Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • So…I want to change my stem and bars….
  • burgatedicky

Apologies to all as I’m sure this has been done to death, BUT…

Currently riding a 17″ 2010 P7 with 140mm forks.
    I’m still running the stock 90mm stem with the standard Orange Supercross+ bars (680 width and 30mm rise)

I want to get the stem shorter and bars wider. Was thinking 70mm stem with some 711 bars, but would appreciate any thoughts from the STW collective.

Was going to go for an indestructible Thomson stem but does anyone have any recommendations on bar manufacturers?

Cheers in advance

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve the same bike on Pike forks 🙂

I’m running the Syncros bars I took off my Wolf Ridge on mine, partnered with an Outland D31Eight zero rise stem. It’s not the most bling cockpit out there but at 710mm width by 70mm it’s not only in your ballpark but is absolutely ideal for the bike. Dimensionally, the cockpit is perfect.

I’ve a Thompson stem on my Enduro and it’s very nice indeed, but there are stiffer and lighter out there for the money. My Wolf Ridge has a 65mm Straitline wedge stem which feels indestructible, but at 250g is a substantial piece of metal up front.

Your best bet is to try cheapie components first to get the sizing right and then gradually upgrade as you go. Sunline do some lovely looking stems BTW.

mboy
    Free Member

You won’t go wrong with a Thomson stem, though there are other equally strong options out there now, for less money, though not all of them are as easy on the eye.

As for bars, well there’s tonnes of choice. Personally I’ve tried loads of bars though, and rise and shape is very personal. I really like Sunline bars (which are cheap right now from a lot of places) and also Easton and Raceface for shape. I can recommend any of those, but the Sunlines are my favourite.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt_outandabout

I am about to stick a wider second hand bar on – to replace exactly that combo…I have 70mm Orange stem and 680mm bars, about to put a Sunline V1 bar on and see…

burgatedicky

matt_outandabout – Member
    I am about to stick a wider second hand bar on – to replace exactly that combo…I have 70mm Orange stem and 680mm bars, about to put a Sunline V1 bar on and see..

Keep me posted!

chiefgrooveguru

I’m liking the Renthal stem, very very stiff, surprisingly light. Mine’s a 50mm but I think they do a 70mm. Made in the UK too. I have Easton Haven Carbon bars – strong, stiff, light, nice shape, rather expensive…

ian martin
    Free Member

I bought a 70mm truvativ hussefelt cheap to try out different positions. I’ve ended up leaving it on as its very stiff looks hardcore and I can’t imagine me breaking it.
    Go cheap and strong then buy something fancy when you’ve got your setup dialed.

Gribs

Go wider. Sunline V one bars are nice and potentially cheap if you can still find them.

GeForceJunky

One One stem is light, cheap and looks and feels quality:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/STOOCNC/on_one_ultralight_cnc_stem

And bar wise I use Nukeproof Warhead 760s cut down to 740mm.

matt_outandabout

So the V1’s are only a wee bit wider than the Oranges – by sight. But you can feel the extra width.
    An extensive* testing session has suggested that they are wider and offer a different position. I am soooo used to Orange Supercross bars (been on them for over 10 years….) that the *slightly* different bend and rise of the V1’s feels wierd. Already rotated back once…
    *To the Co-Op in the village.

hugor
    Free Member

I recently went from 100 sten and 680 bars to 70 stem and 745 bars.
    I really liked the change and am now considering going to 60 or 50 stem

I’d go shorter than 70 if your coming from 90.
    Maybe try a cheaper stem before forking out on a thomson cause you may wanna experiment a little.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘So…I want to change my stem and bars….’ is closed to new replies.