Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Solar powered, movement sensor outdoor lights?
  • cakefest
    Free Member

Coming in our back gate in the dark is scary, with complete darkness and 4 steps down to our garden. It’s used by my inlaws as well who are in their 70s so it’s time to get some light on there.

No chances of putting electrics in there as it’s a long way from the house and power. So I’m thinking about movement sensor solar powered small lights to just light up the steps when someone comes in through the locking gate. Staying on for just about 20 secs.

Need something to drill into some fencing at our back steps.

Any thoughts?

cogglepin

My mate just got a solar powered light off Amazon for about 30 quid, he is really impressed with it.
    Loads on ebay as well.

csb

I have an Evo 36 Solar Security Light. Works well, but the water sealing in the light and sensor unit is crap so I’d suggest putting it under the eaves or constructing a cover.

After 2 years the solar panel also seems to be clouding so not sure how well it’s recharging.

paul4stones

Got one from Maplin. Works well but solar powered stuff can be a bit hit and miss at this time of year.

pacemaker
    Free Member

We have 2 from maplin, they were £25 each and have lasted 3 years upto now.
    They are not powerful enough as a full on floodlight, but to light up pathway etc, they are great.
    Just make sure you mount the solar panel with a decent south facing view to get the best from them.

We have one of each,

[/url]

muenchen1
    Free Member

I’ll second the vote on the Evo 36, had one on front of house the last 2 winters, does run out maybe 10 days a year when you get those grey days. admittedly panel faces SSE as any further south is blocked by our house so location could be optimised more. Also noted the clouding of the solar panel but no obvious performance drop.
    Also got one of these in October, http://www.thesolarcentre.co.uk/products/Curve_Solar_Motion_Light-681-56.html. Cheaper, not as bright but could buy a couple and as they are so small & light one can try them in lots of different locations. Note these lamps on Ebay too and assuming they are the same but cheaper!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Solar powered, movement sensor outdoor lights?’ is closed to new replies.