Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Solaris or Bfe ?
  • The-Duke

Ive had a trek fuel over 3 years now and thinking about a change back to a hardtail. Trying to decide between the 2, solaris would require a complete build while the bfe would be a frame only using the parts from the trek. Before anyone suggests the soul I’ve got a reverb so has to be solaris of bfe. Obviously the bfe is the cheaper option but would I regret not going for the solaris. Anyone ridden both and have an opinion?
    Cheers .

takisawa2

Solaris.

james
    Free Member

Trek fuel or fuel EX?
    Trying to work out what length forks you have to go in the BFe

So 26″ wheel or 29″ wheel then? But Cotic only?

Have you ridden (m)any 29″ wheeled bikes?
    Maybe need to try a few, and a few steel hardtails too?
    Are cotic still doing demo days, albeit in derbyshire?

jambalaya
    Free Member

What sort of riding ?

I got a BFe a few months back as my do it all bike, it’s been fantastic, it’s done long rides, short rides, xc, steep and techy. It rides smoothly, not harsh at all, and is loads of fun to chuck about. I have 150/120 adjustable forks for max flexibility. Since I got the bike I’ve not ridden my 160mm FS.

If you want a fun chuckable bike then the BFe perhaps spending some money on new adjustable forks – you cannot go wrong.

So I’ve not ridden any 29er and to be honest feel no need to.

The-Duke

Trek fuel ex8, set up 1×10 gearing, sektor fork set at 130 but could go to 150mm, or get them converted to dual position. Thinking that the bfe would make a great bike for shorter rides and maybe get a short travel fs 29er like an anthem when funds allow for longer rides.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Duke, I got my BFe for longer rides (for me that’s 50k plus, 3-5 hours) and its comfortable on such rides but still fun on descents and jumps.

jet26
    Free Member

Solaris is a great long distance mile muncher and fast. Went from a fuel ex and solaris seems just as fast if not faster…

The-Duke

Just ordered a Bfe in green from cycle world in Arbroath, cant wait to get it built up 😀

Rockape
    Free Member

Don’t know about Solaris but agree all the way with jambalaya. I have a BFe as a do it all bike and it’s fab I do Dales Lakes and some trails centres.

oxym0r0n

New Soul will take your Reverb!

PS> Loved my Solaris today riding for 5 hours on Exmoor – handled rocky drops where friends on 26″ were almost endoing but munched the miles as well…

The-Duke

But you cant get the soul in green !

Vortexracing

But you cant get the soul in green

True, but they come in Orange

P1040580 by eastham_david, on Flickr

metalheart
    Free Member

Ooo, nice Vortex, I like that a lot!

Sorry Duke, please carry on…

The-Duke

Have to agree that orange soul looks fab, but i really like the green and the bfe is £170 cheaper

Vortexracing

but i really like the green and the bfe is £170 cheaper

True, but it is a full 1lbs heavier.

I went for the Soul again rather than the BFe, because the last 2 have been great, My riding really does not require a BFe. (I have had one of those as well)

If the Soul would have been in green I would have had that rather than Orange.

oxym0r0n

Blue is nice too…

Untitled by oxym0r0n, on Flickr

The-Duke

I must agree that the soul would suit my riding style more but i’ll be using my gold hope hubs and bottom bracket and dont think they would go too well with orange

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Green soul you say? You could just buy one cheap second hand then get it whatever colour you like!

m_t_b
    Free Member

Are you choosing a bike based on frame colour 😯

The-Duke

Yeah isn’t that what everyone does? 😕

The-Duke

whereisthurso, that looks very similar to how mine should look like, only with gold hubs and a reverb seatpost. Is that dundee in the background?

whereisthurso
    Free Member

It is indeed Dundee. Not many souls in this neck of the woods and even fewer green ones!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Solaris or Bfe ?’ is closed to new replies.