Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Solo night ride round Drumlanrig – A humbling experience.
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Beautiful night for it last night, zero degC, misty and with a near full moon. My riding buddy never made it back from Darn sarf in time, and I was looking forward too it too much to pull out.

Even though I’ve ridden Drumlanrig many, many times, the rooty squirmyness always catches me cold on the first descent, especially after the bermed, sculpted, super fast flow of Laggan red route the previous weekend. After about 15 minutes, I’m considering bailing out, a combination of the thought of hurting myself coming off one of the squillions of off-camber roots on every corner (and subsequently being on my own with no phone reception), and craning my neck round at every wee sound a forest produces in the pitch-black winter silence!.

I eventually gave myself a slap, and carried on to finish the red, although I did miss the bomb hole and wee steep rooty descent soon after, my fave bits at this place. Came out the forest onto the fire road just before Rik’s pump track and witnessed a lovely moon and star lit temperature inversion in the valley below. turned my light off or ten minutes and just enjoyed, one of those strange nights that didn’t feel cold, despite the low temperature.

Lovely. Highly recommended. :mrgreen:

simonralli2
    Free Member

Wow – brilliant. I don’t think I would do a night ride there at this time of year due to the cold, so well done for doing it. I can do the down part of the bomb hole but I think I am always so relieved to get down to the bottom I never have the wits to try and get back up the other side! And I can only make it half way down that rooty descent even in the day time as there are some roots mid way down that can really get you.

Woody
    Free Member

Sounds great. Solo night rides focus and clear the mind quite wonderfully 😉

hitman
    Free Member

sounds great – any pics?

JB
    Free Member

I quite enjoy the occasional nighttime solo in the forest, but find ipod essential to keep the Demons at bay! 😯

sockpuppet

nothing like drumlanrig, just a pootle round local trails last night, but still had a fantastic time – there was fog forming in the dips, stars overhead, and a lovely moon out.

i love night riding.

miles davis on the ipod helped too…

bigjim

I didn’t realise you could ride there at night, I assumed that once the wee lady on the gate goes home its all shut off.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

good story

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I stopped solo riding in the dark round my local park after the council filled it with sculptures, the last time, I’ve never ridden so bloody fast. I considered complaining, but couldn’t quite get the wording how I wanted it to sound in the letter.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I used to night ride on my own near Rosslyn Chapel but then started to imagine owls were maybe ghosts so haven’t been back there on my own. Love night riding on my own normally though, a sense of peace and isolation that is hard to get otherwise.

supertacky
    Free Member

Inspiring stuff. Dont think I’m ready for a solo just yet though.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Go for it, pick a route you know well that’s not too tricky and tell someone where you are going.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Inspiring stuff. Dont think I’m ready for a solo just yet though.

Thanks for that, don’t recall ever being referred to as ‘inspiring’!

DrRSwank
    Free Member

It’s made me want to go riding again at night! I have truly missed night riding.

I remember my first night ride. I took my lights out to the furthest part of the woods at dusk. Sat in a favourite place waiting for it to get proper dark. And then spent the next hour falling off or papping myself at every noise I heard – LOL!!!

BUT – and very OT – I love that carved witch. I wish I knew where to get one of those for my garden.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Slight thread hi jack, on the Drumlanrig website it says open from 11-4. Does this mean you can’t park there before 11am? Don’t want to wait ’til 11am at this time of year.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

A solo night ride round Innerleithen is a truly great experience. Only bettered by taking no lights upto the top to watch the sunset and needing to GLF to get back down in time.

martymac

i used to “do” hamsterley at night, i lived 14 miles away, so it was 3 sets of batteries for the lights, 2 low capacity sets for the ride up/back, and a high capacity set for the fun bit in the forest.
    i saw the halebopp comet one time i was there, the tail was amazingly long compared to what could be seen in a town.
    happy days.
    i used a vistalite with a 2w halogen bulb, it was enough when your eyes adjust to the dark.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t know if I’d have the ‘testicular fortitude’ to do Inners in the dark!.

banginon

The trails at Drumlanrig are always open, as are the bike wash (closed for repairs right now) and showers.

Park up, if you’re there before the kiosk person pay when you get back. There is only a charge at the weekend at the moment so get down, ride and enjoy.

The bike shop and cafe are open Fri Sat Sun and an occasional Monday if there’s enough stuff in the workshop to keep us busy..

Please pop into the shop for a blether even if you don’t need to buy anything, it get’s pretty quiet at this time of the year.. It’s always good for us to get feedback on the trails and just to find out who’d about.

It can get pretty spooky out on your own after dark, especially when the ‘eyes’ start appearing ‘scooby doo’ style; and the ‘shriek’ owls give it a loud one…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Solo night ride round Drumlanrig – A humbling experience.’ is closed to new replies.