Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Solaris vs Superfly Elite Al
  • beargotsoul

I’ve been set on changing my Soul to a Solaris but seen the Superfly and this looks better value for money. Anyone ridden one / got one or ridden both as a comparison?
    My head says Superfly, heart says Solaris, help doing my head in!

Clink

Aren’t they different types of bikes? Superfly (even in alu version I presume you are looking at?) is fast xc bike, Solaris is more xc/trail and will take a longer fork? What type of riding do you do?

boxelder

I tested a superfly – it was fast, but skittish. I didn’t take to it at all. Felt light, stiff and direct, but too ‘clinical’ if that makes any sense. Prefer my scandal 29. The superfly had hard, narrow tyres though. For trail riding and not racing, I’d go for the Solaris.

beargotsoul

Mainly natural trails around Mendips, Exmoor occasionally Leigh Woods Ashton Court. I’ve a Stereo for big days out in Wales etc. Just want something that allows me to get out for quick rides plus makes the ride to trails easier,around 5 road miles when I have more time.

dragon
    Free Member

As the Cotic pretty much rips off the geometry of the Superfly, so get the Superfly if it’s better value.

I haven’t ridden the Superfly but have Trek X-Cal and it’s epic. Fast, comfy, and easy to ride IMO.

boxelder

I’ve a Stereo for big days out in Wales etc

Ah well – superfly (or Scandal!) with some 2″+ tyres

Clink

As the Cotic pretty much rips off the geometry of the Superfly, so get the Superfly if it’s better value.

er..no it doesn’t? They are similar I grant you, but Superfly is degree slacker ha (with 100mm forks) and longer chainstays – it also is designed around longer offset forks (the G2 geo stuff?).

dragon
    Free Member

If you can tell the difference between bikes with 0.5cm different chainstay length and 0.4deg head angle then good luck to you.

Clink

If you can tell the difference between bikes with 0.5cm different chainstay length and 0.4deg head angle then good luck to you.

Fair enough – but unfair to say it rips off the geo. I have noticed a difference climbing (ss) with chainstays of different lengths. Anyway for trail use I’d (personally) go for the Solaris.

shortcut

I would throw a Santa Cruz Highball into the mix with SS ability lighter weight and an extra set of bottle bosses compared to the Solaris. Also worth looking at the Kinesis FF29.

z1ppy

dragon – Member
    If you can tell the difference between bikes with 0.5cm different chainstay length

My bike has adjustable dropouts (5mm options between 425-445mm), and you can definitely feel the difference moving between them, and I’m far from a riding god. That’s kinda why we have short chainstay and not all run mega longs ones afterall 🙄

Clink

The Highball intrigues me – the top-tubes seem short for the standover. I would be interested in anyone my height (5’10”) and their experiences on medium or large frames? There was talk of a ss version of the FF29 but it seems to be on hold.

drapper
    Free Member

I’m gonna recommend the FF29 as another option man – beautiful balanced bike and lighter than both of the two you mentioned… also can go race or trail mode – wide bar, short stem and 100mm /120mm fork you decide! I decided on a FF29 over a Solaris and happy I did.

However, try both best way to decide for yourself… there are demo FF29s in some outlets and a full build for 1,500 pound is fantastic.

beargotsoul

Thanks for all the responses guys. My only worry is the Fly will be to harsh, all my hardtails have been steel. I’ll be honest the FF29 doesn’t do it for me even thou reviews are good. Part of it has to liking the looks, that is why the Fly caught my eye, it does look nice bike.

dragon
    Free Member

I don’t find my Trek X-Cal harsh, and have happily done 30+ miles in a day on it offroad. However, I don’t really buy into frame harshness anyway when it’s got front shocks and big fat tyres on.

Worth noting that the Trek has a 27.2mm seatpost compared to the Cotics 31.6mm. So it’s quite possible the Trek will feel less harsh than the Cotic due to more seatpost flex. However, the Trek is more limited if you want to run a dropper post.

scottalej
    Free Member

I agree with Dragon.

I’d go for the Trek as well, even a cheaper version. I also found that the geometry with the same forks, tube lengths, etc, is virtually identical. I had a 2010 Paragon and ran it with a 120mm fork, wide bars and short stem. Brilliant fun. It was only the typically harsh aluminium ride that persuaded me to buy a Cotic Solaris. Having said that the Solaris is not as absorbent over bumps as my 2008 Soul so I run a shim and the carbon seatpost I used in the Paragon. The main difference I found is that when charging downhill over rough ground the Solaris doesn’t kick around like the Paragon did. The Solaris is nearly a pound heavier though!

beargotsoul

Hopefully will get a demo on a Solaris on Friday and car park test of Fly tomorrow. Should make my mindup by the weekend.

beargotsoul

Hopefully will get a demo on a Solaris on Friday and car park test of Fly tomorrow. Should make my mindup by the weekend.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Solaris vs Superfly Elite Al’ is closed to new replies.