Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • reliable brakes
  • big-chief-96
    Free Member

im looking for powerful brakes that can last on long days out either in the dales or lakes on some of the many stw rides or when im in and about places like Gisburn on the dh tracks. Hopefully they are not to hard to bleed as im not the best mechanic

any recomendations?

cheers

olie
    Free Member

XT or Saint

Jamie
    Free Member
    igm

Juicy 3s fit the description for £90-100 per bike. There are more expensive brakes, but if you just want to play in this country, I reckon their all you need. Stick a big disc on the front if you're doing lots of DH (remembering that that Mr Peat seemed to get away with 160F, 140R on a Juicy Elixir mix).

Spend what you save on a couple of different sized discs and mounts and a few sets of spare pads.

I await the disagreement.

gamo
    Free Member

Magura Louise.

Drac

Avid Juicys, I have 2 pairs and both have been extremely reliable and have lasted weeks not long days. 😀

PeteG55
    Free Member

Shimano deore. I've got a set of 2004 vintage ones. I've changed the fluid once and changed the hoses when I changed the frame. I've changed the discs for different sizes, but they've been faultless! I've been running them with 203mm discs for DH and 160mm for XC.

glenp
    Free Member

Like all things cycling, you need a pretty good reason not to buy Shimano (imo). My XTs are knocking on five years old, the back one has been bled, but only because I accidentally pushed the pistons all the way out when I had the pads out, and the front is completely untouched apart from pad replacement. Pads last a good long time (I now use SS Sintered) and the feel and performance are excellent.

neil853
    Free Member

i bought some '09 4 pot saints for exactly the same requirements you've got. if your not bothered about weight (compared to less extreme brakes) then you will not be dissappointed! truely spectacular brakes.

bananahead
    Free Member

Magura Louise or the new Marta. UK shocking weather tested. Brilliant brakes in all circumstances! IMHO 8) Probably no great deals on them though… As in Avid or loads of other bike bits and brakes that fell of the back of a bike company. 🙁 Check T'interweb tho!

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Easy. XT all the way. I have 2 sets. No issues here! 😆

Olly
    Free Member

my hayes 9s (2 pairs of) never need attention.
    also never overheat.

shimano are nicer to work with when they DO need doing, as they use mineral oil, not liquid badaids DOT

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hope are easy to maintain – bleeding is very straightforward and IME they are very reliable and the pads last better than other brakes.

Shimano are great value for money but can be trickier to maintain and spares can be impossible to obtain.

Hopes for the long life and ease of maintanence, shimano for great value for money but throw them away when they need repair

glenp
    Free Member

When they need repair – which is never!

Plus you can change Shimano pads from the top of the bike with the wheels in.

hp_source

I had a set of hayes 9's on a 2004 kona from new until early last year, only ever changed the pads, had LOTS of big days out on them and had no issues. Far from the nicest looking but adequate power and cheap as chips really.

got Avid's on the current bikes (5's + 3's) and they've been fine so far too, bit squidy on the 5's but I think they need new seals.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Plus you can change Shimano pads from the top of the bike with the wheels in.

Same as my Hopes then 🙄

I've seen Shimano brakes fail – last year at Nant-Y-Arain my mates master cylinder seal went & sprayed oil back over the grip he was trying to hold on to!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

they are very reliable and the pads last better than other brakes.

Only because they don't stop you very well, then boil.

Reliability? Shimano or Magura. Shimano maginally easier to fit and fettle, Magura more powerful.

coogan
    Free Member

Shimano or Avid. I just don't trust Hopes. Must be a reason for all those spares being available 8)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have hopes on 4 bikes and all work perfectly well over thousands of miles of usage and with plenty of power. single finger wheel locking on 160 mm discs

steve_b77
    Free Member

If you've got the cash go for the XT's. I've just fitted SLX after a similar debate and they're bloody brilliant

joolsburger
    Free Member

Avid brakes are much maligned. I've run juicy sevens for a year and a half, single finger braking with 16.5 stone of me on board no problems and just a couple of pad changes.

I was really dubious of buying them but they have been fantastic.

I had Hopes before and I have to say these are better.

On the other hand I have never heard a bad word about Maguras.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I have a 3 year old pair of M760 Shimano XTs and all I`v ever done is replaced the pads.

The original sintered pads lasted forever too.

chakaping
    Free Member

New XT and SLX both been super-reliable for me.

Very powerful and good modulation too. Not a lot to choose between them really.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I have hopes on 4 bikes and all work perfectly well over thousands of miles of usage and with plenty of power. single finger wheel locking on 160 mm discs

I had one set of Hopes which I thought were fine until they chucked me into a ditch in Wales after they boiled. I have a scar on my leg from that one. And then boiled again in Bristol, on the road.
    I then tried Maguras and realised the Hopes were actually sh1t. The Maguras use 3 times as many pads, but have never given so much as a grumble in service in 4 years now, and they don't need the constant fettling to keep them at their best. I've cleaned them out twice since 2006 and they still work like new.
    We've had 2 sets of XTs as well, which have been similarly pain free, but not quite as powerful.
    I'll not touch Hope brakes again myself, although I believe the newer ones are a lot better.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I've also got a set of older Deore M525's on my HT and they're brilliant, on slightly stuck piston after a winter of constant mud abuse – sorted with some mineral oil, WD40 and a screwdriver 😀

stevomcd
    Free Member

From the last 2 seasons of Alpine guiding experience:

Reliable:
    Hayes, Shimano, Formula.

Jury's out:
    Hope

Total bobbins:
    Avid

pypdjl
    Free Member

had one set of Hopes

Nice statistically valid sample there.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘reliable brakes’ is closed to new replies.