotten about me, whoops!

Not quite so funny when it does go wrong and you dont come back, trust me!

domino

On the few occasions I have ridden alone, I haven’t fallen off – I usually fall of when I am not on my own. I must be more cautious. Domino – sitting with a bruised knee from landing on the ice today.

donsimon
    Free Member

Generally go alone and don’t (often) think about accidents, but I do ride without taking too many risks. Then again I don’t do DH and am more of a XC whippet.

epicyclo

I nearly always ride on my own (in the Highlands). This had made me a conservative rider – I’ll walk technical stuff that I know I can ride, and take care on downhills. Also I dress for the mountain rather than the bike.

Garry_Lager –
    There was a guy on here recently talking about getting a flat in Torridon (v remote area in Scotland) and finding his pump was broke! Walked something like 15 miles back carrying the bike – It might have been before the site broke so I’m not sure if the thread is here anymore. Anyway, walking 1 mile in cycling shoes with the bike on the shoulder is a chore – 15 is heroic.

The Beard – Member
    I do a lot of solo riding nd it never really crossed my mind that it might be a bad idea until I was up in the Highlands in the summer and was riding across a mountain pass all on me tod. After riding for three or four hours I got to the highest point of the pass and was well and truly on my own. Suddenly the weather turned, cloud came down and the wind and rain picked up. Never felt so alone! Took it very easy on the descent and almost hugged the first person I saw once back in civilisation.

I think most people who regularly ride solo tend to be conservative. If you usually ride in established trail centres or close to civilisation, then it’s important to remember that the mountain can and will kill you, especially if you take risks.

I always ride in lightweight walking boots in case I have to walk out and carry sufficient gear so I can survive exposure for at least 24 hours.

As for those who say you shouldn’t go alone – there is nothing to beat the feeling of being on your own in a remote mountain pass, just treat the mountain with respect, and you should survive.

MartynS

I ride on my own a bit as well. Always tell someone where you are going and when you reckon you’ll be back. I always have my (fully charged) phone with me, and a GPS.
    Certainly take it a bit easier when its just me.
    I have to confess I was out round Hayfield today and how I kept it rubber side down I’ll never know. I cut the ride a bit short because I just had a feeling I was pushing my luck a bit!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I do ride a fair bit on my own. Bust a rib about 25 miles from home, once, and had to ride back. that was quite tough. But only in epping, so there’s always help not far away.

ononeorange

Thought I was going to get stuck out in the cold and dark today. Had a superb South Downs Way ride in the ice, but got a little carried away and turned round with minimal time to get back to the car before dark – no lights, no map, made all the usual schoolboy errors. Didn’t fancy being stuck up there in the dark and for a while didn’t see any habitation. And does the sun go down quickly! Just made it, but I think that’s smartened me up a bit.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m hoping to do some solo highland rides soon, really looking forward to it. I just need to find/plan some routes!

allyharp

Even on local rides I quite often find myself in places where getting knocked out cold could easily result in lying there for a very long time. Just last week I was exploring (aka lost) in some boggy parts of Lennox Forest far off the proper paths where I don’t expect many people go.

coffeeking
    Free Member

ally – any chance I can join you sometime if youre talking about the forrest near lennoxtown?

carlos
    Free Member

Been riding quite a bit of solo since my riding buddy gave it up and sold his ride. The brother in law comes out now and again, but still ride a lot on my own. I quite like it, but what I do miss is the comaradery (sp)having a laugh and a great day out with a like minded person and knowing that if you push a little to much there is someone who’ll scoop you up and sort things out.

Not had a solo disaster yet (touches wood)and don’t want one, so Yes I too take things a little easier when on my own.

@ – MartynS and stonemonkey

If you ever fancy a bit of company let me know, cpupton@aol.com

Carl

Shack
    Free Member

Nearly always ride on my own. Have had a few minor challenges I wasnt expecting and one major disaster. Coming down the Blea Tarn road into Little Langdale hit a car head on at the bottom cattle grid, bike snapped in half and I snapped in several places. Helicoptered out. Really lucky, no lasting damage. Now a much more cautious rider.

allyharp

ally – any chance I can join you sometime if youre talking about the forrest near lennoxtown?

Yes definitely, but if you’re hoping to discover some routes in the forest I don’t know any!

I remember planning to come out for the STW Glasgow ride a few months back but went back to bed instead of getting up for the early start, still regretting that now!

I’ve only been up to Lennox Forest a couple of times and only went last week since part of the West Highland Way is a closed for logging. And guess what – they’re doing the same at Lennox Forest so I couldn’t even get through to the Lennoxtown side!

alp_girl
    Free Member

I often go out on the mountain bike by myself and have done so ever since I got into it 5 years ago – strangely enough, falling off and injuring myself somewhere “out there” has never even occurred to me!

Might sound strange, but the only things that sometimes worry me are that there could be some “weirdo” out there who attacks me (I know, I know, I read too much scary fiction) or having to ride through/right past remote farm houses that might have free running guard dogs (I’m absolutely petrified of dogs)…

coffeeking
    Free Member

I was up at lennox forest at the weekend, spotted all the logging and they’ve clearly purposefully destroyed some of the trails/features despite not actually logging at those points, but I did find some other scary looking stuff hidden in there (I went on foot as a trail finding mission!). Some serious looking boardwalk with BIG gaps. Wish I had the balls to ride it!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘solo ride disasters’ is closed to new replies.