Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • softshell recommendations
  • UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Seems like all my riding this year is in mild drizzle or light rain, and a bit cooler than normal years. No outer layer is not enough to stop the chill, but full water proofs are overkill. So looking at getting something that stops the wind, and is water resistant, but considerably more breathable. Any recommendations….

a. under £100, and
    b. money no object.

Cheers,

rocketman
    Free Member

Instead of an actual softshell have a look at a poc trail jersey

Nylon & spandex sounds like a nightmare but it has a curious feel to it. Surprisingly effective against light rain and wind but still light and unobtrusive like a jersey

matt_outandabout

I loved my Montane Dyno for this.
    Not totally windproof. Not waterproof. But for 80% of the time it was ‘right’, and was a lovely cut and mega breathable.

I am saving for a new Dyno Stretch…

http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/montane-dyno-jacket/

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=montane+dyno&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

northshoreniall

Paramo fuera? Not ridden in mine much yet but unlike my other paramo gear not stupidly warm and good size pit zips.

Del

montane featherlight ( smock, not jacket ).
    haglofs boa.

softshell good for the other 3 seasons, too warm for down by yer though in summer ( devon ).

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Interesting, ta all. Not what I was expecting at all, definitely some food for thought.

jam-bo

decent gilet. arms out to keep you cool, keeps core dry.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

“decent gilet” – likely to spawn a thread “decent gilet recommendations”. Any suggestions?

jam-bo

i got one of those cheap gore path ones from amazon last month. impressed so far.

Kamakazie

Not got one myself but heard nothing but good things about the Rab Vapour-rise kit.
    The ‘lite’ version is supposed to be very good for cycling, though not sure how it compares to other softshells in terms of warmth. Supposed to be very breathable though!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Rab Sawtooth.

I’ve got one and I love it, although to be honest I haven’t actually used it for MTB!

benp1

How do the Dyno and Dyno stretch compare?

Big fan of my Rab VR Alpine lite but it’s still too warm to wear at this time of year

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Any other suggestions on this? Just sitting looking out the window at the rain thinking I really should order one soon.

footflaps

for mild rain I use a wind proof Gilets, thinner ones if it’s warm and Gore Windstopper type if it’s cool. When it’s warm and wet, I just accept I get damp but want something to keep the wind off, so a thin wind proof Gilet is it.

mudshark
    Free Member

I use a Gabba short sleeve top if think will be showers and add water proof arm warmers if likely to be colder or more rainy. I do have soft shells but too warm for this time of year but actually would be ok for today – my Aldi one is very good for £35.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘softshell recommendations’ is closed to new replies.