Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Sold a bike ,the buyer now wants full refund amonth later.??
  • stanfree
    Free Member

My son bought a cheap giant full suss bike which he changed a few bits on , It had front and back old fox forks and shock. The bike wwas no beauty but we paid a bike shop to give it a wee service before he sold it onto a friend for £200.
    A month later the mother is phoning me ranting and raving and wanting a full refund as its been in the bike shop twice and had punctures. She claims its only been ridden 5 times and was a heap.
    I’ve offered to get the bike serviced again at my own expense and even offered to lend her son a wee jump bike whilst its getting done. Shes adamant that she wants the full refund . What to do .??

scotroutes

Tell her to jog on.

iainc

How much does your son value the friendship ?

jam-bo

Or just refund to shut her up and sell it to someone else.

benpinnick

Give her the money back, sell it again, blank her when in the street. It’s not worth the grief.

sweepy
    Free Member

If its in similar condition to when sold I’d give her the refund probably, then sell it to someone who wasn’t expecting a brand new super tough DH bike for BSO money.

EDIT: ^^^ I could have saved myself the typing there

fossy

Punctures are your problem then ?

Some weirdo’s out there.

jekkyl

It’s had punctures, it’s clearly a shit bike. You’re lucky she’s not phoning the police.

km79
    Free Member

What to do .??

Answer would depend on the age of your son. 11 or 12 do as above. 26 piss yourself laughing.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

In the bike shop twice?
    Was that to fix the punctures or to fix the bike?

If it was punctures (or even v basic tweaks) maybe explain to her all types of bike get punctures and then offer to teach her son (and yours, so he is not the only one) how to fix a puncture (and maybe basic bike care, clean lube, M check type thing)

joebristol

Depends what the issues are. If just punctures then it’s not your problem. Technically it’s a second hand bike and it’s sold as seen in my mind.

Ifsomething catastrophic has gone wrong and it’s a good friend that makes it more tricky.

taxi25
    Free Member

Providing the bike was in good working fashion when sold I wouldn’t refund the money. By doing so you’d only empower the woman and give her encouragement to continue acting in an unreasonable fashion.

stanfree
    Free Member

First repair was a broken mech hanger , second was a gear issue. After numerous texts between her son and mine she has agreed to give me back the bike to get fixed and ill give her my sons wee jump bike for his pal to use. Hopefully after the bike is fixed she punts it on or moves away from the area. 😉

RobHilton
    Free Member

Providing the bike was in good working fashion when sold I wouldn’t refund the money. By doing so you’d only empower the woman and give her encouragement to continue acting in an unreasonable fashion

Very much this. Metaphorical slat-hoofage.

vinnyeh

No way would I be lending another bike or paying for a service.
    What bike, out of interest?

sweepy
    Free Member

Ten to one he shags the jump bike too 🙂

stanfree
    Free Member

Its an old Giant Ac2 , big lump of a bike . Worked fine though.

sweepy
    Free Member

And when he shags the jump bike it won’t be him at fault, you will be a serial crap bike selling swindler.
    Cheapest and easiest way to get rid of her is to refund and let her pester some other mug.

Robz
    Free Member

As with all second hand stuff… Sold. As. Seen

Tell her to jog on.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    Tell her to jog on take a flying **** to herself

bruneep

so what are you fixing,if its been in the shop?

You leaving yourself wide open to maintaining this bike for life now. I’d tell her it was sold as seen a month ago.

legend
    Free Member

stanfree – Member
    Its an old Giant Ac2 , big lump of a bike . Worked fine though

I thought they’d all cracked by 2002!

niksnr
    Free Member

If it was in good condition when sold then went in for new mech hanger and gear problems it sounds like he’s either crashed it or taken a nasty rock strike. It does seem as though you’re not getting the whole story based on your account.

rOcKeTdOg

Jump bike is on gumtree or shpock by now

zanelad
    Free Member

Tell her if she expected a warranty she should’ve bought a new bike.

seosamh77
    Free Member

tell her you’ll buy it back for £100.

cloudnine
    Free Member

The only possible way out of this predicament is to kill her and dump the body in a canal.

wallop

Is it fifteen years old?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Surly you got them to confirm it all worked when they bought it?

And it’s sounds like the lad has damaged the rear mech hence why the gears are not working !

Was the mech broken when sold? If not politely point out the error of her accusations and tell her to do one

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Is your boys friend his mothers son? If so it may be worth telling them both to seek alternative company, to use the parlance of our times.

And yes, if you repair it this time because she’s given it the big one then you’ll have a job for life.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Is she fit?

DickBarton

New cables fitted at the service you got it? If so, second time would have been cable stretch most likely…

thedude
    Free Member

I know people like you and they always get taken advantage of. Some people have no shame and others will snap themselves in half trying to please. I agree it’s not worth it for a £200 bike, so refund.

Bez

Jeez, you’re not John Lewis, there’s still plenty of retailers who don’t have a 30 day refund policy let alone a “courtesy bike” service. Bent hanger, “a gear issue” and punctures all just sound like her son’s treating it like crap.

bencooper
    Free Member

First repair was a broken mech hanger , second was a gear issue.

Ah, the classic symptoms of a child dropping the bike when they get off.

ontor
    Free Member

That is service above and beyond by a long way. Got any other bikes for sale?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

He’s not nicknamed Del Boy for nothing. For those suggesting or thinking, hoof her in the slats, that would be considered foreplay where he lives. You should send Winston round with his adventure bike slideshow. Bore her into submission.

dannyh
    Free Member

Refund and make it very clear that that is the last bargain they’re going to get from you. Don’t involve your kid or hers, if she wants to lower it by saying something to her kid, then let her.

She’s probably sat around all day in her dressing gown trying to work out how to screw every penny out of other people without getting off her tracksuit bottom attired arse and getting a job.

smell_it
    Free Member

Sounds like she is more than happy to excercise her inner chav. I would just refund to get her out of my life. You could well be ‘right’ about everything, but it won’t stop a tosser like her from potentially bringing hassle to your door. Depends how much you need that £200?

Alternatively, if she has a husband/ partner then go round and slap him for running a loose house. Or if she is single, find the ex and slap him around for being a quitter.

seosamh77
    Free Member

This thread has taken a vicious slant…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Sold a bike ,the buyer now wants full refund amonth later.??’ is closed to new replies.