Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Socket set PSA
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

I just left em.

chewkw
    Free Member

How does Halfords’ range compare with those use by proper car mechanics?

footflaps

I just left em.

So I noticed. Personally they look a bit ‘shop display’ for my liking, so I’ll get them off at some point.

disben

Ok – quick question – for general bike work do I need 1/4 inch, 3/8 inch or a metric set…?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Wont really matter unless your a profesional car mechanic though will it ?

They are fine for me doing general car and bike work

trail_rat
    Free Member

Oh and the 3/8th set will be fine

Sockets them selves will be metric but the drive square is measured in inches

chewkw
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member

Wont really matter unless your a profesional car mechanic though will it ?

They are fine for me doing general car and bike work

I want to use them to service my car (2005 Toyota Corolla 1.6 auto) in the followings:

1. Brake pads.
    2. Brake disks.
    3. Coil spring change … to something stronger but not to lower.
    4. Oil change – engine, gear box, brake fluid etc.
    5. Oil Filter – that special tool with a loop.
    6. Installing strut brace and rear stabiliser.
    7. Air filter (mate told me to get K & N mushroom looking thing …).
    8. Pulley – may not do this as it might void my insurance.

For my bike I think I got most of the tools …

😮

p/s: anyone here use Black Diamond brake pads & discs for their cars? How good are they?

marcus7
    Free Member

Those “how it works” stickers are a pain to get off!, god knows why the put them on! 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well i used mine to take a pair of land rovers apart…… And slowely putting one back together

They will do all that .

Not sure why you are putting strutt braces and stiffer springs and k and n on an automatic bland mobil mine you though

chewkw
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member

Well i used mine to take a pair of land rovers apart…… And slowely putting one back together

They will do all that .

Okay … which tool set from the Halford range is better? It will be a long term use for me as I am trying to learn the mechanics of cars …

Not sure why you are putting strutt braces and stiffer springs and k and n on an automatic bland mobil mine you though

LOL … no reason to be frank. Just try to make the handling better with more grip on the road. Not into boy racer stuff but a few more hp increase here and there is fine with me, and the insurance company might have the last say … 😀

Cougar

Ok – quick question – for general bike work do I need 1/4 inch, 3/8 inch or a metric set…?

The ‘inch’ sizes refer to the drive side of the socket set, not the sockets themselves. So you’d need a metric set, but this will contain a 1/4″ (smaller) and / or 3/8″ ratchet driver for those sockets. If that makes sense.

Ie, on a given socket, there will be a metric hex at one end to fit your bolts, and a (something) inch square on the other end to fit your drivers.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Just put 4 good tires on , easier and will have more effect.

The one i linked to originally covers most bases, add a good 3 ft breaker bar, a strap wrench and a set of spring compressors should see you good

trail_rat
    Free Member

Anal 🙂

mark90
    Free Member

Not anal 😀

chewkw
    Free Member

trail_rat … OOoouuhhh … nice tools … 😆 😯

trail_rat – Member

Just put 4 good tires on , easier and will have more effect.

The one i linked to originally covers most bases, add a good 3 ft breaker bar, a strap wrench and a set of spring compressors should see you good

Tyres are still fine so will start tinkering with other part of the car.

Okay … good advice that.

How about torque wrench? The manual says I need to use torque wrench to tighten things properly especially the gearbox oil plug …

mark90 – Not anal

I bet I will end up the same as I don’t really have that much space.

mark90
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with a few stickers either….

😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

Blue tape imperial then 😉

I have the strap on sticker on mine too 🙂

mark90
    Free Member

Aye. My one consession to organisation 🙂

mark90
    Free Member

If I mention your wratchet spanners aren’t all the same way round would you have to go line then up? 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

Only thing i use a torque wrench for is cylinder heads- borrowed it an all.

Dont know your back ground but ive been using my hands in a mechanics/engineering roll all my adult life so used to it. If your learning its probably a wise investment , my hands were calibrated in the 90s on alu weight saving bike parts 😉

That was corrected after the first time i posted that 😉

mark90
    Free Member

Good man. OCD all or nothing, no half way house 🙂

somafunk

Coil spring change … to something stronger but not to lower.
    Installing strut brace and rear stabiliser.
    Air filter (mate told me to get K & N mushroom looking thing …).
    Pulley – may not do this as it might void my insurance.

On a Toyota 1.6 auto?, trolling? – genuine q btw i’m not being arsid?.

Stronger springs?, by this i mean you don’t like the cars body roll and bouncy ride? – waste of time on a 1.6 auto imho

Strut Brace/rear stabiliser?, strut brace will do absolutely **** all on a modern car, likewise the uprated rear anti-roll bar (you prob have one fitted anyway), however if you do manage to fit an uprated rear anti roll bar such as an eibach item it will seriously disrupt the effect of the rear suspension to the detriment of the cars road handling.

K & N Air mushroom (induction?) air filter, this will take hot air from around the engine bay and thus decrease your cars power, however you will notice an increase in induction roar which will have all the schoolgirls pointing at you in pity.

