Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Software Help: Visualising an object from a point view. – 67m Windturbine
  • redthunder
    Free Member

Visualising an object from a point view.

Basically a company want to build a 67m wind turbine nearby and I want to know what it will look like from my house which is about 1km away.

Any thoughts.

scuzz
    Free Member

Google Earth with Google Sketchup – create a model windturbine in sketchup and import into Google Earth.

druidh
    Free Member

It’ll look like a 40m one located a bit closer

HTH

redthunder
    Free Member

@scuzz

Is it quite straight forward with sketchup ?

wwaswas

is 67m to the top of the blades or the top of the tower?

in terms of how high it’ll appear print out a wind turbine so that it’s 6.7cm tall and hold it 1m from your eye in the direction of the proposed turbine.

That’s how big it’ll appear when built.

redthunder
    Free Member

@wwaswas
    top of the blade.

This is the offender:
    http://developments.southglos.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=M01P3JOK7T000

“in terms of how high it’ll appear print out a wind turbine so that it’s 6.7cm tall and hold it 1m from your eye in the direction of the proposed turbine.

That’s how big it’ll appear when built. “

Thats cool of to draw a turbine.

wwaswas

the 6.7cm item a metre away still counts.

do that and then take a photo would be my slightly lowtech approach 🙂

[edit] your edit crossed my post

scuzz
    Free Member

Pretty straight forward – it’s all free software, plenty of tutorials online, just takes a little while longer than basic geometry!

redthunder
    Free Member

@scuzz

I’ll do that as well.

@wwaswas

Just done the sketch and tried it out the garden. I can see about all of the turbine from the hub upwards.

Thanks the info and help.

On another note, I’m fussed so much about the visual its the noise I’m worried about.

druidh
    Free Member

WHUMP!

WHUMP!

WHUMP!

WHUMP!

WHUMP!

ourmaninthenorth

On another note, I’m fussed so much about the visual its the noise I’m worried about.

One, and it won’t be that noticeable, unless you’re really near and down wind of it. Lots of them can be noisier.

The noise impact is a big issue on getting planning. Go and ask the local authority about it.

redthunder
    Free Member

WHUMP!

WHUMP!

WHUMP!

WHUMP!

WHUMP!

We’ll all have one next to us one day 🙁

Another issue is that in other countries, such as Holland, the noise generated by this type ofturbine is very intrusive to anyone living nearby. The developers in Britain state that the noise from these turbines will not be heard above other background noise.

However these claims have also been made at other developments where local residents now saythe noise is unbearable, in some cases to the point of abandoning their homes.

A past report (14th March 2006) from the prestigious French Académie Nationale De Médecine,Paris recommended that any construction of wind turbines of over 2.5MW capacity within 1.5km of homes should be suspended immediately pending further research into the ill-effects of noise on human health.

ahwiles
    Free Member

we’ve got a few at work.

the biggest is a 1MW jobby, not the biggest, but still fairly big when you’re standing next to it.

when it’s really windy, you can just about hear a quiet, muffled, whooshing noise.

(standing less than 100m away)

but when it’s that windy, everything makes a noise (trees, buildings, etc.)

(trees are noiser in my opinion/experience)

allthegear
    Free Member

They’re oing to build a waste incinerating power station near me – I’d be much happier with a wind turbine!!!

Rachel

bigjim

I take it you’ve looked at the visualisations already there in your link as part of the planning submission? And read the detailed noise assessment that is also there?

Its only a lickle one, I wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

redthunder
    Free Member

They’re oing to build a waste incinerating power station near me – I’d be much happier with a wind turbine!!!

Rachel

Were getting one of those also and one that burns palm oil.

You dont live on Severnside by any chance.

richmars

That’ll be Kings Lynn?
    Isn’t that still being argued over?

Harry_the_Spider

It will look AWESOME.

At 1km I doubt you will hear it.

We have 2 slightly smaller ones (I’d guess about 30-40m masts) about 800m from our house. You don’t know that they are there TBH.

Lucas
    Free Member

You can download google sketch up models that others have already made from google 3D warehouse. Get one of these, open in sketch up and make it the right size then put in Google Earth.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Software Help: Visualising an object from a point view. – 67m Windturbine’ is closed to new replies.