Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • So…I found the rear legs of an adult deer…
  • DT78
    Free Member

…in the middle of the trail on today’s ride home. A small part of the spine attached. Most of the flesh removed, gorey and fresh. What the hell lives in an hampshire wood that can kill and munch a large deer?

No photos I’m afraid. I didn’t hang about.

(on the way up the hill from tanners brook to the workman trail in LW, if anyone else was riding there today)

cinnamon_girl

Any antlers? Roe or fallow?

Edit: road kill then polished off by a fox?

flip
    Free Member

Here there be tigers…

PJ266
    Free Member

Cooooooooooooool / Scary!

In Mid-wales was talking to a forestry ranger who has found quite a few sheep carcasses up in the canopy of trees 😯 and in South Wales a friend was walking his great dane when it heard something and shot off after it, came running back yelping, ran straight past him and all the way home.

I like big cat theories.

DT78
    Free Member

Back legs, light fawny colour with black hoof was all that was left. No roads anywhere near. Reckon from the size it was a young adult.

What the hell lives in an hampshire wood that can kill and munch a large deer?

A bandersnatch ?

geoffj

Wild Boar

muggomagic

Beware the moon and stick to the road!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I was riding there today 😯

DT78
    Free Member

🙂

Never seen or heard of wild boar in lordswood. I was only commenting to the missus the other day I’ve seen a lot less deer recently. Used to see at least one every ride there and I’ve been riding there for years. Then last week I spotted a young male (antlers just coming through), this week I spot what distinctly look like his rear legs…ugh…

Werewolf must be the most likely story.

Wibble89
    Free Member

I saw it this afternoon, I was doing the thing where you stare at the floor below your bike rather than where you are going and almost ran over it. Lots of swerving involved. Legs, hips and about 6 or 7 vertebrae.

cinnamon_girl

Possible road kill from the M27 and dragged by a fox? Also, how can you be sure there aren’t poachers around? Deer can certainly feed a few mouths.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

😯 They’ve been encouraging wolves breeding to reduce the need for the work in the culling season for Deer in the highlands what about down there?

Or it could have been a hungry Northerner, we like Venison 😉

tinribz
    Free Member

My money’s on a Black Dog.

Got a few shots off at one once working as a Keeper in Hamshire years ago. Reckon there are loads about probably have been for a long time but they’ve evolved to stay one step ahead, laying low and moving on.

They wouldn’t normally take down something so big, expect it was caught in a fence, seen a fair few deer hook their back leg in one. Any teeth marks on the bones?

DT78
    Free Member

I saw it this afternoon, I was doing the thing where you stare at the floor below your bike rather than where you are going and almost ran over it. Lots of swerving involved. Legs, hips and about 6 or 7 vertebrae.

Yep, exactly the same, as it was towards the top of the climb so wasn’t paying too much attention. Vaguely thought about heading back for a photo but it was too gruesome. Seriously weird.

Too far from the motorway I’d say, maybe poachers though never seen anyone looking like they were trying to poach there (would have thought the new forest would have better pickings)

molgrips
    Free Member

I also like cryptozooology. I do find it funny that people scoff and lump these ‘beasts’ in with UFOs and new agers. There’s nothing remotely impossible about big cats at large in the UK.

There was a beast of Ludlow a few years before I was riding there. The idea was met with scepticism until someone ran it over on the road, and took the body to an expert. Turned out to be a Lynx I think.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Even big cats have to eat. If anyone catches it and its a Tiger *long shot* can they bring it here I’ll adopt it I’m sure Jess *tiny moggy* won’t mind…

….do they eat Iams too?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bagpuss72 – Member

They’ve been encouraging wolves breeding to reduce the need for the work in the culling season for Deer in the highlands what about down there?

Are yo being serious? No wolves in the UK

donsimon
    Free Member

Hello!

jumping1 by simoncarter.es, on Flickr
    😉

bagpuss72
    Free Member

they have their own ‘trust’

Why do they have their own ‘trust’ then?

May be I read they ‘wanted’ to rather than ‘were’ and these are captive

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

A bandersnatch ?

Aye, and a Frumious one at that.

I reckon it might have bin CinnamonGirl getting a bit peckish. I’ve heard the Badgers of Berkshire live in terror of her… 😯

RustySpanner

SPoachers?

Loads of dodgy venison for sale round here if you know who to ask.
    Any tyre tracks or access for vehicles?

You might have interrupted them.

Edited: No one would belive me anyway.

yossarian
    Free Member

Either a large beaver or a herd of chimney slugs I reckon.

beej

they have their own ‘trust’

Why do they have their own ‘trust’ then?

May be I read they ‘wanted’ to rather than ‘were’ and these are captive

I’ve visited the wolf trust and been for a walk with the wolves. Fascinating stuff. It’s just down the road from me.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

That sounds amazing Beej. I’ve seen them captive at a wildlife sanctuary in Scotland can’t remember where it was it was when I was staying in Aviemore

downshep

Furry zip up boots? Tartan shopping trolley?

Must have been an old dear….

beej

bagpuss72 – I think I’ve been to the same place – or at least somewhere in Scotland that had a captive pack. They were howling to call back some little ones when we were there, eerie sound. I’d love to see them in the wild, but thy didn’t appear for us when we were in Yellowstone.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Beautiful animals. It was out of season when I was there and one of the staff let us go through to the side of the huge penned area and sit quietly and we saw a mum and her babies it was amazing!!

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Hmmm, if it were donkey remains you’d come across I’d point the finger at my mother in law. Maybe she has a younger relative who can only manage to talk the hind legs of a deer?

TheBrick
    Free Member

A bikepacker?

MrNutt
    Free Member

stick to the road, stay away from the moors.

anagallis_arvensis

lost lurcher or some such like would be my guess

uwe-r
    Free Member

Sorry

I think I dropped my lunch out of my bag, I’m also missing a banana and packet of hola hoops.

frogstomp

Chupacabra

KT1973
    Free Member

I reckon it’s bigfoot or possibly the Hendersons

dan1980
    Free Member

The Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog perhaps?

DezB
    Free Member

My money’s on a Black Dog.

Dammit, I thought everyone had forgotten about her. 😳

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe

Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I’d put my money on a large dog killing it, following by a good post mortem rummage by foxes and other scavengers.

A vivid childhood memory is my dad’s mate’s Great Dane (a daft thing, barely more than a puppy, but huge!) escaping from the back of the car, leaping over a dry stone wall at our place in Anglesey, haring across a field and ripping a full grown pregnant ewe to bits in about 30 seconds flat. It was truly horrible to watch.

toby1

Someone be training fighting dags …

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘So…I found the rear legs of an adult deer…’ is closed to new replies.