Pulley – I seriously doubt you have a supercharger fitted 🙄

A torque wrench is handy but i doubt your working in a motorsport application so i’d not bother with one for the car, i use mine quite often but the wheels/suspension/steering/engine components i fiddle with need it.

Your friend sounds like he’s the sort to do a drive through in halfords, just enjoy your 1.6 auto for what it is, cheap-economical transport that is bought and paid for.

RobHilton
    Free Member

If I mention your wratchet spanners aren’t all the same way round would you have to go line then up?

This is actually bothering me quite a lot – please post an after picture 😕

Now, mark90, it’s spelled “ratchet”

mark90
    Free Member

Meh, spelling never was my strong point. Never mind, I’m not anal 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member

Only thing i use a torque wrench for is cylinder heads- borrowed it an all.

Dont know your back ground but ive been using my hands in a mechanics/engineering roll all my adult life so used to it. If your learning its probably a wise investment , my hands were calibrated in the 90s on alu weight saving bike parts

I think I better invest in one just in case.

My background is not in mechanics/engineering but rather some fairy role of being pen pusher. However, my father is an aircraft engineer and a very good one. One of my boy racer mate is also very good at messing with engines/cars etc … he is in the process of building a rotary engine quarter mile racer using 1977 Mazda coupe chassis. It will be ready next summer in the far east. He was going to advise me on things car related but somehow he got a bit fed up with my hair dresser’s car. 😆

But I built my own bikes and computer … if that counts.

:mrgreen:

footflaps

What impressed me was how much space it saved. All these are for the scrap heap.

Redundant by brf, on Flickr

Tools are much more accessible in the drawers:

Stuff by brf, on Flickr

chewkw
    Free Member

somafunk – Member

On a Toyota 1.6 auto?, trolling? – genuine q btw i’m not being arsid?.

No. Not trolling. Seriously yes I thought a bit of tweak here and there … you know … wanting to make it even better.

This is the first proper car in my life. It’s a Toyota which I wanted for a while. The last one I had was a 660CC toy box that Jeremy Clarkson hammered it for fun in the far east. Before that I was borrowing my father’s VW Beetle which had nothing to mess with because it was not mine.

Stronger springs?, by this i mean you don’t like the cars body roll and bouncy ride? – waste of time on a 1.6 auto imho

Well, I thought I want to see how it feels like. Only changing the coil to something slightly stiffer but the suspension will be standard. Yes, I have driven some super stiff road racer before and my whole body ached after that …

Strut Brace/rear stabiliser?, strut brace will do absolutely **** all on a modern car, likewise the uprated rear anti-roll bar (you prob have one fitted anyway), however if you do manage to fit an uprated rear anti roll bar such as an eibach item it will seriously disrupt the effect of the rear suspension to the detriment of the cars road handling.

For the strut brace … okay … I thought it has something to do with preventing chassis “twisting” coz all my boy racer mates have one. Yes, not a good excuse but thought it would look as if I have something on as well … 😆

The rear stabiliser/anti roll bar … yes, I have not checked if I got one yet. I remember many years ago my mate had Koni on his … hmmm … not sure how effective that will be if I have one now.

Seriously will it affect the rear suspension that badly?

K & N Air mushroom (induction?) air filter, this will take hot air from around the engine bay and thus decrease your cars power, however you will notice an increase in induction roar which will have all the schoolgirls pointing at you in pity.

Yes, I thought so as this is one item I thought I don’t want. A loud car.

Pulley – I seriously doubt you have a supercharger fitted

No. But just lighten it … but I doubt my insurance permits that.

A torque wrench is handy but i doubt your working in a motorsport application so i’d not bother with one for the car, i use mine quite often but the wheels/suspension/steering/engine components i fiddle with need it.

This is just in case scenario as I am not engineer so need one to be on the safe side.

Your friend sounds like he’s the sort to do a drive through in halfords, just enjoy your 1.6 auto for what it is, cheap-economical transport that is bought and paid for.

😆 He is in the other part of the world I am afraid, but we used to visit car breakdown yard to salvage 2nd hand parts … he does it still …

Yes, it’s bought and paid for by my hard earn money … :mrgreen: It’s a proper car.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Lidl are doing tools today……. Arc welder for 40 notes if anyone fancies it

boblo
    Free Member

Too many references to ‘anal’ on a ‘look at my tool’ thread…. Scuttles off……

trail_rat
    Free Member

Arc welder for 40 notes if anyone fancies it

unless your repairing a gate or something equally as crappy you might as well try and weld by setting fire to 40 quid and brazing using the flame.

im wondering if ill have any tools left at this rate-the lovely travelling folk moved into the field down the road. welded a sheet of steel over the inside of the window of the garage last night and made sure all the bikes were locked up solid :S

they will be off with one of the landrovers for scrap no doubt.

robh

Trail rat how are your sockets organised? I’ve got a set where the original box has given up and like how the sockets are ordered in the top of your black cabinet.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Just peg board from halfords

I have a bergan socket tray in there now.

footflaps

Just peg board from halfords

I bought one of these on Saturday, but some bastard had nicked all the pegs out of the box, so I’m taking it back after work today!

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Socket set PSA’ is closed to new replies.