Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Soft road tourer? Advice please
  • 1-shed
    Free Member

Bought a Van Dessel WTF frame and want to make it up as a soft road tourer? My best way of describing what I think I’ll do. Gearing is one issue does 36-24 x 11-28 sound good? Do I really need bb7 or would cheaper brakes be ok? So far got Fulcrum red power wheels, Conti race king tyres. Plan to re-use rear mech 105 and 11-28 casette. Looking at Truativ AKA chain set or SLX 2×91 36-22 any opinions? Will this combo work with STI and a std 105 rear mech? Finally any real gain to funny drop bars? Thanks I advance to any advice 1shed.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What’s a soft tourer?

Road sti won’t work with mtb front mech.

1-shed
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, it looks like a new front mech is now on the shopping list. What is a soft road tourer? Well my best description of what I want a touring bike to take off road and avoid roads when possible, sorry if it sounds cr@p.

cp

My 10 speed 5600 105 stis work perfectly with a slx 9 speed front mech.

With a 36t max ring up front, you’ll find yourself very undergeared at times.

1-shed
    Free Member

I’m quite slow though! Before I buy I’ll try the front mechs I’ve got. Must admit on my CX bike I used the 36 t chainring more.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What set up cp?

I’d agree re 36…that’s a middle ring when I tour!

1-shed
    Free Member

Any more views?

cp

I’m running a Stronglight double 38-48t crankset, SLX 9 spd mech and 105 5600 sti’s.

mtb front mechs work in certain circumstances – like when you have the chainrings of a close enough size. I doubt it would work with a road triple for example as I don’t think there will be enough clearance on the cage. Maybe I was just lucky, but it works very very well.

(ignore gash frayed cable end!)

cp

1 shed – I’d seriously consider something like a 34-46/48 combo up front if you’re concerned. 34-28 will have you going up most stuff, even with feable legs 🙂

Stronglight chainsets are great, and from spa cycles you can mix and match ring sizes. square taper bb’s last forever and a day as well – for a cheap reliable work horse, you can’t beat them.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s109p45

remember as well that unless youre omparing with mtb 29ers, the same ring sizes on a 700c road wheel will give easier gearing than on a 26er mtb.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

not quite sure wha you mean by a ‘soft tourer’ ??
    Anyhow I use a 50-39-24 triple with an 11-34 9spd cassette on my tourer.
    Road front mech and mtb XT rear mech.
    Gives a very wide spread of gears and allows me to carry on pedalling up most of the steep hills even when fully (panniers front and rear) loaded.

TBH when riding on the road spend most of time on the 50 so would say that a 36 would be too small.

1-shed
    Free Member

Ok maybe rethink on the chainset and go for road compact.

ampthill

I think a loaded bike needs low gears. At least 1:1 but preferably lower

Certainly this bike needs a lower bottom gear than you mountain bike as that doesn’t carry a load

I’m a real spinner but I think the lack of high gears is much less of a risk than a lack of low gears

1-shed
    Free Member

Ok pics of drop bar 29ers needed please including gear ratios? Thanks

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Soft road tourer? Advice please’ is closed to new replies.